• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dummy shells

fellmann

Esoteric
Supporter
If you are using dummy shells, what type are you using ?

I am using these. They are easy to handle and work ok, but, they seem to wear out pretty fast ? Last time i used them, one shell got "stuck" in the magtube. It could go back and forth but not come out :D so i had to unscrew the magtube.

20190110_191634_hd.jpg

Well, that would be easier and cheaper too.

Jolly good show mate.

Just take some shot shell cases and fill them with expanding insulation foam that you get in a can from any big box store. Once dry simple cut off the crimp portion to the right case length. I've found that hacksaw with a fine tooth blade works well.

One cheap can of foam can make hundreds of dummy shells.

Regards

Lots of ways to create dummy rounds. Dummy rounds are for loading drills. They should have some weight to them.

Snap Caps are fine for dry-firing but they don't simulate the weight of a loaded shell.

I have some A-Zoom snap caps. Amazon sells them for $20 for 6 each. They are a weighted aluminum solid one piece design and the nose is nicely rounded. There is no plastic to wear down or get cuts and nicks from repeated use. I am sure there are less expensive options but these should last a while.

I've been looking for dummies as well. I can't understand why they're more expensive than real ammo. The snap caps, sure, they have more to them. But regular dummies should be cheap. I don't have any hulls yet, just bought my gun. Maybe I'll wait till I finally get my ammo and have a chance to shoot it then make my own.

I've been looking for dummies as well. I can't understand why they're more expensive than real ammo. The snap caps, sure, they have more to them. But regular dummies should be cheap. I don't have any hulls yet, just bought my gun. Maybe I'll wait till I finally get my ammo and have a chance to shoot it then make my own.

My guess it that they have to be made in a different assembly line and also that demand is far lower than regular shells so LOSAD, the price goes up...

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

I made some dummy/snap cap rounds out of spent hulls. There are some videos on YouTube floating around..here is what I did different.
I used 1/4" dia. rubber O-ring material 1/2" long instead of hot glue for the primer cap. I used OD green hulls from spent 00 buckshot that's a totally different color than my regular shells, and I used BBs for added weight.
They have been holding up very well.

I made some dummy/snap cap rounds out of spent hulls. There are some videos on YouTube floating around..here is what I did different.
I used 1/4" dia. rubber O-ring material 1/2" long instead of hot glue for the primer cap. I used OD green hulls from spent 00 buckshot that's a totally different color than my regular shells, and I used BBs for added weight.
They have been holding up very well.
These look like real shells (color sets them apart), so when practicing, make sure that they are the ONLY thing around your gun.....but you already knew that. Stay safe!

I ordered these a week ago on E bay they should be in next few days.
12 GAUGE 2 3/4" SNAP CAPS DUMMY TRAINING ROUNDS SET OF 10 "SAFETY BLUE"

Were reasonable priced at 21.99 and should last awhile.

Hi, I bought some Tipton snap caps for cycling / dry firing drills. The gun will not fire with one of these in battery. The gun fires fine with nothing in the firing chamber, however it seems to cycle them okay. They don't seem super smooth going into the magazine tube, but I am not claiming to be an expert for sure. I have not had a chance to get to the range with this and see if normal live rounds will fire. Does anyone know if this is normal for these types of snap caps?
tipton.jpg

Un
Hi, I bought some Tipton snap caps for cycling / dry firing drills. The gun will not fire with one of these in battery. The gun fires fine with nothing in the firing chamber, however it seems to cycle them okay. They don't seem super smooth going into the magazine tube, but I am not claiming to be an expert for sure. I have not had a chance to get to the range with this and see if normal live rounds will fire. Does anyone know if this is normal for these types of snap caps?
View attachment 24746

Unless something us catching and not allowing the bolt to close properly, there is nothing that should prevent normal operation.

Back