• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Winter survival .

What clothing and gear do you have ready in your BOB ?
I have some wool clothing pants wool shirt jacket. Wool gloves extra wool socks.
I'm also a hunter so I will also most likely be wearing warm insulated clothing .
I also pack a little more food then normal. All of the food has high calorie content. Extra fire starting gear. A few snares . As for firearm it is what every I'm useing at the time I'm out. In a BOB situation I will also have a sidearm

Sent from my A503DL using Tapatalk

For me, a good knife is no1.. and a firesteel. Then, the content can vary depending on location/environment and season.

I got this grab and go knife atm.

ok4.jpg

A emergency blanket and a survival bag is good and dont take up much room. I have this bag.

2090-survival-bag-2.jpg

A flashlight

A bottle of water ( you loose fluid quicker in a cold climate )

Dont have cotton closest to your body. Use synthetic or merino wool as your first layer, because staying dry / dry up quicker is important. Clothes that "breath" ( like wool ) is good in a cold climate. A warm air pocket between you and your outer shell, keeps you warm ( like a quilted jacket or a padded jacket ) filling can be either synthetic or down.
You can loose a lot of heat via the head and it need to be protected.

woolcap.jpg

For body core I always used layers - undergarment, shirt, sweater and jacket plus Carhartt waterproof bib overalls. No cotton undergarments. Layering allows you to regulate your core temperature depending on your activity level. Sometimes staying a little cool is better than to warm.

My issues have always been keeping my feet, hands and head warm. For head I use a thinsulate stocking hat, a pair of goggles and a shemagh. The shemagh let's you regulate your temperature and face exposure. Issue is finding a non cotton one. But you can make your own shemagh, just big square of thin wool material. For hands recommend wool liners and insulated leather gloves. Biggest issue I've found is making sure the outer gloves are large enough so they don't restrict your movement or blood flow. I use 550 cord to tie the gloves around my neck and shoulders. This allows you to quickly remove your outer gloves if your doing some small tasks but keeps them handy. Can't afford to lose them in bitter cold weather. For feet thin inner socks and wool outer ones. I like the tall outer socks that go up just below your knees to keep your lower legs warm. Always care extra pairs of socks and change them out often. No matter how good your boots are your feet tend to get damp and cold. Atleast mine do.

Gear really depends on your situation but I'd always carry a small one burner stove. Gives you instant hot drinks and warmth no matter the weather. Campfires are nice but depending on your situation the smoke and smell immediately gives away your position. The other must have is an IFAK, knife, survival blanket and a flashlight. Plus weapons.

Regards

I have in my pack a heavy pair of vintage red plaid wool pants . It's not Woolrich there made by Monterey Club sportswear.
They seem thicker than Woolrich . Work gloves . Millitary surplus wool mittens . Wool watch cap . I have extra pair of millitary polyproplene long underwear.
I also have a 20° sleeping bag. A extra fixed blade knife . Extra food as said before . I also carry extra water in my pack. I have a primas single butane burner. I also have a few packs of hand warmers plus a rechargeable hand warmers . Backup ferro rod and a lighter .
What I wear depends on what im doing at the time . If I'm going to be hunting and the weather is cold enough I'm going to be wearing a base layer a pair of swedish wool cargo pants a base layer shirt a wool sweater . A Woolrich wool shirt jacket it's a little heaver then a regular wool flannel.
A hat or toboggan . In colder windy weather I will put a light weight wind and water proof outer jacket on when I get to where I'm going and going to be stationary . Same goes for pants. All I forgot to mention 3 pair of wool socks in my pack. Plus what I'm wearing. My boots are pack boots or just a pair of 800grm Thinsulate hunting boots.
My belt has if just camping or BOB situation.i will have a sidearm a couple open top pistol mag.holders it also will have a couple rifle mag holders. Again what is on the belt changes if I'm hunting . I'm may just have two six round belt slide shell holders for my 45-70 and a Rat 5 knife
Trauma kit and canteen.
I also in my pack have water tabs and water filter. I have several water containers in the pack water bladder.etc I also have a tarp shelter. If it's a BOB situation and I have a little time I'm going to take more either on a sled or bike with trailer. If that is possible at the time I will have a tent and a portable wood stove. I even have a spot that I have buried some extra ammo for my pistol . That's where I will meet my son. Then we will more than likely try and get to my brothers place . The head to my sisters place . As far as winter clothing im always upgrading . Wool is my favorite type of clothing . I have alot of surplus wool . I don't like the color of my vintage red plaid pants . Although out all the wool pants I have they are the best . They don't ride low like the other pants . They come up over my hips they cover my kidney area . They were made to keep you warm. There always going to be in my winter pack.
I also have a set of soft cap knee pads. I take them Everytime and every pack.

I forgot to mention I am also wanting to up grade my base layer to merino wool. Also I am going to do more up grades on my winter load out . The better gear I get . I will keep a list of the upgrades and list them as I change them and keep you up dated . I was in the middle of setting up a winter pack when I first posted this thread. I just wanted to see what you guy used and get a few ideas . I'm not to far off on the winter gear you guys use. So keep ideas comeing . Wool is my favorite mid and outer layers . It quiet and warm. So alot of wool will be used in this project

I forgot to mention I am also wanting to up grade my base layer to merino wool. Also I am going to do more up grades on my winter load out . The better gear I get . I will keep a list of the upgrades and list them as I change them and keep you up dated . I was in the middle of setting up a winter pack when I first posted this thread. I just wanted to see what you guy used and get a few ideas . I'm not to far off on the winter gear you guys use. So keep ideas comeing . Wool is my favorite mid and outer layers . It quiet and warm. So alot of wool will be used in this project

If your in actual real winter country. Or if I found myself goin back north I would have a set of poly pro underoos top and bottom. Those with some good layers served me well down to as low as -40. There is other stuff both newer and older But the GI Poly pro never failed me was easy to clean and quick to dry.

IL add one more tidbit may help someone. Not everyone can afford a 300.00 pair of 880d waterproof Danners for deep winter work/survival. We expiremented with many things while doing great white north training. There was a crazy footwear combo that worked very well and was fast and light. One each pair heavy wool issue socks(the for real heavy white wool, not thin green) then a good hi top basketball shoe (yup for real) finally the green rubber overboots. That combo was really warm and made for easy on off and fast pace moving. I bet them old green overshoes may be a surplus item today just make sure they have no pin holes.
Enjoy stay warm stay safe...

Djcala those heavy white socks you were mentioning. The closest thing I have found to those is white 80-89% wool socks made by Fox River I believe is the brand.
I would like to get the white heavyweight wool millitary socks also .I'm also working on a wool mitten system . That I can use the mittens plus have a wool liner glove underneath and have use and dexterity of the glove without removing the mittens. .
A pop top mitten or one big mittin with a slot cut into it. I have been useing igloo rag wool mittens over surplus wool liners.
I also like to use wool felt insoles for all my boots in the winter. I even use the wool liner in my insulated boots.

I now have some mid weight merino wool base layer top and bottom. A couple more coming . I also have now replaced the wool socks . With heavier US surplus wool socks + thin merino wool sock liners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to admit I moved away from the sub-tundra of the Great Frozen North, into the desert, to avoid all the bloody cold weather surviving! I do keep a parka and lots of other clothes in the truck BOB.

When I delivered the AM paper in Duluth I was 15. I was wearing Dad's 1960's real reg OD snorkel parka, with real wolf fur, & our name stenciled on the back. A thick acrylic sweater and long underwear. Blue wool USAF winter pants. Non-regulation rubber boots with foamed-in lining, over wool socks, over thin socks. Mostly I was tromping around pulling a toboggan, unless the roads had been plowed and it hadn't snowed much. Then I was riding my customized Schwinn Tornado.

Then we moved somewhere really cold. At that point I got a full snowmobile suit instead of the bibs/pants and jacket thing. Pacs with felt liners . . . I never had a pair of bunny boots. ;(
All the old gear is long gone, but I do still have my choppers. These are big leather mittens with thick wool liners. They're useless to do much, but perfect for chopping an ice-fishing hole, or cleaning the sidewalk with a snow shovel. I don't know why I keep them. To remind me of nearly freezing to death on the Muskeg? It hasn't really snowed here in 45 years.

My only cold weather gear is now motorcycle stuff. Thick insulated leathers. Insulated gauntlets. Tall waterproof boots.

I have been having hard times with hours being cut since March . Then the last day of. October I got my wrist broke and my arm crushed . I may have to have surgery not sure next week I will know more .
So haven’t gotten anything new to add to my winter bug out gear. I was thinking about adding 10x 12 canvas tarp that could be used to cover a shelter / bushcraft shelter or to make a frame shelter. I wanted one that had plenty of grommets and tie off loops. Once I got it I was going to set it up in the Aframe configuration. Then I was going to install a stove jack. Later on I was going to make a ammo can wood stove
To use with the tarp. I had a hard time finding the canvas tarp that suited me I did find a tarp that was close to what I wanted though. I know canvas not exactly light weight. It’s very rugged also helps insulate better then nylon.
I have also thought about a hunter canvas tent from panther primitive. It would be a 7x7 . It would be better then the tarp. Plus a longer term shelter if necessary.
Not sure what I’m going to do for sure as I have said I’m kinda strapped for money now. Hope you guys have a good Christmas

I have been having hard times with hours being cut since March . Then the last day of. October I got my wrist broke and my arm crushed . I may have to have surgery not sure next week I will know more .
So haven’t gotten anything new to add to my winter bug out gear. I was thinking about adding 10x 12 canvas tarp that could be used to cover a shelter / bushcraft shelter or to make a frame shelter. I wanted one that had plenty of grommets and tie off loops. Once I got it I was going to set it up in the Aframe configuration. Then I was going to install a stove jack. Later on I was going to make a ammo can wood stove
To use with the tarp. I had a hard time finding the canvas tarp that suited me I did find a tarp that was close to what I wanted though. I know canvas not exactly light weight. It’s very rugged also helps insulate better then nylon.
I have also thought about a hunter canvas tent from panther primitive. It would be a 7x7 . It would be better then the tarp. Plus a longer term shelter if necessary.
Not sure what I’m going to do for sure as I have said I’m kinda strapped for money now. Hope you guys have a good Christmas

First and foremost hope you recover from your injuries and the new year treats you better.

Regarding reasonable priced cover, you might consider military surplus ponchos and woobies. If I remember correctly they are about 60 x 85 inches and if you needed something bigger you could easily connect two. Spent many night under this combination. That and a Mylar blanket will keep you dry and warm.

Merry Christmas

Back