• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New stock or new scope?

Papa D

Help me decide. Looking at maybe giving my Patriot .308, Nancy Hart (yes I named her), some love this Christmas. Looking at either Boyd's Pro Varmint or a scope in that same price range. My local range goes out to 400+ yards and I'm running the stock Bushnell 3-9x40 scope. I know nothing about stocks or scopes. I don't hunt and shoot factory ammo, for now. Are there any other stocks that you'd recommend over the Boyd's, in that mid $100-200? If so, why? I know I'd prefer a mil-dot scope over a BDC.

Sent from my Vivo XL4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I put a Vortex 4x12x44 on my .308 and am really impressed. You may want a bit more power for 400 yards. My range is just 200 yards and my scope is fine for that. Mirage always seems to creep in too on hot days and the barrel starts heating up so often I am at lower power settings anyways. I hope you get more ideas from others here.
If you don't handload you really should consider the option. It really expands the joy of your range time You may find it magnifies the enjoyment of your range day experience. Tailored loads for your gun and range is awesome and the results satisfying .
Most of all enjoy every day and feed that .308 well and often!!

I put a Vortex 4x12x44 on my .308 and am really impressed. You may want a bit more power for 400 yards. My range is just 200 yards and my scope is fine for that. Mirage always seems to creep in too on hot days and the barrel starts heating up so often I am at lower power settings anyways. I hope you get more ideas from others here.
If you don't handload you really should consider the option. It really expands the joy of your range time You may find it magnifies the enjoyment of your range day experience. Tailored loads for your gun and range is awesome and the results satisfying .
Most of all enjoy every day and feed that .308 well and often!!
Thanks. Yeah, I am planning to hand load. We finally bought our first house and I can actually plan to build a bench now. My boss is an avid shooter, loader, builder, trainer. So I've been getting encouraging words from him on the matter too.

Did you end up with better glass or stock?
Neither yet. Spoke with my boss, the avid loader/trainer guy. He advised more rounds down range before I replace the glass. Spend money on ammo instead of gear. I can appreciate that.

Not getting to shoot as often as I'd like, but hoping to FINALLY get some groups on paper tomorrow or next weekend. Last outing with my .308 Patriot, I was hitting the 230yd steel VERY consistently.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Wasn't able to shoot. The Range I have been going to for the past 5 years is gone. The guy that made it available to be used shut it down. No idea why. [emoji26][emoji22][emoji24]

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Back