• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 or 590A1

I like the 590A1 but know little about the different good and bad between the two. The gun will be used as a walk around woods gun. Moast rounds will be Tri-Ball, two or three reloaded .620 hard PB ball, Buck and ball or 3-4 number 4 buckshot with number 4 shoot. Will be used at mom's farm for woods walking incase a mean black bear wants to eat me. Thinking I may want something I could buy different barrels for but maybe not. I know anything is hard to find in stock right now. The thicker barrel sounds better to me but there again I don't know. My shotguns have all been SxS 12ga or 16 ga. I know I could pickup a Rem pump used but I want a new gun. Odds it will never be used for hunting. 8-9 rounds 12 ga beats 2 rounds any day of the week if needed.

Basic differences is that the 590A1 has a heavier barrel (per request of Navy), and a metal vice polymer safety and trigger guard. Some 590A1s have a bayonet lug depending mainly on barrel length.

But bottomline is the added weight which if you carry it for long periods of time you will definitely notice.

The 590A1 designed upgrades were to meet military abuse requirements and typically not needed by non military.

Finally, the cost difference, if that matters.

Regards

I'm not entirely sure what you mean about 2 rounds.

Most shotguns have a wooden dowel limiter because of stupid waterfowl laws around the country. But, once the wooden dowel is removed, will be the normal capacity for the magazine tube size.

Where mossberg 500's go, often 5 shells in the tube+1 in the chamber.

But mag capacity isn't really a huge consideration because you can reload on the go for however many shells you want to carry. Regardless of which one you choose.

I've had a mossberg 500 for over 20 years. Been a good gun. Used it a lot and worn a few parts and had to replace them. But no differently than buying tires for your car. If you drive your car enough, eventually you'll need to change the brakes or alternator or something. Guns are no different.

I just don't want you to think the 500 is substandard to a 590. It isn't. But the trigger guard on the 590 is metal instead of plastic and the 590 has a slightly thicker barrel. Those are the main differences between the two guns. Mag sizes can be different too, but not necessarily. It just depends on the specific gun you're looking at.

My 2 cents. If it’s just a walk in the woods gun the 500 will be fine. The 590A1 is a beast that is suited to hard use. I have both and if I go for a walk in the woods I bring the 500 or my O/U. The 500 flex system gives you allot of options depending on the use.

The 590A1 is heavy, and depends how long you plan to be bushwhacking for at any given time. There are sling mounts avaliable for the 590A1 which could be of use if you wish to have that specific model. When the mag is fully charged, it will add even more weight - but you can take down 2 or 3 bears given your shot placement is good.

I hiked a lot of years with an M14 in and out of Uncile Sam's Vacation Club. A guy liked my M14 more than the value I had in my head so he now owns it and I don't want to go through the work of readying another 14. Time for a new and different gun to learn. Will look at the 500 but there are sure a lot to pick from.

I like the M14 as well. Even it can be a heavy rifle for a nice walk in the woods.
The 590A1 was described by one member on this forum as like having a 3 foot long 4x4 in your hands! It’s a heavy duty weapon and probably more gun than most people need. Unless you are planning to go house clearing in enemy territory.
36902672-D277-4417-BFBD-87FF2A74B56F.jpeg

Warren, couple of thoughts for consideration.

Overall, don't think you can go wrong with a 500 outfitted with a couple of barrels. Combination of an 18.5 and 26 inch barrel pretty much covers any hunting and defense need.

Other one you might consider for defense needs is a 12 ga Shockwave. I've use one since they came out as a predator defense gun. Have cougars, coyotes and bears so it goes with me daily on the tractors, in the jeep and carried when working in the woods. Really is a perfect work gun if that's your need.

Good luck on your choice.

Arthritis has hit my hands so the pistol grip is not for me. I have went from .44 down over the years to .32 ACP or .32 H&R do to pain. Can do shotgun with a standard type stock and have small amount of pain, not enough to notice when shooting. You can learn to do with small amount of pain.

I have to ask "What is the FLEX platform"? I have always been rifle and pistol. My shotguns were what my dad used, double barrel or single barrel. More bear are being seen around the area where my mom's farm is. When back home I decided I needed more fire power than the double when walking to the places around the farm I played in as a youngster. Lots of brush, rocks, and hill sides. The farmer that works mom's place said last year he lost a calf to a cat or bear. It was eat on by yotes but he could see claw marks on the body, but tracks were gone. He had never seen either a cat or bear kill to know. DNR told him he was nuts.

Warren5421,
Mossberg’s FLEX system is basically a M500 that the user can quick change to different configurations. BD0E37F1-03F1-4AFF-A047-772B36D8877F.jpeg
You can have a duck gun with a long barrel and chokes in the morning and a home defender in the afternoon. Very easy to reconfigure and no tools required.
Check out Mossberg’s website or YouTube has a good video for more details. I have one and I love it. Right now it’s in home defender mode but I could easily put the regular stock and long barrel on it and take it to the sporting clays course this afternoon. Comes with a nice carry bag as well that stores all the parts.
D29FCF96-B20C-4F6C-972C-FBC309F24108.jpeg

Just an FYI all barrels on Mossberg pump guns within each caliber are interchangeable as long as you have the correct magazine tube for the barrel lug.

I use 500 barrels on my 835 all the time. A little bit more work than the Flex system but makes it easy when looking for extra barrels, etc. for specific tasks

NOTE: you will be limited on the shell length with some combinations. I.E. a 835 barrel on a 500 receiver is limited to the 3" capacity of the receiver. Conversely a 500 barrel on a 835 receiver is limited to the 3"/2.75" capacity of the barrel.

Anyway, just more options...

That looks better than the 590A1, will look it up. Next question what is an 835? looked at the fourm here but don't really know. I seen it can do 3 1/2" shells but as long as the other barrels fit would that be a better gun to buy?

As far as I can tell the M835 is a souped up Mossberg pump shotgun that can handle 3.5, 3 and 2.75 inch shells. The only advantage of the 835 model over a 500 model is the ability to handle 3.5” magnum loads.
I’ve never shot any 3.5” magnum loads myself. I’ve shot some 3” slugs and they kicks like a mule. I’m thinking the 3.5” would be worse.
925B18C0-0114-4D37-8327-6D85DD3028CD.jpeg

That looks better than the 590A1, will look it up. Next question what is an 835? looked at the fourm here but don't really know. I seen it can do 3 1/2" shells but as long as the other barrels fit would that be a better gun to buy?

The 835 receiver can handle 3.5"shells. The 835 barrels also overbored to 10g specs and has a barrel lug similar to the 590 allowing magazine extensions. Its a good choice if you hunt waterfowl and turkey. The 3.5" loads do kick a lot.

The 535 is receiver can also handle 3.5" shells but the barrels are not overbored. The barrel lug design matches that of the 500 but the magazine tube is longer and the lug is further down the barrel.

This thread has some really great contributors putting up some really terrific visuals and information.

Arthritis has hit my hands so the pistol grip is not for me. I have went from .44 down over the years to .32 ACP or .32 H&R do to pain. Can do shotgun with a standard type stock and have small amount of pain, not enough to notice when shooting. You can learn to do with small amount of pain.
I installed a Triceratops Custom safety button which helps a lot when my thumb is acting up. It has a similar shape as stock but with a higher profile.

Last edited:
I wish to thank everyone who has posted. I have learned much from this thread. It sounds like I can't go wrong with any of the pump guns. I will watch the LGS and adds. I missed a 835 yesterday by an hour for $200 a older guy had put on the local fourm.

Back