• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Merry Christmas Mossberg Nation

Let us never forget!

T'was the night before Christmas, he lived all alone in a one bedroom house, made of plaster and stone.
I had come down the chimney with presents to give, and to see just who in this home did live.
I looked all about, a strange sight I did see: no tinsel, no presents, not even a tree.
No stocking by the mantle, just boots filled with sand; on the wall hung pictures of far distant lands.
With medals and badges, awards of all kinds, a sober thought came through my mind.
For this house was different, it was dark and dreary. I found the home of a soldier, at once I could see clearly.
The soldier lay sleeping; silent, alone, curled up on the floor, in this one bedroom home. Not how I pictured a US soldier.
Was this the hero of whom I'd just read, curled up on a poncho, the floor for a bed?
I realized the families that I saw this night, owed their lives to these soldiers who were willing to fight.
Soon 'round the world, the children would play and grownups would celebrate a bright Christmas Day.
They all enjoyed freedom, each month of the year, because of the soldiers like the one lying here.
I couldn't help wonder how many lay alone on a cold Christmas Eve in a land far from home.
The very thought brought a tear to my eye; I dropped to my knees and started to cry.
The soldier awakened and I heard a rough voice, "Santa, don't cry. This life is my choice.
I fight for freedom, I don't ask for more; my life is my God, my country, my corps."
The soldier rolled over and drifted to sleep; I couldn't control it, I continued to weep.
I kept watch for hours, so silent and still, and we both shivered from the cold night's chill.
I didn't want to leave on that cold, dark night, this guardian of honor, so willing to fight.
Then the soldier rolled over, with a voice soft and pure, whispered, "Carry on Santa, it's Christmas Day, all is secure."
One look at my watch and I knew he was right, "Merry Christmas my friend, and to all a good night."

Merry Christmas men.

Even with as terrible as 2020 has been, we still have a lot to be thankful for.

Take some time to spend with those that you love, and those that love you back and don't just tell them how much they mean to you but show them. Better days are ahead.

A Special Merry Christmas to all our Military Veterans. For those who never had the opportunity to serve these words hopefully will provide some insights into how proud your brothers and sisters are concerning their service to our nation.

God Bless

TO UNDERSTAND A MILITARY VETERAN YOU MUST KNOW - - -
We left home as teenagers or in our early twenties for an unknown adventure.
We loved our country enough to defend it and protect it with our own lives.
We said goodbye to friends and family and everything we knew.
We learned the basics and then we scattered in the wind to the far corners of the Earth.
We found new friends and new family.
We became brothers and sisters regardless of color, race or creed.
We had plenty of good times, and plenty of bad times.
We didn't get enough sleep.
We smoked and drank too much.
We picked up both good and bad habits.
We worked hard and played harder.
We didn't earn a great wage.
We experienced the happiness of mail call and the sadness of missing important events.
We didn't know when, or even if, we were ever going to see home again.
We grew up fast, and yet somehow, we never grew up at all.
We fought for our freedom, as well as the freedom of others.
Some of us saw actual combat, and some of us didn't.
Some of us saw the world, and some of us didn't.
Some of us dealt with physical warfare, most of us dealt with psychological warfare.
We have seen and experienced and dealt with things that we can't fully describe or explain, as not all of our sacrifices were physical.
We participated in time honored ceremonies and rituals with each other, strengthening our bonds and camaraderie.
We counted on each other to get our job done and sometimes to survive it at all.
We have dealt with victory and tragedy.
We have celebrated and mourned.
We lost a few along the way.
When our adventure was over, some of us went back home, some of us started somewhere new and some of us never came home at all.
We have told amazing and hilarious stories of our exploits and adventures.
We share an unspoken bond with each other, that most people don't experience, and few will understand.
We speak highly of our own branch of service, and poke fun at the other branches.
We know however, that, if needed, we will be there for our brothers and sisters and stand together as one, in a heartbeat.
Being a Veteran is something that had to be earned, and it can never be taken away.
It has no monetary value, but at the same time it is a priceless gift.
People see a Veteran and they thank them for their service.
When we see each other, we give that little upwards head nod, or a slight smile, knowing that we have shared and experienced things that most people have not.
So, from myself to the rest of the veterans out there, I commend and thank you for all that you have done and sacrificed for our country.
Try to remember the good times and make peace with the bad times.
Share your stories.
But most importantly, stand tall and proud, for you have earned the right to be called a VETERAN.

I'M PROUD TO BE A VETERAN!

Hey you guys . . .Shopping and wrapping gifts is not my specialty, but I finally got all my presents wrapped, and the easy part of Christmas begins.

I always remember each year, at Christmas, how the Air Force shipped us from Newburgh NY to Cayucos CA; and we landed at some dinky Texas motel on Christmas Eve.

We kids were nearly 4 and 5. Not only did it snow that night (somewhere around Amarillo I suppose) we woke to a land turned from dirt to snow like magic. Also like magic, our parents had produced a real Christmas tree, and elaborate presents for us from a mysterious thing clamped atop our station wagon. My mom produced Christmas food on a hot plate and electric teapot, while dad adjusted the seats on our new tricycles.

We were so lucky growing up. Dad was there every Christmas, except the year he went to Vietnam. He finally showed up in Phoenix about Jan 7, with presents from Japan and Vietnam, only to tell us we were moving from Luke to Duluth AFB, in the winter.

Thanks to Scoop for letting me use his account to update all you Mosskiddies about my progress tonight.

images

I just finished Florida and am heading north by northwest. I was a little behind but I have caught up a bit because New York wouldn't let me in after crossing the Atlantic. Thank you New York...

Santa, you are welcome to use my account anytime.
Scoop [Just leave the .45 stuff on my porch behind the bench. Thanx.]

Happy Christmas to all!

Our kids and grandkids, and we, decided we were all healthy enough for Christmas, and all came for dinner yesterday.

I made a 9lb prime rib with mashed potatoes and carrots with onions. I bought lots of snacks and we had pie, cake, pudding, and 4 kinds of ice cream. Presents for everyone, & everything came off well. The roast was perfect, nothing burned, and we didn't cook too much or too little.

Not one kid showed up with a runny nose, sniffles, bandaids, broken finger, arm in a cast, black eye . . . nuthin'! . . . and nobody over ate or drank too much. There was not a single kiddie squabble, and nobody even mentioned politics, disease, or the election.

I was expecting the usual melee, but it was sort of a Christmas miracle.

Merry Christmas to all of yous. No family get together for us this year, but we are communicating. I have been watching the events unfold in Nashville for about an hour.

When I first heard about the explosion I assumed and hoped it was a gas leak. Apparently that is not the case.

Ernst, as I read your post I tried to compare military life and civilian life. Several things stood out. The part about race, creed, and color. The thing that I remember was the leaders, drill sargents, company commanders, up to base commanders never used that as a tool. They were true team builders, not using our differences to divide us.

I was in the air force. We were the butt of jokes from every other branch, but they also knew we were up to do our jobs to help them. Then again we had a few special names for them as well, and jokes too. Nowadays in civilian life those very things are considered bullying. I tell ya in basic training someone making a joke about me or razzing me was the least of my worries. I knew when the chips were down we would all pull together.

Now, I know the military is not a democracy, nor would it be able to function as one. There is hardly a day goes by that I see or hear some politician or beaurecrat running their mouth and think someone needs to tell them to sit down and shut up until they are spoken to. Then they should only speak if they have something constructive to say.

Anyways, enough rant. Thanks for the post and A salute and thank you to fellow veterans.

Merry Christmas to all... and thanks to Veterans of every country, and every branch of service...

Christmas here was a good day (apart from MIL overstaying her welcome..!), but from midnight we're back into lock-down until further notice.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Back