• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How is your 930 SPX doing?

PTAGP100

Copper BB
Hi Im a newbie in the site, never owned a shotgun ever. My experience with firearms is limited with my 1 semi auto a Glock 20sf and my 1 GP 100 revolver. I qualified twice as a sharpshooter with an m16 rifle back in the army. 2002-2006 other than that im pretty much a newbie.
My big question is hows you guys' 930 SPX? Is still reliable at least with the self defense rounds that should be running with it. What year did you buy your SPX? I ordered mine from my LGS 2 weeks ago, im just hoping i dont get buyers remorse because im on a very limited budget and i cant afford to buy another gun if this one is a dud.
Any one that owns the latest gen version of this how is yours doing?
I am just planning to use it for Home defense ang range shootig.

Field strip and clean all the factory oil and grease out first. I love this guy doing a field strip on his glass top table, with the little votives in the background. I see true Samurai spirit here ::perfect:

While doing this, feel for any rough/sharp edges, and lightly knock them back with some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. While reassembling, some people make it "wet" (i.e., lots of oil and grease), but I run mine "dry." I put grease under the bolt lock, and on the bolt rails, in the receiver, and everything else gets dry-lube. You can get a can of WD-40 Dry Lube at Walmart for ~$6, and its good to go.

I do not believe in, "break-in,", I do this, "break-down," before heading to the range. Rough machining and sharp edges are killers for any semi-auto, and break-in just galls and gouges surfaces.

After that, I'd try running 200 rounds of cheap (Suprema is good) bulk ammo. If that runs, you're all set. Run a couple of boxes of 00 and slugs so you know what to expect.

I've had a Benelli M1, M2 and M3. All much smoother than the 930, but not nearly as heavily built. 3-gunners prefer the Benelli/Stoeger M3000 platform because they do choke less, but no one has done as much work on the 930 platform, except OR3Gun, and they seem to be happy with theirs, as am I.

Hi Rob, thanks so much fk
Field strip and clean all the factory oil and grease out first. I love this guy doing a field strip on his glass top table, with the little votives in the background. I see true Samurai spirit here ::perfect:

While doing this, feel for any rough/sharp edges, and lightly knock them back with some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. While reassembling, some people make it "wet" (i.e., lots of oil and grease), but I run mine "dry." I put grease under the bolt lock, and on the bolt rails, in the receiver, and everything else gets dry-lube. You can get a can of WD-40 Dry Lube at Walmart for ~$6, and its good to go.

I do not believe in, "break-in,", I do this, "break-down," before heading to the range. Rough machining and sharp edges are killers for any semi-auto, and break-in just galls and gouges surfaces.

After that, I'd try running 200 rounds of cheap (Suprema is good) bulk ammo. If that runs, you're all set. Run a couple of boxes of 00 and slugs so you know what to expect.

I've had a Benelli M1, M2 and M3. All much smoother than the 930, but not nearly as heavily built. 3-gunners prefer the Benelli/Stoeger M3000 platform because they do choke less, but no one has done as much work on the 930 platform, except OR3Gun, and they seem to be happy with theirs, as am I.

Hi Rob, thanks so much for the reply. When you said the 930 is heavily built compared to the M1, M2 and M3 what do you mean by that? Right now im just getting paranoid about my purchase this gun will be my last purchase so far it has not arrived yet on my LGS and there is always a long line over there so I cant just go there and cancel my order/ or to ask for an exhange if possible. But overall do you think its a worthy buy to lets says a FN SLP tactical and a Beretta 1301 tactical as a home defense shotgun? Im not doing 3 gun, I just want a reliable home defense gun and a range gun for target practice.

Hi Rob, also what do you mean when you say the Benellis and Stoeger M3000 choke less vs the 930? Im a newbie Im sorry.

No problem! By heavily built, I mean the barrel wall is almost 3 times the thickness of a Benelli. In the early 90s, when police departments were first getting Benelli contracts, I had a smith friend who made several hundred dollars, pressing the dents out of Benni barrels that got dented, banging into concrete steps.

Benelli & the Stoeger M3000/M3K are generally considered to run more smoothly, and with fewer failures. Bear in mind, most 930 failures relate to the rough finish on the various parts. Metal fragments in the gas ports, rough edges on the shell latch, rough edges in the joint between the mag tube and extension. I call it an AK that was fitted like an AR.:rolleye:

Comparing it to the FN SLP is like comparing a Camaro to Lamborghini. Both have powerful engines. The Lamborghini will be smoother in every respect, and will be faster. The Camaro will hold it's own to a point, but fundamentally its meant to run fast for short distances, deliver power in bursts, and yes, you can pull a UHaul trailer, if you have to.:crazy:

The Lamborghini will cost a minimum of 2-3 times as much. Baaaare minimum.

The 930 is a good gun, and there are thousands out there, with no issues. Benellis with problems don't get nearly the noise. I've had both. I chose the 930 for particular reasons.

I have added some OR3Gun parts, and stainless gas pistons. I also switched out my blued mag tubes for stainless model 9200 tubes, and mirror polished them.

No problem! By heavily built, I mean the barrel wall is almost 3 times the thickness of a Benelli. In the early 90s, when police departments were first getting Benelli contracts, I had a smith friend who made several hundred dollars, pressing the dents out of Benni barrels that got dented, banging into concrete steps.

Benelli & the Stoeger M3000/M3K are generally considered to run more smoothly, and with fewer failures. Bear in mind, most 930 failures relate to the rough finish on the various parts. Metal fragments in the gas ports, rough edges on the shell latch, rough edges in the joint between the mag tube and extension. I call it an AK that was fitted like an AR.:rolleye:

Comparing it to the FN SLP is like comparing a Camaro to Lamborghini. Both have powerful engines. The Lamborghini will be smoother in every respect, and will be faster. The Camaro will hold it's own to a point, but fundamentally its meant to run fast for short distances, deliver power in bursts, and yes, you can pull a UHaul trailer, if you have to.:crazy:

The Lamborghini will cost a minimum of 2-3 times as much. Baaaare minimum.

The 930 is a good gun, and there are thousands out there, with no issues. Benellis with problems don't get nearly the noise. I've had both. I chose the 930 for particular reasons.

I have added some OR3Gun parts, and stainless gas pistons. I also switched out my blued mag tubes for stainless model 9200 tubes, and mirror polished them.

Thanks so much Rob!!!!! This really gives me peace of mind with my purchase. Can I have your email adress if I have more questions in the future if possible? Dont worry im not a stalker, :)

My 10 year+ old 930 SPX has been dependable. I did put a OR3gun Marine tube in there to make it 100% with low recoil shells. I did that for when I introduced young kids and women to shotguns.

Back