• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New to shotguns, building maverick 88 18.5"

We’re all full o’crap if we think we’ll be able to wake from a dead sleep grab our weapon and be able to ward off what we need to ward off. The bad guy will probably already have their weapon drawn. Keep your doors locked and hope for the best.

We’re all full o’crap if we think we’ll be able to wake from a dead sleep grab our weapon and be able to ward off what we need to ward off. The bad guy will probably already have their weapon drawn. Keep your doors locked and hope for the best.

If you did a stint in the Marine Corps I guarantee you can wake up in a nano second and react :rolleye: bad guy's not going to know the house lay out either

If you did a stint in the Marine Corps I guarantee you can wake up in a nano second and react :rolleye: bad guy's not going to know the house lay out either
Uh huh, sure.
I was in the mil too. I stood the balls to four a many of nights my friend.
But prior to that I was a teenage kid who snuck in and out of the house in the middle of the night while my parents slept. Heck I get out bed all the time now without my wife ever knowing I got up.
Even if one was awake sitting on the couch watching tv they’d be f’d if a bad guy barged in with a gun. Even if you had it sitting next to you on the end table they’d have there’s pointed at you before you grabbed yours. If you were expecting an “ambush” and yours was in condition one pointed at the door that’s a different story. But who does that?

Same thing kinda applies to the concealed carry guys. You might can stop a bad guy that was shooting at others. But if you had your weapon in your pants and someone was locked and loaded pointing their weapon at you you’d prob be shot before you could pull yours out. It’s real life, not a 1960’s Wild West movie where they say, “draw!”

Attachments

• D57A8773-D5D5-4CAD-8571-DEFFFDAA1D05.jpeg
    D57A8773-D5D5-4CAD-8571-DEFFFDAA1D05.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 12
You have to have a certain degree of intelligence or you should not own a gun. Some dolt who grabs for a gun or tries to fish one out of his pants while a gun is pointed at him has no intelligence. R.I.P. stupid one.

You have to have a certain degree of intelligence or you should not own a gun. Some dolt who grabs for a gun or tries to fish one out of his pants while a gun is pointed at him has no intelligence. R.I.P. stupid one.
Oh c’mon man.. My point exactly. Bad guy’s weapon is pointed at you and yours is still holstered.
Now imagine if you were sleeping.

Which conflict did you deploy with?
I did Enduring Freedom.
I’m not here to bash anyone, but we gotta be realistic.
I know a fam who was ambushed in the middle of the nite. Two out of four didn’t make it. The dad tried to come down the hall with his 12ga when he realized what was going on, but it was too late. He didn’t make it. These people also had a plan in place because they were being terrorized by the neighbor who killed them. The plan helped the kids to survive. The young son (12 yrs old) was also shot but the plan was for the kids to play dead if they were hit and that’s what he did. The neighbor had an AR 15 and a pistol.
I went to church with the Copeland’s. The mother was the elementary librarian. They were having problems with Fuller the neighbor so they filed a restraining order. The county clerk accidentally sent the order to him twice. When he got the second notice he thought it was yet another charge and I guess it pushed him over the edge. He proceeded to shoot up the house from the outside. Then went in. They were woken by the bullets hitting the house. The Dad who was killed got up and grabbed his shotgun. He was making his way down the hall to protect his fam and was shot dead. The young daughter (prob 6-7 yrs old) hid. The son hid as well but was found and shot. The mom was on the phone w 911 and the intruder found her, built the gun to her head and said, “party’s over b!tch” and pulled the trigger while she wasn’t on the phone.
Lovelady, TX population 587 at the time. Real life stuff. Not a quick draw McGraw John Wayne movie. Maybe if they were ex marines the might have made it?? Kinda doubt it. They were in bed thinking all was well..
I know we all want to be tough and think that “we’re ready” because we are armed. I have firearms to protect the fam as well. But chances are it’s not going to play out like our fantasies.. It’s not war where we’re in condition one sweeping houses etc. We’re sitting ducks. If it were so easy to defend oneself, then why do police get shot & killed when they’re not writing traffic tickets? Riddle me that Batman. It’s not Hollywood, Mr. Hollywood. These guys had a plan in place just in case and they still didn’t make it. Something to think about.
https://messenger-news.com/2016/10/07/dead-man-walking/

https://www.ktre.com/story/33317606...e-shot-their-son-set-for-execution-wednesday/
Keep it real, be safe and God bless.

Last edited:
Obviously someone doesn't have a family to protect. I know I've been woken from a dead sleep, grabbed my shotty to discover it was only my cat's knocking something over while they wrestled. If you cant , then don't worry about it. However, some of us are very able.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Well, my shotgun is a bit ridiculous on my night stand ... it won't fit. Anyway, the last thing I would grab for quick response would be my 10lb shotgun. I also don't want to perforate my walls, TV set or anything else, so a high-powered handgun is also a bad idea. I have a nice light 380 semi-auto on my nightstand with a spare magazine. It will get the job done just fine, and if I end up dead I'm not going to give a crap anyway.

I'm new here but I've thought about this situation a lot. I have 2 dogs. A mastiff and a little dachshund. The little dog barks at anything which then makes the big one get up and start growling. If someone was to try and get in they are excellent intruder alarms . Which also would get me up. No one is going to get in with the mastiff. Unless it was an all out assault which I think is very rare. I'd have time to grab something. I don't think I'd want to fire a 12 gauge in the house. Unless I really have to. I keep a lever action 45 for that. Of course I have my Mossberg for back up. The wife loves watching those true crime programs and I always think if only they had a big dog it never would of happened.

I'm new here but I've thought about this situation a lot. I have 2 dogs. A mastiff and a little dachshund. The little dog barks at anything which then makes the big one get up and start growling. If someone was to try and get in they are excellent intruder alarms . Which also would get me up. No one is going to get in with the mastiff. Unless it was an all out assault which I think is very rare. I'd have time to grab something. I don't think I'd want to fire a 12 gauge in the house. Unless I really have to. I keep a lever action 45 for that. Of course I have my Mossberg for back up. The wife loves watching those true crime programs and I always think if only they had a big dog it never would of happened.
That lever action 45 isn't a six-gun, and will blow a hole clean through some perp in your house, the TV behind him and the wall behind the TV.

Depends which load you have. Cowboy plain lead is pretty mild compared to my hunting loads. Its about the same as a pistol just with a 16 inch barrel. 2 or 3 inches of pine boards will stop them most of the time.

Depends which load you have. Cowboy plain lead is pretty mild compared to my hunting loads. Its about the same as a pistol just with a 16 inch barrel. 2 or 3 inches of pine boards will stop them most of the time.
I have a little Bond 45 Colt derringer. I usually carry it with stout Buffalo Bore loads when I carry it (which isn't very often). But even with just my cowboy loads I wouldn't feel comfortable letting loose in my house.

That would be only if someone actually broke in , got past the dog ,then i would consider it serious. I don't have any neighbors except in one direction and they are pretty far. I was thinking of the noise and blast from a 12 gauge would be pretty wild. I have a shooting shed I built back in the woods so I don't have to look for empty cases. With out ear plugs it is really loud inside an in closed area. I've seen people at the gun store wanting a home defense gun who have never really shot anything before from the sound of the conversation and want a pistol grip 12 gauge for their wife. I always want to say something but its not my place. If you are used to it ok . But use what ever you have in a bad situation.

That would be only if someone actually broke in , got past the dog ,then i would consider it serious. I don't have any neighbors except in one direction and they are pretty far. I was thinking of the noise and blast from a 12 gauge would be pretty wild. I have a shooting shed I built back in the woods so I don't have to look for empty cases. With out ear plugs it is really loud inside an in closed area. I've seen people at the gun store wanting a home defense gun who have never really shot anything before from the sound of the conversation and want a pistol grip 12 gauge for their wife. I always want to say something but its not my place. If you are used to it ok . But use what ever you have in a bad situation.
I have this. It is a cannon.
AA TACTICAL SHOTGUN 04.JPG

Back