• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good morning all. Clear skies and 76 this morning. Another afternoon in the mid to upper 90s. Yesterday afternoon the folks about 12-15 miles north to northeast of us had a tad over an inch of rain when a couple of thunderstorms popped up. We didn't even get the clouds.
We are going to stay in this weather pattern for a while.

You all stay cool and have a great day.

Another hot one here in StL. Protests have died down and gone away, or if they happen they are very small groups of people who get a lot of media attention. Now the battle is joined over wearing masks, some claiming the whole COVID-19 virus is a hoax, others....bothering to respond to the idiots. Debates over school reopenings.

The schools in my town have never had a teachers union and we have always had the best students and the highest paid teachers in the region.

But after the school board voted to reopen schools (in spite of the coronavirus) some local teachers have started to form a union.

Engineers don’t have a union, and Doctors don’t have a union, Dentists don’t a union, But some professionals seem to think that they are special and need a union.

A union makes sure that crummy teachers get the same pay as good teachers, & makes sure they can’t get fired except in the most extreme cases; but that’s not how it works in the professional world.

The top engineer in the world makes the top money and the rest of us will make something less, depending on our abilities experience luck et cetera. It’s the same way with orthodontists or orthopedists or thoracic surgeons.

Our code of ethics requires us to go on the basis of merit in everything we do. Collective bargaining is not an option to cover up for nonuniform Participation or performance.

In a company of people these things are taken care of internally.

What you do not do is divide a company of engineers against itself such that it will work at cross purposes. This is totally unrelated to monetary compensation. It is a matter of pride in what we do, just the same as if one was an army ranger. It’s all for one and one for all.

Unfortunately when you get into huge projects like NASA, The Money overrules engineering judgement.

I worked for a small engineering company with only 10 people, and we were creating fancy buildings, but we weren’t putting men on the moon.

(We did design a replica space shuttle but that’s another story.)

There was never a structural failure due to our work. If there ever is a structural failure on one of our jobs it will be due to another error.

So . . . how come the best funded engineers and builders in the entire world managed to blow up a space shuttle?

Politics. The Big Failure was all the product of politics from beginning to end.

And I think politics will be the downfall of our local school district as well.

The schools in my town have never had a teachers union and we have always had the best students and the highest paid teachers in the region.

But after the school board voted to reopen schools (in spite of the coronavirus) some local teachers have started to form a union.

Engineers don’t have a union, and Doctors don’t have a union, Dentists don’t a union, But some professionals seem to think that they are special and need a union.

A union makes sure that crummy teachers get the same pay as good teachers, & makes sure they can’t get fired except in the most extreme cases; but that’s not how it works in the professional world.

The top engineer in the world makes the top money and the rest of us will make something less, depending on our abilities experience luck et cetera. It’s the same way with orthodontists or orthopedists or thoracic surgeons.

Our code of ethics requires us to go on the basis of merit in everything we do. Collective bargaining is not an option to cover up for nonuniform Participation or performance.

In a company of people these things are taken care of internally.

What you do not do is divide a company of engineers against itself such that it will work at cross purposes. This is totally unrelated to monetary compensation. It is a matter of pride in what we do, just the same as if one was an army ranger. It’s all for one and one for all.

Unfortunately when you get into huge projects like NASA, The Money overrules engineering judgement.

I worked for a small engineering company with only 10 people, and we were creating fancy buildings, but we weren’t putting men on the moon.

(We did design a replica space shuttle but that’s another story.)

There was never a structural failure due to our work. If there ever is a structural failure on one of our jobs it will be due to another error.

So . . . how come the best funded engineers and builders in the entire world managed to blow up a space shuttle?

Politics. The Big Failure was all the product of politics from beginning to end.

And I think politics will be the downfall of our local school district as well.

I knew a guy who worked at Goodrich? in CA near Riverside. He said he and several other engineers tried for a long time to convince their supervisors to change a design of some part of the spacecraft. He told me that the higher ups said it would be too expensive to change it now...We all saw what happened when someone over-rode a flock of engineers urgent suggestions. I cannot tell you more and he cant verify it. He is dead now. Heart attack several months ago.

Why didnt you delete your own account?

It wasn’t allowed. They told me they would inactivate my account, But they would not remove the data. Eventually there were court cases forcing this, and now they say they are removing the data.

But of course they have backup copies.....data is still on the old backup copies.

Last edited:
I knew a guy who worked at Goodrich? in CA near Riverside. He said he and several other engineers tried for a long time to convince their supervisors to change a design of some part of the spacecraft. He told me that the higher ups said it would be too expensive to change it now...We all saw what happened when someone over-rode a flock of engineers urgent suggestions. I cannot tell you more and he cant verify it. He is dead now. Heart attack several months ago.
this happens in every industry where the management thinks about safety and profits in very different ways.

Often, those industries are overtaken by smaller outfits willing to risk it all. But those folks are working for themselves and there is the difference.

Folks don’t believe that someone making a profit off of a business should be asking them to risk it all for a paycheck.

And yet this has always been the way of the world.

It wasn’t allowed. They told me they would inactivate my account, But they would not remove the data. Eventually they were court case is forcing this and now they say they are removing the data.

But of course they have backup copies.....data is still on the old backup copies.

I misunderstood what option was available. I had deactivated my account for several months for some reason...I thought that would also delete info. Who would know the difference? Thanks.

update** I just looked in the settings. The lawsuits must have been decided against FB concerning deletion of info. The deactivation option also now includes complete deletion of all information. That is good to know.

Last edited:
Good morning Mossberg Owners.

I can say, without fear of contradiction, that Portland Oregon is full of stupid mothers. Protesting at night and getting them selves tear gassed so their violent children will have an excuse to burn down the world.

It is amazing to watch the violent rioting on TV, and then watch the mayor of Portland describe it as mostly peaceful. That’s like saying someone is mostly pregnant. You are either peaceful or you are not.

And that being said there are plenty of peaceful crimes that are being engaged in. Burning down fences at the courthouse every night is not one of them.

From Chad Wolf at the Department of Homeland Security:

"Attempted arson is not a peaceful protest. Physically attacking law enforcement is not freedom of speech. Destruction of property is not peaceful assembly. Criminals perpetrating these crimes are being arrested…not law-abiding protestors."

Frankly, if I lived in the town of Portland I would not expect much mercy from the police after what they have endured for two months every night.

Anyhow, the mayor of Portland got
His stupid self teargassed, by being out there with the protesters at freaking midnight.

I don’t know what was in the fvrzking water up in Portland but those people are going totally crazy.

It’s clear that none of these people have actual jobs or responsibilities . . . out there protesting after midnight every night for months.

We sort of have a law here, established with a great amount of blood at the insistence of Abraham Lincoln, That a state cannot leave from the union from its own will.

But there’s no law that says we can’t kick them out.

I say that we put the state of Oregon (or at least the town of Portland) on probation.

No federal welfare checks no federal assistance, and, until they learn to behave and then are released from probation, they don’t get to vote in federal elections.

See how they like that law.

Questions for the Day regarding Portland Riots

Do we really think these "peaceful protesters" are coming out each night over the last two months to support a cause many probably don't even understand if they were not getting compensated? Or maybe they just like getting tear gassed each night!

The feds recently arrested seven protesters in Portland. Four were locals and three were from the east coast. Organizers you think?

Where's the money and organizational support coming from? These young local protesters are not the ones paying for professional print up signs, the purchase baseball bats, bricks or frozen bottles of water. Now getting supplied lasers.

The feds should be looking at the sources of support. And they probably don't need to look very far to identify the individuals and companies.

Regards

Last edited:
Meanwhile in our community....rival gangs have a shootout in what used to be a rather high class mall, until other malls closed, and they put a light-rail stop close to this mall, providing a way for the thugs from the inner city to ride for free to the mall.

Sigh.

Stay frosty.

And now...the DOJ inspector general has been asked to investigate the use of federal agents in Portland. More leftist resistance tactics. It's a damn shame the media won't call all of this what it really is.

I just wonder when concerned citizens are going get fed up and take care of the problems themselves ?

In November, buddy . . . in November.

I hope the DOJ decides the president wasn't sending enough men, under the current enforcement safety protocols.

Chicago was a crime-ridden hole so long that it was a running joke in Mad Magazine of the 60's.

But somehow, the gangland action is all Trump's fault.....

Back