• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Home defense Buck/Slug vs Shot

Brog

Copper BB
I live in an apartment currently and the longest sightline is about 36'. I have neighbors on 3 of the 4 sides and below, I'm on top floor. I have a Mav 88 for home defense. My question is what you would recommend for ammo choice? I have 00 Buck, Slugs, mini shells and 7.5 shot. I know 00Buck is the standard for self defense and its what I've always loaded, but I feel like it's too much for home defense in my case. In your opinion, Is the 7.5 shot sufficient in this case for home/apartment defense? I appreciate your input. Thx.

Welcome from another new guy. I do not envy your predicament. Most newer construction apartment walls around here in western Washington are 2x6 top and bottom plates with staggered 2x4s with insulation in between and sheathed with sheet rock. Everything I’ve shot out of my Shockwave from 15’ will penetrate that, including, most times the wad. With a full 36’ shot, you are still gonna penetrate at least some of those pellets I think. Older buildings have lath and plaster which would help and converted commercial spaces are many times, brick. It’s seems like your best option would be to let the perp stop them with his chest. Sorry. I did like the suggestion to bolster your most likely shooting alley with bookshelves, with books of course or other solid furniture.

Birdshot is better than a sharp stick and it`s effective in close quarters especially when you put multiple loads on target. In an ideal world I would run a #3 or #4 buckshot but like Meanstreak mentioned ammo is scarce, so grab up what you can find. Just before the shelves emptied out at Wally World I picked up some Federal 2 3/4" 4 shot heavy field load, it patterned 9.5" at 21ft and 6.5" at 14ft, that`ll knock the hide off of `em! Try several loads on paper and see what patterns best for your situation...

4 HF.jpg

You are responsible for every pellet that leaves the gun. Both slugs and buck will penetrate bad guys and walls. Knowing that, shoot what you are comfortable with.

The general rule of thumb on shot expansion is one inch of spread per yard from the muzzle. A majority of HD engagements are in the 2 to 6 yard range from the muzzle. Bottomline, for safety of all, is positive threat identification and a well placed shot.

If your unsure, probably better to barricade yourself in a room and call 911. If a known intruder opens the door it hard to miss the target from your barricaded position.

Regards

#4 shot (not #4 buckshot) seems like a reasonable compromise, given you are in an apartment building. But unfortunately, the physics are that anything that will reliably penetrate the bad guy will also penetrate walls. And, anything that will not penetrate walls will not reliably penetrate bad guys either. Take care. Tom Worthington

At 36' as long as you hit center mass with 7 1/2 shot it will stop inside a human body. Stray one or two pellets may go through 1/2" drywall but should not go through the second piece of drywall. If your shot is off and must of the shot hits the wall it will go through both walls. If possible collect everyone in one room call 911 and if you have to shot as someone trys to enter your safe room the odds are the shot will not shot into your neighbors walls. The use of slug or buck may go into your neighbors apartment even if you hit center mass on a human. Shot loses energy faster than a solid, the bigger the shot, farther it will penetrate.

Back