• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

I spent yesterday erecting a steel tube frame for my new 12x20 tarp. Which I now gotta go buy and lace up.

I was hoping to have a carport built here this spring, but it never happened. Everybody is on lockdown or too busy.

Housing is surging here. Bigtime. You can't find a good contractor. Only the most desperate fly-by-night bozos.

This means the building dept is swamped too, so maybe I'll just build it without a permit, and they won't notice. I mean, they wouldn't arrest 100 people who burned down a building. Who will notice if I put one up?

;)

I watched a lumberjack throwing an axe at the local contest, which just missed the round and clipped the iron frame hard.

It flipped in a high arc, going over a tall backstop of pipe and chain link mesh.

It stuck in the ground on the other side, about midway along the footpath to the ticket both.
Fortunately, everyone had already bought tickets, and the path was vacant.

Probably scared the snot outta the ticket booth lady, though it landed nearly 20 feet short of the refreshment stand line.

Anyhow it was the wildest throw in about 3 hours of competition.

@Scoop......thanks for the good laugh!

Good morning all....locally protests have settled down to only peaceful...but we did have a shooting at a mall that used to be really nice. 18 year old kid shot two guys, killed one, wounded the other.

His own father turned him in. Two lives destroyed, the dead guy and the shooter.

And half-a-dozen other shootings in the city overnight.

Just another great day in the city of St. Louis, Missouri.

Thankfully I live in the western burbs, not in the city.

Opening day for the Cardinals, which I did not watch. I did not want to see a bunch of grown men paid to play a game kneel to the god of Black Lives Matter.

Last edited:
Praise the Lord and Pass the Paracord!

I've taken down my temporary awning and tarps and put up a new and better temporary awning with tarps. And (ugh) pink rope!
I was wearing the blue-blocker sunglasses when I picked it up and it looked like dull orange in the dim lights of the Tractor Supply Co rope isle.

It took a long time to put up the new awning, and reconfigure all the steel tubes and clamps. I had to do it all below the old tarps, taking it all apart as I built the new one from below, then raising it up.
Well it's up now, and pink rope will stay there until the tarp rips or I finally get the new carport built.

That carport was the first thing we talked about when we moved in, because our vehicles (currently 7, with 4 operational and one under the wrench) won't all fit in the garage. We ended up doing everything else possible to the house first, plus two toolsheds, patio awnings and indoor/outdoor aquariums. Still no carport.

Today I will take it easy. For three straight days I've been up and down ladders a hundred times, and moved every heavy thing I own that doesn't move by itself.
I'm feeling it today but it's not bad.

It continues to hit 100F here in the day, and having the awning is the difference between being able to work in the "boatyard" and new toolshed, and being baked to death in 30 minutes.
I hope the folks in Texas are weathering the storm there. If I'd built this awning in Austin last week, it'd be in Portland by now. Their boatyards are getting trashed!

Chicago is proof you can have a shithole country inside of a city.

I think the radio said there were 130,000 gangsters running around Chicago, which BTW is a city largely built over thick mud.

In 1885, if you built a 4 story building in Chicago, you made the first floor 6 feet too tall, and you raised the floor as your building sank.
Eventually they invented the mat foundation, which allowed stone buildings to float better, and special piles which stabilized the flow of the mud.

So engineers have restrained the mud, and now it's the the politicians who need to take out the dirtbags!

. . .I did not want to see a bunch of grown men paid to play a game kneel to the god of Black Lives Matter.

I wasn't ever a fan of sitting around watching people play ball. I played as a kid for fun, but playing ball for a living, as an adult, was something for meatheads to do.
But a lot of folks pay a bundle, and ball players make a bundle. That's some serious social motivation. It draws fans from around the globe to see it--our giant players all as rich as kings of the Balkans!

What a show . . . but ball games, wrestling, hockey, boxing, and the circus . . . all those things lost their lure for me well before I left high school.

Yet I see TV sports will insert digital fans into empty stadiums to keep people playing and viewers paying.
Maybe they'll figure out that the players can just be digital too, and cut costs, now that they can't sell tickets and beer.

Thought for the Day

The same people who said Trump will destroy America are the ones destroying America today!

Regards

Something to celebrate today!

National Scotch Day, July 27

There are five types of Scotch.

Single malt whisky – made from malted barley, produced at one distillery in Scotland.

Single grain whisky. – made from various grains, produced at one distillery.

Blended Scotch whisky – at least one Single malt whisky blended with at least one grain whisky.

Blended Malt Whisky – Only single malt whiskies blended together.

Blended Grain Whisky – Only grain whiskies blended together.

“Single malt whisky is distilled in a copper pot still that acts as a large kettle, whereas grain whisky is made using a process called continuous distillation using a Coffeyor Patent still."

Regards

Besides the Alembic copper still (often called an onion still due to its' shape), one of the main things that gives scotch its' unique flavor, is "smoking" some peat underneath of a small percentage of the grains used in the fermentation process of the scotch whiskey.

Essentially, peat is dug up out of bogs/swamps, dried and then lit on fire in a smoker with the grains inside of it. Smoking usually doesn't occur with other types of whiskeys. Peat is very much like pre-fossilized coal.

Just a little tidbit that I remember from listening to my Grandfather tell stories. Who learned it from his Father, a scottish immigrant. And both were "moonshiners" here in the appalachian mountains.

We are on track for another week of dry 100F days in the SJV.

Today I will try and get an appointment to have my out of state car inspected . . . maybe.
There have been no available appointments because of the virus.
We were given extensions to take care of this, but they have expired and still no appointments are available.

Drive it anyway.

I would've already eaten supper while sitting in a drive-in at sonics. I hear their milkshake specials are pretty good.

Get a ticket? Tell the judge you've made every attempt to comply with the law, but the ones hired to ensure that you complied with the state laws have failed to do so. Repeatedly.

If I were a judge and you had proof that you have made every attempt to do your civic duty to abide by the laws set forth by the state, if the state is not holding up their end of the deal, I would throw it out of court.

Yes, I realize that's a wet dream and would never happen in kalifornia.

But it should be what happened everywhere.

Guten morgan alles.

Warm, humid and rainy today. Protestors minimal. Overnight shootings and killing downtown, including a 24 year old white guy who decided to roll past a cop car and group of officers, shot at it and them with a shotgun, hit one of them (arm), then sped away, pursued by cops, kept firing back at them. Caught. Arrested. Nice guy apparently.

And a few killings.

And a local night club in the city somebody shot at people waiting in line to go into a bar.

Fun times in St. Louis city.

Meanwhile, I had a great weekend. Managed to cut myself while sharpening my knives. It never fails. Never stops me though.

:)

Back