• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

In South Carolina

I totally understand. Making sure you have a roof over your head is priority 1.

Now that you've had some time there, what do you think about it. You and the family still content with the decision? I would suspect that it feels like you were just freed from a cage. I couldn't imagine living in a police state all the time and having to ask permission for everything. That is certainly not for me.

I totally understand. Making sure you have a roof over your head is priority 1.

Now that you've had some time there, what do you think about it. You and the family still content with the decision? I would suspect that it feels like you were just freed from a cage. I couldn't imagine living in a police state all the time and having to ask permission for everything. That is certainly not for me.

ok officially two weeks here:

people are generally nicer.

I can get just about anywhere in SC in two hours because the major hwys are 70mph (aka 85) and traffic is basically non-existent.

the hills are what get me. Long Island is flat and only like 90 feet above sea level. At 70 mph the highways are literally like a roller coaster to me.

while Long Island is kinda rural... so many more stretches of forest. Driving must be amazing at fall. And the leaves do change here according to my coworkers.

I’ve been told the pollen is so bad it’s considered the allergy capital of the world. I don’t have allergies so I don’t feel it.

people ain’t slow around here. They are just courteous.

people dynamics are different. Off the bat they tell you their life story. You don’t do that in NY. But I also see they tell you everyone else’s business too. If you don’t want stuff going around don’t tell anyone anything.

PSA had barrels of 30 round mags for $9.99. I grabbed some and the lady was like you want anything else? Yeah, I’ll take the whole barrel, dump the mags on my bed and roll around in them like a chinchilla.

CPA craziness doesn’t change from state to state. Only issue is I fell into a firm that had its audit support leave just before I got here. I was supposed to have a co-manager show me some of the ropes as the business they deal with I’m not familiar with. But general auditing and financial statements I’ve been doing for 20 years. Well she quit before I showed up. So I’m it. They lean on me for all technical questions. I’m on calls with clients I’ve never met on work I’ve never reviewed being asked to represent as the expert in difficult accounting situations to explain the firms position. I’ve stepped up to that, but my stress level this week is mega high. I skipped right over whiskey last night and went right to drowning in ice cream.

my staff is tax accountants who kinda do audits. As opposed to my old firm who were legit auditors 24/7. There’s a difference. But my firm has good eye candy so at least they cute lol. A mix of personalities, you can tell who can be trained and who will take some time getting stuff done.

I’ve been a leader in my old firm for over a decade. I have no issues taking charge. I also lead from the trenches so I don’t tell people to dig I pick up the shovel and show them how. I think the staff picked up on that and are happy I’m there. I’m easy going, get along well with most people.

MMA is kinda a thing in these parts. Which is real cool. I’m a life long martial artist who’s done full contact karate for over 22 years. Old 1960s version when fighting was the goal. I’m a senior instructor in this system so putting on gloves and punching people in the face isn’t new to me. However, the mall gay karate stuff is everywhere in SC. So it’s either MMA or faggotry. There’s no middle ground. Long Island and NYC had a better mix of true classical arts with MMA gyms. So once I get established I might find a niche in my skills. My 400 sqft garage will be my personal dojo. I have authority to teach my art from my organization and I am considered a strong example of a teacher and practitioner. Most other instructors in my art seek me out when the master and his two top students are unavailable.

so that’s my story so far. I like it. Doesn’t feel like home yet. When the house is built it will soon be.

I LOL'd at some of your thoughts and opinions.

Mainly the "roller coaster" roads. I suppose that could be very true and I had never thought about it. It's not unusual for me to ascend and descend thousands of feet with hairpin curves all along the way. That's what I was born into and been exposed to my whole life so it's second nature to me.

Without getting too political, when they start making all electric cars, they won't have near the 100 mile range in the Appalachians as they do in area's with flat land because the hills and constant on/off the throttle/accelerator in curves will drain battery banks in a hurry. I would be very shocked to find if a battery bank would have 40-60% the mileage capability that they claim here as they will in Ohio and other places. And another reason why all electric cars won't catch on here. Among other things.

People are friendly to a large extent. But, you'll also find they can be very blunt and honest too. The people I'm used to being around, they can be down right brutal while still smiling at you. As for telling everything they know, I suppose that could be anywhere. That's why I don't tell anyone much of anything. That's just how I have always been. If I wanted to tell my life story, I'd write a book. But they're probably just curious and trying to get to know you and get a feel for you. You're as new to them as they are to you so don't take it to heart.

It takes a while to assimilate into southern culture. There's nothing wrong with having a plan to fight your way out of every room, but no one else needs to know that. Matter of fact, that's one of the traits that make us who we are.

Learn how to say "bless your heart" in 3 different ways. One being sincere. One while joking. And another being condescending. It'll take some practice.

And most of all, laugh sometimes. Especially if it's your mistake. If you can't laugh at yourself, don't laugh at others. You'll come across as a typical northern peckerhead with a superiority complex if you do. Trust me, you don't want that.

People are friendly to a large extent. But, you'll also find they can be very blunt and honest too. The people I'm used to being around, they can be down right brutal while still smiling at you. As for telling everything they know, I suppose that could be anywhere. That's why I don't tell anyone much of anything. That's just how I have always been. If I wanted to tell my life story, I'd write a book. But they're probably just curious and trying to get to know you and get a feel for you. You're as new to them as they are to you so don't take it to heart.

WM, John has good notes there. I'm much the same way in that I like to take in more info than I give out. I like to remember recurring themes of their anecdotes. Then I can always jumpstart a conversation with something like, "Whatever happened to..." or "Did Old Joe ever replace that..."

Surefire starters are, "Where can I get good deals on a boat?" or "You know where I can get ammo in bulk?"

Back