• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Kansas Fox Squirrel

SWIGIN

Back in January me and a buddy went to Kansas on a coyote hunt. I've been to this place before and knew they had these huge (to me) fox squirrels running around if it gets warm enough. Here in PA we mainly just have little grey squirrel and I never seen anything like these fox squirrels before so I needed to get one.

Th day we got to the lodge we unpacked and the guide, who knew I wanted a fox squirrel, says that we have an hour or two to kill before dinner so if I wanted I could go get a squirrel. So I grabbed the 935 and down the nearest fence row we went and after sitting at a tree that looked promising I got this fella.

Then today I get a call that the hide is done, carona19 has everything messed up and I actually forgot about this hide till about a month ago. I called and he told me how everything is slow and he'll call when it's ready, I got the call today.

Back in January me and a buddy went to Kansas on a coyote hunt. I've been to this place before and knew they had these huge (to me) fox squirrels running around if it gets warm enough. Here in PA we mainly just have little grey squirrel and I never seen anything like these fox squirrels before so I needed to get one.

Th day we got to the lodge we unpacked and the guide, who knew I wanted a fox squirrel, says that we have an hour or two to kill before dinner so if I wanted I could go get a squirrel. So I grabbed the 935 and down the nearest fence row we went and after sitting at a tree that looked promising I got this fella.

Then today I get a call that the hide is done, carona19 has everything messed up and I actually forgot about this hide till about a month ago. I called and he told me how everything is slow and he'll call when it's ready, I got the call today.

My preferred tree rat. Makes 2 1/2 of the black or gray. Better eating too. Iowa sucks for them. All we have is grays and blacks here. And the grays are not lazy bums like the Fox squirrel. They run like a scalded dog.

I have only seen 4 or 5 fox squirrels in my entire life. We have very few of them around here. I mounted the first one that I got back when I was in High school. Ironically, it's still in good shape for taxidermy. That's been 30 years ago now.

They're so rare here, now I won't pull the trigger on them. Grey squirrels though, they are plentiful.

Check out these pictures I got recently on my trail camera. Spooky looking little fella. No, it's not photoshopped.

wQcfZaA.jpg

c7vWbM1.jpg

Nice pics!

I seen my first one a couple years ago while in Kansas coyote hunting. We were watching a 300 yard field and about half way down I saw what I'd thought was a groundhog come out of the tree line. Well as a PA boy when the guide tried to tell me that was a squirrel I told him he nut's!

He took the truck and we crept up to this ''groundhog" and I'll be darned if it wasn't the biggest monster squirrel this PA boy ever saw!

Ever since then I wanted one and they have thousands, maybe millions of them in that area of Kansas. The guide would make fun of me and my fascination with the local ''grounghogs'' they have...lol

Our Kansas trip is always the first week of the year and it can be very cold so you don't see them most years.

Here's my mount. Yes, that is a coffee table. It's about half as long as it is.

NvsvqsP.jpg

Back