• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bizarre failure

Misery930

.270 WIN
The gun has been collecting dust in the back of my safe for a while because it won't feed from the magazine and then today I felt optimistic, tried messing with it and this happened. It released the follower from the magazine and tried to feed it and the spring into the chamber ... I've never seen anything like it.

K1FJl4c.jpg

Regarding the magazine feeding problem, I've tried replacing the shell stop, polishing the claw face of the original shell stop, changing followers, magazine springs, changing lifters, nothing works. I'm at a loss for how it could fail to release shells from the magazine when loaded to 7 but it tried to feed the follower when I hit the bolt release. I'm 50/50 right on throwing it into a river/off of a mountain or sending it back to mossberg.

that appears to be an aftermarket follower.

It would be even less stressful to throw it in my trunk... ;)

More info on the mods, if any? You didn't overly polish the stops as in maybe removed too much metal? Let's see some pics, please...

that appears to be an aftermarket follower.

And? It's the same follower that had been in the gun for a while now. I put the original follower back in because I don't want to waste my good parts on it.

It would be even less stressful to throw it in my trunk... ;)
More info on the mods, if any? You didn't overly polish the stops as in maybe removed too much metal? Let's see some pics, please...

I polished the edge of the shell stop because I heard it might fix this, it did nothing to resolve the issue, I bought a new one and installed it but again, it did nothing. I had a miculek lifter in there for a while that doesn't have the cutout at the end but again, removing it and replacing it with the original follower did nothing.

And? It's the same follower that had been in the gun for a while now. I put the original follower back in because I don't want to waste my good parts on it.

good choice.

You appear to have a shell-latch issue. Are you sure it is secured by the pin in both lower & upper receiver holes? I've seen a Benelli with the same failure because of an improperly installed latch pin.

Back