• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

464 Brush Gun Purchase

New to the forum.

Never paid much attention to Mossberg rifles but came across a 464 Brush Gun in a local shop and I was impressed.

I held off and did not buy until I did some research. That is how I discovered the Mossberg Owners.com.

I spent a few hours reading the posts and trying to talk myself out of purchasing the 464BG.

I returned and purchased it.

I have taken it to the range twice and I am in the process of breaking it in. Only a few minor feeding issues but the rifle appears to be improving with use.

Made some sight adjustments and I am generally happy with performance.

Considering mounting a scope. Been looking and learning from the post of optics. Good information.

Bill

Welcome to the forum. We're glad you joined and it looks like you certainly have a shooter. I really like the stainless lever actions.

Thanks for the welcome. I was not in the market for a lever gun the day I first saw the 464 sitting in a local shop. It was the flat silver appearance and the laminate stock that got my attention. I thought, "A Mossberg lever gun?" It just looked so good and I do enjoy a lever rifle. I read a bunch of material on the forum and almost decided against it. I am happy that I made the purchase. Each day I take it out of the safe and operate the action about 30 times to continue to break in the action. Hope to shoot it again this weekend.

Awesome.

I would like to shoot some this weekend too. I have some powder that is supposed to be delivered today. But will probably take some time to work up a load that I like.

I had a few 30-30 cases that I've picked up over the years. If I can still find them in the back of the shelf, I'll give you what I have.

I really like the length of it, what is the barrel length? Haven't seen the brush gun before. It reminds me of Marlin's guide gun.

Nice find!

Jeff

Hi Bill. I own a 464 Spx with a red dot. You have many scope mounting options on a 464 because of its side ejection. I believe that my rails were under $20 bucks. This is an older option. I've had this guns since 2014. I added the scope right away. There are 2 mini rails screwed into the reciever. I also wanted to keep my rear sights as the xs rail system requires removal. You can however mount a scout scope with the xs rail system. The xs rail system looked better in my opinion. Screenshot_20200212-233627_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff,

It is a 16.25 in barrel. It was the short look of this rifle that really appealed to me. I had a Marlin in the past but foolishly sold it. This Mossberg was priced right at a small local shop and I like the dull finish a lot. Mine has not had any real problems. I have spent a lot of time running the action to break it in. I have fired it about 150 times with both factory and reloaded ammo. I just like it. I plan to take it to TX this summer for a hog hunt. Seems ideal with the short barrel and fast second shots. My scope looks and functions great. These "Brush Guns" are still out there but I do not see them in the catalogs any longer.

Yacol J,

That is a great looking set up. I got a good deal on the Leupold Freedom scope so I headed down that path. I think a red dot could be ideal as well. I plan to use this platform for Hogs with shots under 50 yards. That is right in red dot range.

Hi Bill. I own a 464 Spx with a red dot. You have many scope mounting options on a 464 because of its side ejection. I believe that my rails were under $20 bucks. This is an older option. I've had this guns since 2014. I added the scope right away. There are 2 mini rails screwed into the reciever. I also wanted to keep my rear sights as the xs rail system requires removal. You can however mount a scout scope with the xs rail system. The xs rail system looked better in my opinion. View attachment 22637

Where did you get the rail? Ty.

I’ve never seen a rail for this gun, but you can buy the two piece set up; and I believe it uses two front rail segments from a Winchester.

I’m not certain as I didn’t do that. I bought some different rails from a Ruger and from a Thompson and I re-drilled them to fit. I cut a little relief in the Picatinny rail with a grinder to help the cartridges clear from the ejection slot.

I don’t use a Picatinny now. I bought a special scope mount from an encore and modified it to mount a Leupold 3 to 6 x 9.

I can’t post photos right now, but if you look at my old posts on the 464 lever gun you will see all of this in my history with modding & adjusting it.

Break it in gently because if you are ham-handed you can scar the inside of the receiver, which won’t do it any good.

I’ve never seen a rail for this gun, but you can buy the two piece set up; and I believe it uses two front rail segments from a Winchester.

I’m not certain as I didn’t do that. I bought some different rails from a Ruger and from a Thompson and I re-drilled them to fit. I cut a little relief in the Picatinny rail with a grinder to help the cartridges clear from the ejection slot.

I don’t use a Picatinny now. I bought a special scope mount from an encore and modified it to mount a Leupold 3 to 6 x 9.

I can’t post photos right now, but if you look at my old posts on the 464 lever gun you will see all of this in my history with modding & adjusting it.

Break it in gently because if you are ham-handed you can scar the inside of the receiver, which won’t do it any good.

I am looking to get a bridge machined up out of a existing Picatinny rail mount from a Mossberg Rifle, I have gone through the other posts to get some ideas just thought there might be some newer solutions as they're a few years old.

Attachments

• IMG_20201119_084120.jpg
    IMG_20201119_084120.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 6
Back