• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Choosing the Right Self Defense Ammo...

A 124g FMJ, and a 124g JHP, have the same energy, if they are traveling at the same rate of speed. It's not like a FMJ naturally is more powerful than a JHP, it's about how the bullet acts in the target. Dumping all the energy means you get the full effect of the projectile, verses wasting some energy going clean through someone. I'm pretty sure most FMJ 9mm's go 25"+ in ballistics gel, way over the 18" maximum needed.

And for the question, I'd rather it be stopped in someone, just like the FBI and police would. It's simply proven to be more effective on targets, and less of a chance of shooting someone or something you'd rather not.
A 124g FMJ, and a 124g JHP, have the same energy, if they are traveling at the same rate of speed. It's not like a FMJ naturally is more powerful than a JHP, it's about how the bullet acts in the target. Dumping all the energy means you get the full effect of the projectile, verses wasting some energy going clean through someone. I'm pretty sure most FMJ 9mm's go 25"+ in ballistics gel, way over the 18" maximum needed.

And for the question, I'd rather it be stopped in someone, just like the FBI and police would. It's simply proven to be more effective on targets, and less of a chance of shooting someone or something you'd rather not.
I've been carrying for many years and would never consider using ball ammo i
I`ve always been a firm believer in carrying what you practice with and recently after years of redneck testing various types SD ammo I`ve reverted to using a 124gr ball ammo......

View attachment 17714

I`ve always been a firm believer in carrying what you practice with and recently after years of redneck testing various types SD ammo I`ve reverted to using a 124gr ball ammo......

View attachment 17714

View attachment 17714
I've been carrying for over thirty five years and practice weekly using ball ammo but I also practice with my carry ammo which is hollow point defense ammo. The cheaper ball ammo is to allow me to fire more rounds and keep my techniques and muscle memory at tip top performance. Ball ammo is just too dangerous to be fired out in the general population I totally believe in protecting myself and my family but I would never use ammo that I new could pass through my attacker and harm or kill an innocent bystander. I can honestly say I would rather be killed than harm an innocent bystander. Just my opinion folks.

102_9703.JPG 102_9717.JPG 102_9724.JPG

Monarch® JHP 9mm 124-Gr
@ Academy Sports $12.99 / 50 count box.

It cycled flawlessly during my Red Neck testing.
Fired from my T G2 from 14' into a solid block
of ice, I got 8" of penetration leaving a nice channel
and it flattened out nicely. Not bad for cheap ammo....

My carry ammo is 115 gr and 124 grain Sig Sauer JHP

20200325_083614_HDR-1.jpg Sig 124.jpg

102_8925 (2).jpg 102_9520 (2).JPG

365 SIG V Crown 115 gr optimized for CCW. Fired from ten feet in a sitting position using a Diamondback DB9. It cycled flawlessly and opened up nicely...

Sig Sauer 124 gr JHP fired from 14ft in a sitting position using a Taurus G2C.
It penetrated 11.5" and flowered out nicely...

@Elbert Garrett i like that sig v crown also and what ive found was very reasonable priced.
That said ive sorta come full circle and left the modern reservation again, around the homestead my EdC ammo is very hi tech from Hornandy the .454 lead ball :oldman:, it is accurate and has a loooonnng track record , penetration is "substantial" with full weight retention :cheers:. Shoots fast loads slow, so rapid reloads best accomplished with pistol #2 :laugh:
Yes sir ive gone full bat crap looney last 6 months or so.
Many gel tests online for those who prefer that over real tests on stuff like horses at 100yards back15946621216252990056655737059586.jpg 0713201335.jpg in the 19th century

Just stating the obvious, but .... in case anyone here actually does believe there exists a "magic bullet" ....

No matter what ammo you use in your standard handgun calibers, what ultimately matters is your ability to get rounds on the target effectively and as quickly as possible.

That's why I shoot Bill drills a couple times a month from my concealment holsters, and then mix it up by moving and shooting, etc.

Train. Train. Train.

Just stating the obvious, but .... in case anyone here actually does believe there exists a "magic bullet" ....

No matter what ammo you use in your standard handgun calibers, what ultimately matters is your ability to get rounds on the target effectively and as quickly as possible.

That's why I shoot Bill drills a couple times a month from my concealment holsters, and then mix it up by moving and shooting, etc.

Train. Train. Train.

I shoot a lot of controlled pairs and hammers from standing position (draw-shoot-reload-shoot) and every once in awhile I`ll do the same while the ground...
I need to work on weak hand.

102_9401 (2).JPG

I haven't put a lot of thought into my SD handgun ammo. I use Sig Sauer V-Crown, 124 grain in my EDC P938 SAS. Sig did a great job with their ammo. I consider a handgun to be a last resort but easily concealed SD firearm. Handguns don't terminate fast enough and learned that from seeing what everything under the sun will do to people while in the military long ago. Shotguns do terminate and stop very quickly for close in work which is where SD happens.
My first resort is my other EDC which is the oft criticized but always fun and effective Mossberg Shockwave. Our Shockwave is in my vehicle 100% of the time. My better half loves shooting it and we run it often so it works for us. I shoot something almost everyday so I don't practice, I just shoot for either fun or to eliminate pests.
My go to shotgun SD ammo is any brand of #1, 0 or or 00 Buck. It all works.

For just recreational shooting I use anything the weapon will digest. For serious applications (like self defense) I usually try to carry whatever rounds local law enforcement is using at the time.
Much easier to explain if necessary

Back