• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lever Guns

You mean that changed, over time?! It seemed that the round was in the way and that it would never change. Take care. Tom Worthington

When the bevel on the loading gate is just right as you push it in with the tip of a bullet it shoves the previous cartridge forward into the magazine tube.

Until I got this straightened out on my .30-30 it was very difficult to load.

If you pushed one round in until the loading gate closed behind it you couldn't get the next one in.

To load it I had to let that round catch the gate on the rim, then start to shove the next one in but not until the gate closed!

Now that I have adjusted and got it broken in it will push that round forward and you can load another.

This of course is absolutely impossible with a gun that has a rod.

Ah ha. So if I am understanding you correctly, the trick is to make sure each cartridge goes far enough into the magazine. Once in far enough, the magazine will not allow the cartridge to come back. Is that pretty much it? Take care. Tom Worthington

Yes, I push them in until my thumbnail stops against the receiver and the rim of the cartridge is captured between the receiver and the spring loaded gate.

It will hang there as you push the second cartridge in behind it.

I don't have to do that anymore, as the loading gate is smoothed out enough now that it doesn't hang up on the rim of a loaded cartridge.

I see what you are saying. This is how I have been loading the gun. However, that doesn't fix what I was getting at.

Lets say I load 11 rounds, and then begin shooting. I fire five rounds. I then want to top off the magazine with those 6 rounds still remaining in the magazine. Can't do it. Have to wait until the magazine is completely empty to put anymore back in. I didn't know that was the case, because I have never owned a lever gun before. Take care. Tom Worthington

It took me a while to understand what was going on myself, because the Mossberg .30-30 was my first lever gun as well. Until I did I didn't really like the loading gate very well.

But once that loading gate is right you can push it in and it will shove the previous round forward into the tube a bit.

I struggled with this for the first 100+ rounds. I just didn't understand that the gate was defective and it needed to be corrected.

I believe I scraped it with the tip of a HSS Twist drill, shaving down the burr, and then dressed it with the Arkansas oilstone.

More data. I can add rounds if the magazine has very few rounds left in the magazine. If it is anywhere near full, the gate will not even press down (open). I mean not even a little bit. Take care. Tom Worthington

I did trim the follower off about 3/8" because it was working like a valve in a bicycle pump.

It went out much easier than it went in, because the cupped tail was swelling.

Looks the same "marine" style as my 30-30 Mossberg. What caliber? Did the rail come with it? (It would look nice with black stripped off, and a silver Leupold . . .)

@Sniffler CONGRATS!!!!

I currently only have one lever gun, which I bought this summer. It's a Henry Steel .44 Magnum. Trigger pull straight out of the box is 3.84-lbs and the action is pretty slick.

Actually, the lack of a side loading gate is not an issue for me. Unloading and loading is actually faster. And I don't "top off" so that argument is unimportant.

Attachments

• Henry-Lever-44.jpg
    Henry-Lever-44.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 6
@Sniffler CONGRATS!!!!

I currently only have one lever gun, which I bought this summer. It's a Henry Steel .44 Magnum. Trigger pull straight out of the box is 3.84-lbs and the action is pretty slick.

Actually, the lack of a side loading gate is not an issue for me. Unloading and loading is actually faster. And I don't "top off" so that argument is unimportant.

The loading gate thing doesn't bother me either. If this hadn't come in the day before I would probably have ended up with a Henry All Weather they had. I have wanted the SBL for a long time and I've rarely seen one.

I have 3 levers myself and would like to have more. Lol, I know, it's an addiction. I have never fired a Rossi but, a 38/357 would be a nice addition.

I'm a Winchester man, I like basic sleek smooth handling dont overbuild my lever or mess up its balance. KISS is king for lever guns. heres one of the most important gun racks in our home these have produced enough meat for a standing army, they are working guns not range toys.0709201421.jpg

I've got 2 lever guns.... back in 1997, as soon as I recieved my compensation money for the pistol confiscation i went straight out and bought a Marlin 1894 in .357.. I'd kept all my reloading gear for that caliber. Since then its had thousands of rounds through it and its slicker than a slippery thing on ice....

A couple of years ago i was shooting the Cowboy stage in a US comp with .45LC Ruger Vaqueros and a Henry lever gun, and I liked the calibre, so as soon as I got home I started looking out for one.
.45lc Marlins are available here in the Uk, but stupid money, so i ended up with a "little used" Rossi 92, which came with dies and 200 brand new brass.. all for a quarter of the price of a new Marlin..
The Rossi had been little used, but the guy had taken it apart and lost the screw holding one of the cartridge guides... i eventually found a suitable screw and its all working reliably now... just needs a few thousand rounds to smooth it down.

Both of them now wear Williams peep sights at the back... I had to drill and tap the Rossi side plate to fit it.

Both of them are just range toys.. :)

Back