• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barrel Help Needed

Neon Prime

Copper BB
Hi. I just picked up a 500 with two barrels. One is stamped 30" Full Choke and the other is stamped 28" Accu Choke. My first 500 was a 24" smooth bore so I was wondering what the difference is and what ammo is safe to use. Still new to this so I'd appreciate some insight.

Your 30 inch full choke barrrel should be reasonably good for turkey, duck and geese hunting. Probably best for turkey. Years ago there was a great discussion regarding the use of steel shot with this barrel. If I remember correctly steel shot had a tendency to act like one choke size tighter. Maybe others who have this barrel can weigh in or best to call Mossberg and question the use of steel vice lead shot.

Your Accu choke barrrel should have come with several different chokes and a choke wrench. Not sure what choke you have installed. Again, if I remember right it originally came with three chokes choices. You should be able to check the Mossberg web site for specifics.

Unfortantly, I currently don't have either barrel so going on my old memory.

Good luck,
Regards

Your 30 inch full choke barrrel should be reasonably good for turkey, duck and geese hunting. Probably best for turkey. Years ago there was a great discussion regarding the use of steel shot with this barrel. If I remember correctly steel shot had a tendency to act like one choke size tighter. Maybe others who have this barrel can weigh in or best to call Mossberg and question the use of steel vice lead shot.

Your Accu choke barrrel should have come with several different chokes and a choke wrench. Not sure what choke you have installed. Again, if I remember right it originally came with three chokes choices. You should be able to check the Mossberg web site for specifics.

Unfortantly, I currently don't have either barrel so going on my old memory.

Good luck,
Regards
Thanks for the reply. There weren't any separate chokes included. The 28" came installed with the 30"( listed as a 24" in the description) came on the side. Do I need chokes for these barrels before shooting or are they ready to go with 2-3/4 shells?

From your description the 30 inch barrrel is a fixed choke configuration. Again, you should check to see if ok to shoot steel shot but lead should be no problem.

With the Accu choke barrrel I assume you have a choke installed. With the gun unloaded and safe take a look at the muzzle and you should see a screw in choke. Assuming you do, you need a choke wrench to remove it and see which choke is installed. Depending on maintenance the choke may be difficult to remove? Hopefully not. Again, if memory serves me well those barrels originally came with three chokes (improved cylinder, modified and full). Again, check the Mossberg web site. There's a link in a post a couple of days ago to their barrrel selection site.

Regards

From your description the 30 inch barrrel is a fixed choke configuration. Again, you should check to see if ok to shoot steel shot but lead should be no problem.

With the Accu choke barrrel I assume you have a choke installed. With the gun unloaded and safe take a look at the muzzle and you should see a screw in choke. Assuming you do, you need a choke wrench to remove it and see which choke is installed. Depending on maintenance the choke may be difficult to remove? Hopefully not. Again, if memory serves me well those barrels originally came with three chokes (improved cylinder, modified and full). Again, check the Mossberg web site. There's a link in a post a couple of days ago to their barrrel selection site.

Regards
I just checked the 28" it looks like a choke is installed. There's an inner, notched ring fixture inside. There's no inner ring on the 30" and it looks smooth. I'll see if I can find the link. Thanks again!

Here's a link

https://www.mossberg.com/store/parts/type/barrels.html

Both your barrels should say what length of shells they are chambered for. Normally 2 3/4 and 3 inches but take a look on the barrel.

You should be able to get a choke wrench from most gun stores or order online. If it's really stuck you might get a local gunsmith to remove it. Might soak it in penetrating oil if stuck. They can be a pain if someone neglects maintenance.

Again, good luck and also welcome to the forum.

Regards

You should be able to get chokes for the 28" easy enough. Personally I would (and have) cut down the 30" barrel to 18-1/2" or so and re-mount a bead to it. Use it for a "security" barrel. Is the 30" vent-ribbed?

PS: never shoot out of a screw-in choke barrel without a choke installed. It can damage the threads... :eek:

You should be able to get chokes for the 28" easy enough. Personally I would (and have) cut down the 30" barrel to 18-1/2" or so and re-mount a bead to it. Use it for a "security" barrel. Is the 30" vent-ribbed?

PS: never shoot out of a screw-in choke barrel without a choke installed. It can damage the threads... :eek:
The 30" isn't vent-ribbed. Honestly, in hand and compared it looks to be the same length and just as smooth inside as my 24" slug barrel. The seller listed it as a 24" which was the reason I picked it up.

Here's a link

https://www.mossberg.com/store/parts/type/barrels.html

Both your barrels should say what length of shells they are chambered for. Normally 2 3/4 and 3 inches but take a look on the barrel.

You should be able to get a choke wrench from most gun stores or order online. If it's really stuck you might get a local gunsmith to remove it. Might soak it in penetrating oil if stuck. They can be a pain if someone neglects maintenance.

Again, good luck and also welcome to the forum.

Regards
Thanks for the link! Both barrels are chambered for 2-3/4 and 3" the same as my Smooth Bore. I just want to make sure I can use the same ammo without any injury or damage.

Back