• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

I couldn't imagine what my electric bill would be if I were to try to keep my house 78*. We keep the Thermometer down to 69* during the day, but at night, we kick it up an extra degree so it'll stay a little warmer in the back of the house away from the thermometer to 70*

We used to keep ours at 78, my wife was freezing if we didn't.

She's not working at the moment so moneys a bit tighter so we keep it at 68-70.

It's easier to put a hoodie on or wear a cap then it is to pay the higher bill.

As I side, finally got her to commit to cutting the cable. Once we are done with our contract with ATT (this May) we're going back to Xfinity Internet and just streaming.

ATT Uverse has been pretty disappointing.

• We have to reboot one opf the boxes almost weekly as it will start flaking out.
  • About every 3rd show we DVR pauses/skips horribly
  • The internet speed fluctuates a LOT (more than our Xfinity ever did) and the upload speed is bad. Upload is usually not a problem but with covid and working part time from home, I need faster uploads.
  • They changed the lineup removing the outdoor channels I was told i would get (unless we buy the more expensive package)
  • After the first year the price keeps creeping up so that we are almost back to paying what we were before.
  • Ad we never did get the damn gift card we were supposed to get for switching.
We can just get by with internet and a few streaming subs and save a LOT over what we have now.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

We had a good solid rain last night, and this morning it is breezy and cool. I uncovered my still-damp boat, and it is drying out while the batteries charge.

@fellmann
This is an artificial lake and what you see there is the highest mark the water has ever reached before it went over the spillways of the dam.
68CD7E21-AFA2-4239-A8FD-5BFCB9BC82A5.jpeg

@MikeD
I cut the cable in 1985 after one year.

Now, TV was always free until the 80’s. The idea of paying for TV is that THEN it would not have commercials. But when cable TV started having commercials too, I said, “screw this.”

We've been streaming a while too.

I held on for longer than I should've (After all, I was a cable lineman for years), but the cable bill kept getting higher, and once it topped $100 a month for less than 100 channels, that was it for us.

We raised our internet speed to the fastest available in our town (50mb), got an app that let us get over 1800 live broadcast channels that we pay about $25 a month for that has just about everything in the north and south american hemisphere, and with the discovery+ app that we have, I have basically everything I could ever want and would go blind before watching everything there is to offer, and I'm still paying LESS than I was a month for what I had before. It's shameful.

We've been streaming a while too.

I held on for longer than I should've (After all, I was a cable lineman for years), but the cable bill kept getting higher, and once it topped $100 a month for less than 100 channels, that was it for us.

We raised our internet speed to the fastest available in our town (50mb), got an app that let us get over 1800 live broadcast channels that we pay about $25 a month for that has just about everything in the north and south american hemisphere, and with the discovery+ app that we have, I have basically everything I could ever want and would go blind before watching everything there is to offer, and I'm still paying LESS than I was a month for what I had before. It's shameful.

How is discovery+? Do you have the ad free version?

That one has all the shows we watch. I already have Netflix and Prime.

I do have the ad free version.

I watch more shows that are owned by the Discovery networks than all others combined. So, it's worth the $7 a month. There are actually a few network names (like Travel) that I wasn't getting on cable anyway, so it's worked out really good for me.

Not every season or episode is offered on D+, but there's plenty to watch. I scrolled down through the various shows for more than 30 minutes and still never got to the bottom of the list. You can also search, but I liked seeing some shows going back more than a decade that I had all but forgotten about. I really like it a lot. Plus, they have a 7 day free trial if you'd like to get an idea of what they have.

@John A. Do they have all the seasons of Mtn men and Life Below Zero available?

Yeah, i know the shows are somewhat contrived but I still like them.

Mt wife watches a lot of Food Network and ID.

Do they have all the seasons of Mtn men and Life Below Zero available?

Mt wife watches a lot of Food Network and ID.

Mtn men Season 1, 7, 8
(I also found some episodes on Pluto TV app-free)

Life Below Zero is on the Disney+ app, not the discovery+. I don't have the disney app so I don't know which episodes are on it.
Life Below Zero next gen is on Nat Geo TV App. (also not part of discovery).

The Food Network and ID are on Discovery+. If you have a show your wife would like to know is on there, just ask and I'll look for her. Like I have said, there is more on there than you can physically binge watch for a straight month.

On season 2 of Expedition Bigfoot on the travel channel, the entire season 2 was filmed in my community. I admit that I have gotten a few giggles from their comments about how brutal and treacherous and unforgiving our mountains are. It's kind of nice to see what people think that have never been exposed to our mountains before. I think they began to re-think some of their life decisions by coming here hoping to bug out during the pandemic that had probably 6 weeks of shows here. The upcoming episode this Sunday, they left Harlan and went to washington state where it's much flatter. :giggle:

Just the fact that they made it for the full 3 weeks of walking in the mountains without being eaten by a bear or wolf or something, I gotta give them credit for hanging tough. Because I've lived here all my life and understand how dangerous it is.

I'm also watching a lot of the Sy Fy app. They have a lot of older shows, like miami vice and buck rogers and quantam leap and other various 80's shows in general.

I'm really liking my firestick and the pay services that I'm subscribing to. Along with other free apps you can download and watch with some commercials in them but not really any more commercials than cable.

My TV is turned off most of the time :) I only watch tv when its WC in hockey, Swedish Hockey League games, WC in football ( yes, real football ), the olympics, breaking news or something else special. For movies and TV series, there are torrents ( download ) :D I dont pay a dime for this :)

Lol, must have been eastern Washington. Western Washington has the Cascade range and the Olympic range and 5 volcanoes. Lol

Yep I know that. I have a lot of close friends in and around the area.

FWIW, the bigfoot hunters said they said they were going into some pristine 200,000 acre forest near olympia. I know what the terrain is like there.

Hey Mossberg Owners.

I had a light rain this morning and I went up in the attic to check rodent traps. Lots of spoor, none caught.

I also fixed a wobbly ceiling fan.

Everybody hangs these things from the ceiling joists but that is usually a bad deal. I also suspend mine from the rafters above.

I box ceiling fan mounts between the rafters with 2x4's. Essentially making a wooden square that surrounds the fan junction box. FWIW, I also use metal boxes for those instead of plastic.

My house has 6:12 trusses.

The rafters are all 3’+ above the ceiling joists at the typical fan locations. The boxes nail to the ceiling framing, but I suspend the weight from the rafters above.

This removes the “point load” in the middle of your ceiling.

Back