• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What's "wrong" with the 464

. . . the Mossberg has a totally different style of extractor which is easier to damage but far easier to replace if you know the correct way . . . .

BTW, This is not true, even if the bolt is already out. The Marlin is much easier to change, because the 464 is harder to get apart.

Usually this is an issue of design engineering tolerances (I'm an engineer that used to be a machinist, so this is right in my wheelhouse). Engineers designing components dont understand manufacturing processes, so the manufacturing engineers have a heck of a time trying to make the parts work, and there is almost never good feedback to the design engineers. On top of that, improvements (like polishing parts) add cost, so making things better makes them more pricey, and that often works against the marketing value proposition that is the basis for the entire product line.

Perfect case in point is firearms for which the #1 modification is to polish the feed ramp.

I say go ahead, get that 464 & start breaking it in. I recommend the blued & walnut version with a few tweaks....

VH53Q4z.jpg

That a beauty.

I have a feeding problem with my 464....going to have to take it apart and figure out why.
Any help is appreciated. Sometimes the bolt will not go completely forward and have too back it off again about 1/4 way and then the bolt will go home. I tried different types of ammo and doesn`t seem to make any difference.

Other
I have a feeding problem with my 464....going to have to take it apart and figure out why.

Search this topic to see if anyone else has had a similar problem and/or disassembly instructions/pictures. I think taking it apart is a good thing--look for areas that might be rubbing. Good Luck!

I have only owned leverguns for a few years, but my .30-30 and .357 are both sensitive to ammo length.
When I press the OAL a bit shorter than book length, just 0.010" or less, action reliability increases a lot.

I still can get a hang, but holding/running the gun correctly in a big deal. It's easy to short-shuck.

On my 464 I spent lots of time polishing excess marinecote silver finish off the internal receiver.
If yours is Marinecote rather than blue, i'd look for spots where it seems to drag on the bolt.

The top of my hammer didn't ride solid on the bolt, but ran along one edge. The wear mark was evident.
I dressed the hammer off until it had good contact along the underside of the bolt.

I broke an extractor, when an overlength round stuck out of battery. They are weak so order a spare.

My hammer fall wasn't 100% solid. I had to bend the link which forces mainspring to hammer to remove the slop.

I did some other stuff I can't recall now, but it's all recorded in these pages if you look.

I have only owned leverguns for a few years, but my .30-30 and .357 are both sensitive to ammo length.
When I press the OAL a bit shorter than book length, just 0.010" or less, action reliability increases a lot.

I still can get a hang, but holding/running the gun correctly in a big deal. It's easy to short-shuck.

On my 464 I spent lots of time polishing excess marinecote silver finish off the internal receiver.
If yours is Marinecote rather than blue, i'd look for spots where it seems to drag on the bolt.

The top of my hammer didn't ride solid on the bolt, but ran along one edge. The wear mark was evident.
I dressed the hammer off until it had good contact along the underside of the bolt.

I broke an extractor, when an overlength round stuck out of battery. They are weak so order a spare.

My hammer fall wasn't 100% solid. I had to bend the link which forces mainspring to hammer to remove the slop.

I did some other stuff I can't recall now, but it's all recorded in these pages if you look.
Thanks for the tips :)

Well, I can now opine about "what is wrong" with Mossberg Owners Forum and this sub-forum: that would be when 71 people who read my initial post and who were so busy or so knowledgeable they didn't have the time nor inclination to even post a simple "yes or no"...!

Well, I can now opine about "what is wrong" with Mossberg Owners Forum and this sub-forum: that would be when 71 people who read my initial post and who were so busy or so knowledgeable they didn't have the time nor inclination to even post a simple "yes or no"...!

@STORMINORMAN

I didn't know there was something "wrong" with the Mossberg Owners Forum. I'm terribly sorry that you feel that way. Maybe you can find another discussion forum with more members who are avid 464 owners. Marlin Owners? Winchester Owners? Henry Owners? LeverGun Owners-R-Us? Somebody must be out there who bought the same rifle as you did, but it is highly unlikely, even here.

I'm just throwing out some ideas.

Very few members here at MossbergOwners have bought the 464.

Maybe there is a reason for that.

I hope you have a wonderful experience with owning a 464.

Last edited:

I’m afraid that of the 71 people who read your post, very few of them own a Mossberg 464, and only 3 know how to take it apart and put it back together again. Also considering the size of this forum it was never 71 people. Multiple people took multiple views. I probably looked at it three times to see if anyone had answered you.

I simply couldn’t provide an answer off the cuff.

Now if you’re Prepared to just give up and burn your bridges behind you, history, as they say will little note nor long remember the matter.

Shall I go dig my 464 out of the back of the safe and try and answer your questions?

I’m afraid that of the 71 people who read your post, very few of them own a Mossberg 464, and only 3 know how to take it apart and put it back together again. Also considering the size of this forum it was never 71 people. Multiple people took multiple views. I probably looked at it three times to see if anyone had answered you.

I've been following this thread and I can't even answer the question, "What's a 464?"

Just a note to everyone here, newbies and old timers alike: if at first you don’t succeed, try again.

It’s really OK to bump a post, to try and get some attention to your post, and to post about your post in a similar post.

If you’re not getting speedy service here, you have to remember that Patience is a virtue and that everybody posting here is doing so on a volunteer basis without one penny of physical compensation.

Patience, surely, IS a virtue! I guess I was just a hair disappointed that a question that could (might?) have been answered with a simple "YES or NO" was not responded to after multiple days & views... Dozens?

I had no idea how few 464 owners there were on this forum. Looking at the number of posts and new threads year to date I should have envisioned little or no responses.

I guess I could have reworded my initial question down to this:

Was this gun actually designed to allow the hammer to fall SAFELY from the cocked position with the tang safety in the rear position (i.e., with the safety "ON")?

P.S. Since I have now disassembled it I can state the answer is YES. The tang safety physically blocks the hammer from falling forward enough to impact the firing pin. In some respects it is not totally unlike a de-cocking lever on a semi-automatic pistol (think Walther PPK, various SIGs, FN FTX, etc.) except it is done by pulling the trigger. Disconcerting at best (1st?) to a "lever-action newbie" when pulling the trigger allows the hammer to fall whether the tang safety is in the fully ON or OFF position. I initially thought there must be a mechanical problem, a broken part.

I don’t keep that gun handy at all. It’s in the very back of my safe behind 20 other rifles.

In order to get into the safe and look at my 464 I have to move a car, an engine on a stand, the front & rear halves of a project car body, 2 big floor jacks, a bunch of parts, and a big tool cart. Also my motorcycle is in the way. It weighs 800lbs and I have it partly disassembled right now.

I am an old man with arthritis. I injured my neck recently and I was sick last week. I wasn’t in the mood to go out and move all that shit around just so I could answer your question.

... Since I have now disassembled it I can state the answer is YES. The tang safety physically blocks the hammer from falling forward enough to impact the firing pin. In some respects it is not totally unlike a de-cocking lever on a semi-automatic pistol...

Norman, Thank you for the follow-up on that. It is contributions like yours that supply the fuel to increase our knowledge and safety.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.
index.php

I don’t keep that gun handy at all. It’s in the very back of my safe behind 20 other rifles.

In order to get into the safe and look at my 464 I have to move a car, an engine on a stand, the front & rear halves of a project car body, 2 big floor jacks, a bunch of parts, and a big tool cart. Also my motorcycle is in the way. It weighs 800lbs and I have it partly disassembled right now.

I am an old man with arthritis. I injured my neck recently and I was sick last week. I wasn’t in the mood to go out and move all that shit around just so I could answer your question.

It was certainly never my intent to cause anyone any distress nor unnecessary effort. Sorry to hear of your injury and past illness, hope you have recovered and are feeling better.

P.S. I too, am an elderly (ancient, antique?) guy with torn tendons in both septugenerian shoulders: I had the luck to place my safe where I basically can't block easy access to it no matter how much clutter there may be.

Norman, Thank you for the follow-up on that. It is contributions like yours that supply the fuel to increase our knowledge and safety.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.
index.php

So, Scoop, Thanks for the Welcome!

Just how far east of Cheatham County ( where hickok45 hails from) are you? Used to drive through the beautiful State of TN en route from Dayton (Ohio, not TN) to Florida for years and years before heading out West (the Left Coast).

Cheers!

It was certainly never my intent to cause anyone any distress nor unnecessary effort. Sorry to hear of your injury and past illness, hope you have recovered and are feeling better.

P.S. I too, am an elderly (ancient, antique?) guy with torn tendons in both septugenerian shoulders: I had the luck to place my safe where I basically can't block easy access to it no matter how much clutter there may be.

All these things are much easier than we make them sometimes. ;)

I had other unfortunate events over the past week and just haven’t had motivation to dig into anything. In spite of what I said I did have to move all that stuff around in my garage because my garage door screwed up on me and I had to fix it.

Except the motorcycle which is still disassembled right in front of the safe.

I still can’t get into the safe but at least I don’t keep anything in there that I would need in an emergency. It is mostly things I bought as a hedge against inflation.

I guess I was just a hair disappointed that a question that could (might?) have been answered with a simple "YES or NO" was not responded to after multiple days & views...

Norm: thanks for posting the info on your gun safety but you failed to provide pictures of the hammer with safety on/safety off... ;) Sometimes the answer to a question does not exist for the simple reason that someone does not know. No answer means no so sometimes you have to do a little figuring on your own (as you did) and create your own answer. That answer should be shared with the forum for the next person who may have the same question. BTW: Welcome Aboard! :)

The internet forum format is sadly waning. Not just here, but elsewhere. People come and people go. Sometimes they return but sometimes they do not return because they have gone into the great beyond... :( A forum is a little less instantaneous and not very suitable for impatient sorts like younger guys and gals staring at their phones. :rolleyes: Everyone wants the instant feedback of FB, Reddit, IG or others.

A number of "regulars" will post here every day or every other day or week. Any of those people I would be honored to have a beer or coffee with. But a lot of lurking goes on as well and not many people will respond to a question they do not know the answer to.

Back