• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

@cmcdonald kinds if sounds like the covid shutdown excuse is BS else you would have seen a decline as well.
You would think so wouldn't you? It's hard to say for sure. I have seen more Canadian made product on the shelves than I usually do, even in Cabelas which usually doesn't carry a ton of domestically made ammo. However, it's obvious the supply of US made ammo hasn't been totally exhausted yet.

That said, maybe the stockpile was deep...stranger things have happened. We have an extremely agitated and PO'd firearms industry and community up here and it has been since mid-2019...it is not incomprehensible that suppliers took steps to bolster supply against potential future government moves. We all suspect stupid taxes and other measures are still unannounced and may yet be forthcoming.

I read an article yesterday with the ceo of Federal, CCI, Remington, etc explaining the shortages. Made pretty good sense. Sorry I’m not sharp enough to provide links. But searching on google popped it right up.

Thank you Rod for bringing this to our attention.

Where’s All the Damn Ammo?
Federal Premium’s President Has Some Answers

By Alex Robinson
Are ammunition companies hoarding their supplies? Have they stopped making ammo altogether? In short, no. Here’s what’s really going on.

Last week I was riding around South Texas with Jason Vanderbrink, the president of ammunition for Vista Outdoor. In other words, he’s the big boss for Federal Premium Ammunition, CCI, Speer, and now Remington ammunition. This is a pretty wild time to be running an ammo company: There are an estimated 7 million new gun owners in the U.S. this year, consumers have been panic-buying rounds in everything from .22LR to .300 Win. Mag., and retailers are backordered for months; plus, there’s the global pandemic complicating supply chains and workers’ safety.

So, we know the question that’s on the minds of every hunter and shooter: Where’s the ammo?

Frustration over the ammo shortage has created some pretty fun conspiracy theories. These are probably the top three: 1) Companies are stockpiling their product to drive up demand; 2) Ammo plants have shutdown completely; 3) Ammo companies are in cahoots to stop selling to civilians and are now selling only to the military. It’s worth noting that similar conspiracy theories cropped up during the panic buying and ammo shortages of 2014. It’s also worth noting that none of these conspiracies are true.

There’s No Crystal Ball for Ammo Sales
The reality behind the ammo shortage is a lot less provocative. After a few years of tough sledding, ammo companies now simply can’t keep up with the unprecedented demand.

“It’s easy to be a Monday morning quarterback,” says Vanderbrink. “During the Trump Administration, for all ammunition companies, it was a tough business. The industry was over capacity and that leads companies to not invest in expansion or refrain from capital expenditures that may be needed.”

During the Obama Administration, some consumers feared stricter firearm regulations and bought as many guns and as much ammunition as they could. That tailed off significantly when Trump was elected. (Folks in the firearm industry call this the “Trump Slump.”) The FBI tracks background checks before firearms purchases through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, which is the closest measure we have for tracking firearm purchases. Firearm background checks have increased almost every single year since 2002, except for Trump’s first year in office, when they decreased from 27.5 million in 2016 to 25.2 million in 2017. Federal had to lay off 200 employees in 2017. In 2020, there were 39.7 million firearm background checks.

“So when the market turned in March, we were coming off of a tough three-year business cycle.” Vanderbrink says. “[At the time,] the furthest thing from our mind was expanding capacity. So when the market tuned so fast you had two problems: There was certainly not the labor available and, two, it takes time to train people...You just can’t turn on a dime. You can’t go hire hundreds of people overnight, train them and boom, on Friday you have more ammo. It just doesn’t work that way, it’s impossible. The key takeaway is that the business had been tough for three years and we had to right the ship, if you will. And then when demand exploded, it’s impossible to react that fast.”

Raw Material Shortage
Accessing materials has been another challenge for all ammo companies and for individual reloaders. Primers are hard to come by since there’s been such a surge in factory ammo. And brass is another challenge, Vanderbrink says.

“The brass market for the most part is seeing unprecedented demand not only in the ammo market but the national coin shortage and that is certainly driving brass prices up and availability down,” he says. “Brass is a hard commodity to acquire right now and every round that any ammo company makes, for the most part, has brass in it.”

But manufacturers are making ammo, and lots of it. Vanderbrink has taken to YouTube to put some of the conspiracy theories to rest. His first video, shot inside the Federal factory in Anoka, Minnesota, has more than 1.7 million views.

“I’m tired of all the hate mail, I’m tired of people showing up at our factories, I’m tired of reading the misinformation out on the internet right now about us not trying to service the demand that we’re experiencing,” Vanderbrink says in the beginning of the video. [MORE at link]

Where’s All the Damn Ammo? Federal Premium’s President Has Some Answers | Outdoor Life <-- LINK [both videos imbedded here]

<-- LINK to video

Jason Vanderbrink, President of Federal, CCI, Speer and Remington Addresses Your Questions - YouTube <-- LINK to video

Very interesting ! Watch this ! I knew this - Do you ?

The US Military is EVERYWHERE

I lived on military bases exclusively from the time I was born until I was 18 years old and went off to college. I had friends that came from these places all around the world, because their fathers had served there. They had lived in all these places.

The best part was the cars. They would bring back foreign cars from places nobody knew was even making cars. Sometimes just common sedan models but quite often low production sport models. These pilots and airplane mechanics were all into sports cars.

anyhow, if you grew up as a kid in the US Air Force, the stuff was pretty much common knowledge. We had put an Air Force Base or a radar base or a naval base in every country that would allow it, And it seems to be working because we have managed to avoid Thermonuclear war.

That’s what everybody was worried about. All these piddly little wars in Vietnam, Syria, Iraq etc meant absolutely nothing compared to the threat of ICBMs.

Anyhow, it costs us a fortune to keep the bases open and we pay the price. When we try to close one of these, the local inhabitants always complain that it will ruin their economy, because much of their livelihood depends on money that comes from American servicemen.

We pay a great deal to have such great influence.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

It’s a beautiful day in the sunny San Joaquin Valley and we are expected to hit 76° with bright sunshine but a possible rain shower this evening.
37A60FCE-A4F2-44D7-95F5-3696CD2E4943.jpeg

I got the new aquarium filter running pretty well and the water has cleaned up. I’m going to move some fish around today and we will see how they take to it.
7D8D75B8-0950-4519-9235-7F5B1351E36B.jpeg

i’ve been working every night on this Sanyo quadraphonic receiver. I thought it wouldn’t be worth restoring but as it turns out there was very little wrong with it. It needed a new power switch, a lightbulb replaced, and a thorough cleaning of all the controls and circuit boards.
2B053F79-B0AB-4F3E-91B9-2DDC21B087E2.jpeg
It has one big filter capacitor for the power supply, the size of a tomato paste can. You can see it next to the transformer at the upper left.

That is getting a bit noisy and when I add capacitance to that circuit it quiets up noticeably.

Evidently this unit does not have as much play time on it as the coat of dirt and grime (which I have removed) previously indicated. Otherwise, all the capacitors would have tested bad and the sound would be much worse or nonexistent.I just have to finish cleaning up the knobs and the walnut (veneer) case could use a good oiling.

Today I’m going to fix my sticky sliding door so I can get out to the patio without breaking my wrist. It has a stainless steel insert in the track which has gone bad. I have been down that track before. LOL

You all have a nice day.

Good morning to all of yous from the south central U. S.. We had a couple of light rain showers during the early morning hours and still have clouds and showers around with a temp of 54.

We are heading to the lake later this afternoon. We'll spend a couple of days. It is time for spring cleaning as we have not been up there since early November."

You all have a great day.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

It’s a beautiful day in the sunny San Joaquin Valley and we are expected to hit 76° with bright sunshine but a possible rain shower this evening.
View attachment 24794

I got the new aquarium filter running pretty well and the water has cleaned up. I’m going to move some fish around today and we will see how they take to it.
View attachment 24792

i’ve been working every night on this Sanyo quadraphonic receiver. I thought it wouldn’t be worth restoring but as it turns out there was very little wrong with it. It needed a new power switch, a lightbulb replaced, and a thorough cleaning of all the controls and circuit boards.
View attachment 24793
It has one big filter capacitor for the power supply, the size of a tomato paste can. You can see it next to the transformer at the upper left.

That is getting a bit noisy and when I add capacitance to that circuit it quiets up noticeably.

Evidently this unit does not have as much play time on it as the coat of dirt and grime (which I have removed) previously indicated. Otherwise, all the capacitors would have tested bad and the sound would be much worse or nonexistent.I just have to finish cleaning up the knobs and the walnut (veneer) case could use a good oiling.

Today I’m going to fix my sticky sliding door so I can get out to the patio without breaking my wrist. It has a stainless steel insert in the track which has gone bad. I have been down that track before. LOL

You all have a nice day.
Jeez, all your projects make my little weekly project seem downright weak. I got my lawn mowed and put together a new wall in the kitchen. Now I can feel the sun on my back when I wash dishes lol small pleasures 44C2C2B5-0595-4F3F-B2BE-FCA846525E11.jpeg

Yeah sometimes I get into these things and I just can’t stop until they’re done without having a big disaster on my hands.

Today I was planning to move fish around between the aquariums, now that I got the filter system set up. But I did a round of water testing and came to find out that my big system had nitrates four times as high as the smaller system I was moving fish from.

So this set off a round of water changing & tank cleaning and siphoning that is still not quite over. In order to catch some of the fish I wanted to move I had to take out bucket after bucket of aquarium plants and decorations, Then drain 100 gals out.
and of course, I had to put that back in.

It’s 8 o’clock at night and now I have to go drain 3/4 of the water out of my Oscar tank and catch him and put him in the big system.

In the middle of all this siphoning and water squirting I did manage to Barbecue a nice pork roast.
E3CF2868-0964-4DF9-BBAE-334DF050DF95.jpeg

3E6184B9-97EA-4063-B951-E15360E05DF1.jpeg
Also, after I took a couple fish out of the big tank and let the water down to about 6 inches, Getting it all nasty and stirred up in the process, two of my Cichlids started mating. Lucky me, I didn’t even know I had a female in the tank. It turns out that these fish are siblings, And they are two of my most beautiful fish. Unfortunately the water was very murky and I could not get a clear photo or video of them.

F1EBEF32-8773-4803-ACFC-5B4474F0E660.jpeg

On the left is blue Leeloo and on the right is black Leeloo, and they are both the offspring of Leeloo & Butter cup, king of the 55 gal.

G 'mornin, gentlemen.
A windstorm broke some branches on a neighbors property. We offered to clean it up for the wood. The neighbor is tickled and we will have a generous several year supply of campfire wood.

Last edited:
Felix the Oscar finally makes it to the 125 gal tank. I just changed 100 gals of water and the tank is still cloudy.
0A5C8E9D-21A3-4924-8560-23A230A5155F.jpeg

I have been ready to do this for quite a while now. Felix, not so much; but he appears to be adjusting well.

Last pic of him in the 75 gal:
1FD62C7D-6F5C-4002-AFE0-9B08AC60C30F.jpeg

Good Evening MO's!!

Went out and bought a wood stove for the cabin this morning. It has radiant gas heat now which is nice. I plan on keeping a smaller ventless wall unit while using the wood as the primary. Just trying to reduce my reliance in gas. It cost a lot to get it delivered and the property is not usually wheeled vehicle accessible in the winter/early spring.

Got it at the Family Farm and Home store. Its a lower end stove but it will be perfect for the cabin...and gives me a summer project. Which I need like a hole in the head. LOL. The other summer projects are reroofing the garage, shed and installing new batteries for the inverter so we dont have to run the generator as much. Its pretty off the grid.

Yeah sometimes I get into these things and I just can’t stop until they’re done without having a big disaster on my hands.

Today I was planning to move fish around between the aquariums, now that I got the filter system set up. But I did a round of water testing and came to find out that my big system had nitrates four times as high as the smaller system I was moving fish from.

So this set off a round
Good Evening MO's!!

Went out and bought a wood stove for the cabin this morning. It has radiant gas heat now which is nice. I plan on keeping a smaller ventless wall unit while using the wood as the primary. Just trying to reduce my reliance in gas. It cost a lot to get it delivered and the property is not usually wheeled vehicle accessible in the winter/early spring.

Got it at the Family Farm and Home store. Its a lower end stove but it will be perfect for the cabin...and gives me a summer project. Which I need like a hole in the head. LOL. The other summer projects are reroofing the garage, shed and installing new batteries for the inverter so we dont have to run the generator as much. Its pretty off the grid.
always good to have a backup heat source,that’s for sure. I used wood here as primary and the baseboards as backup when I started in this house. But my free wood went poof when my mom and stepdad moved to Yuma..so straight electric now, but canned the baseboards and put in a couple 4K/watt Cadet style heaters. And since I ran the wire to them,I got to put them where they are most effective. Having remodeled most of my house inside, every interior wall is insulated, making a half dozen individual zones which makes the heaters job much easier. And the steel roof is the best thing I’ve done to the outside. I only have one battery in the garage that powers my 12v emergency lighting. Those LED buggers will run for days if need be, but only need a couple hours of juice to recharge.

Good morning,

I'm working on a new web gear setup for my M500, but I have some empty space right in the back between my canteen pouches. It's about 8 inches worth, or 4 MOLLE collumns, and I'm not entirely sure what to put there. I'm thinking a small general purpose pouch might do nicely, something just big enough to fit a box of shotshells. I'm open to suggestions.

Here's what I already have on the rig:

Ammo pouches x4
IFAK
Compass pouch/grenade pouch
Knife
Canteen pouches x2

The idea is for the rig to have just enough on it (water, medical, etc.) where I can run it by itself, but be low profile enough that I can use a pack if I need to carry more items. As far as general use goes I've done what I needed to with less than I have already. As such items such as a buttpack might not make too much sense, If I need to carry enough to fill a buttpack I should just grab my backpack.

Any ideas?

Good morning,

I'm working on a new web gear setup for my M500, but I have some empty space right in the back between my canteen pouches. It's about 8 inches worth, or 4 MOLLE collumns, and I'm not entirely sure what to put there. I'm thinking a small general purpose pouch might do nicely, something just big enough to fit a box of shotshells. I'm open to suggestions.

Here's what I already have on the rig:

Ammo pouches x4
IFAK
Compass pouch/grenade pouch
Knife
Canteen pouches x2

The idea is for the rig to have just enough on it (water, medical, etc.) where I can run it by itself, but be low profile enough that I can use a pack if I need to carry more items. As far as general use goes I've done what I needed to with less than I have already. As such items such as a buttpack might not make too much sense, If I need to carry enough to fill a buttpack I should just grab my backpack.

Any ideas?
Well, as you said a GP pouch or a dedicated shotgun shell pouch. Here are two options..

Last edited:
Well, as you said a GP pouch or a dedicated shotgun shell pouch. Here are two options..

I really like that first one, pewpewtactical did an article on it a while back and I really like the concept. I just wish somebody made one a bit cheaper, I guess I'm used to paying rock bottom prices for "well-loved" surplus hehe. Condor makes a version of that second dump pouch for fairly cheap, I wasn't considering it until you pointed it out but it's actually a really neat idea. Of course both of those items make more sense for hunting but that's what I'll be using them for mostly anyway. Thanks a ton.

It is a good morning isn’t it.. frosty cold this morning but mostly clear skies so far. Daughters family took a trip east of the mountains last week to celebrate a birthday and my grandson got to shoot for the first time. Daughter said he holed a target first shot..wahoo. Proud grandpa here..01941E00-9225-4F2E-95DF-49592C59E261.jpeg

Back