• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Huge Ejection Problem with My Mossberg 590M

joeodd2

Copper BB
Hello everyone. I own a Mossberg 590M, this is my first gun, and I'm still learning a lot about how to care for it. Recently I've had an issue with the gun ejecting rounds. The extractors on the bolt don't catch the round after it's fired, which always leaves the bolt pushed back from the spent shell. If I rack it hard and pull back, it catches but does not eject the round.

Also, when the bolt is pulled back, I've noticed that it sticks out a bit, I've tried disassembling it to see if I could get the bolt to go back further, but it doesn't. I recently changed forearms and thought maybe the action arms were too short, but I just put the original back on, and I'm having the same issue. I really think it might be a bad bolt or an alignment issue. Any ideas? I also included a few pics showing what happens after I fire and after I rack it to retrieve the spent round.

20200703_102154.jpg 20200703_102034.jpg

Did you buy it new or used?
New, I got it back in April.

I found a big part of the problem. A few weeks ago I thought I lost the ejection screw that screwed into the receiver, but it turns out the screw got lodged at the back of the receiver between that the bold slide. After I pried the screw out, it went back a little further but for some reason, it's still not going back far enough. The ejectors on the bolt still stick out about 1/4 inch or so. At this point, I'm not sure if I somehow messed up the bolt and/or the receiver by racking it with that screw back there for the last two weeks. Also, the small hole was the pointy part of the bolt is supposed to slide in doesn't seem to go in smoothly, if I push the bolt back in there manually it becomes incredibly difficult to rack again.

And the piece in the receiver, where that pin like part of the bolt goes into, does move back and forth, but I'm not sure if it should do that or not. I tried pushing it all the way back and forward but still the same results.

I hope it isn't too buggered up. Take it to a gunsmith and ask him to check everything over.
Yeah, I think that's the next step. Going to call Mossberg tomorrow as well, I've heard they send replacement parts hassle-free. Maybe they can send me a new receiver? Although that's pretty much the entire gun. But, I'm still not sure if the bolt carrier itself isn't jacked up as well.

Back