• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

John A.

I'm not sure. For some reason, I'm not able to see the video you're referring to.

Oh, I see the link now. Yeah, that's awesome.

I made a 9x39 chambered AR15 last year and have been loading my own ammo for it since there's no way I would feel comfortable with the expense and trouble of building it with surplus import ammo only. Redding dies are more expensive than they should be, but at least I'm not hostage to market issues.

It blows the 300 blackout out of the water.

Here's a few pictures and a video.

Here's some of the 9.3mm mauser bullets that I'm using to load with. The two on the left are solid copper pills that I'm using for supersonics. Being copper, it amazes me at the expansion that happens moving at a touch over 2000 fps. The remaining bullets are all subsonics. Yeah, some of those expand really great too.

kD0BRJ3.jpg

And another quick photo to show the difference between 9x19 115 gr and a 285 gr 9x39 since many people just instinctively think the 9x39 is a glorified 9mm handgun round. Nope. Not even close.
GdyTbDU.jpg

LRDV9BD.jpg

Nitesite, I'll send you a PM with some other videos.

Hey seeing as this is a bit of an odd caliber topic...question for you both @John A. and @nitesite. There's importer up here that brings in tons of surplus euro hunting rifles and shotguns, he's got a whack load of Husqvarna 9.3x62, 8x57 and of course a boat load of 30-06. Some are Husky 1600 models while others are Husky "Commercial FN98", "M98 or M96 Sporters". You'll remember John, this is the same place I got the 12ga autoloader from last spring.

I'd assume both the 9.3x62 and 8x57 pack a fair whallop....I have little knowledge of these rounds and no one I know shoots them. I've read that the 9.3x62 is comparable to a 338.

Anyway, you fellers have any wisdom to share on these calibers and ever had any experience with anything like these? Most of the rifles are in need of love, but there are some that look really decent and for a really good price too.

Hey seeing as this is a bit of an odd caliber topic...question for you both @John A. and @nitesite. There's importer up here that brings in tons of surplus euro hunting rifles and shotguns, he's got a whack load of Husqvarna 9.3x62, 8x57 and of course a boat load of 30-06. Some are Husky 1600 models while others are Husky "Commercial FN98", "M98 or M96 Sporters". You'll remember John, this is the same place I got the 12ga autoloader from last spring.

I'd assume both the 9.3x62 and 8x57 pack a fair whallop....I have little knowledge of these rounds and no one I know shoots them. I've read that the 9.3x62 is comparable to a 338.

Anyway, you fellers have any wisdom to share on these calibers and ever had any experience with anything like these? Most of the rifles are in need of love, but there are some that look really decent and for a really good price too.

Boy would I love to rummage thru boxes of surplus rifles, but here in the US there are none to be found for sale.... anywhere..

Good morning Cal.

I don't have any experience with the 9.3x62 and there is another that is a different length. Seems like it's a bit shorter.

But, they are often used for large game animals. By large, I'm talking elephant and water buffalo and rhino stuff in Africa. I would imagine that they could be effective for anything in the world.

Hornady does make a bunch of different bullets for it. Matter of fact, many of the bullets I am using in the 9x39 are made by Hornady. Though, they are loaded into a resized 7.62x39 in my instance, so I'm not going to be able to achieve near the ballistics as the actual 9.3mm mausers and such. But it's hard to argue with a 300 grain jacketed steel dangerous game bullet screaming toward you. It would certainly have the right of way.

Boy would I love to rummage thru boxes of surplus rifles, but here in the US there are none to be found for sale.... anywhere..
I wish I could actually get in there and fondle stuff...but this guy is clear across the country from me. I have to settle for ogling online...LOL! However, the 12ga I bought from him last year is a winner as long as I run peppy loads. Very happy with it.

Pic below is after refinishing the wood with some great advice from John A.

IMG_1441.jpg

Good morning Cal.

I don't have any experience with the 9.3x62 and there is another that is a different length. Seems like it's a bit shorter.

But, they are often used for large game animals. By large, I'm talking elephant and water buffalo and rhino stuff in Africa. I would imagine that they could be effective for anything in the world.

Hornady does make a bunch of different bullets for it. Matter of fact, many of the bullets I am using in the 9x39 are made by Hornady. Though, they are loaded into a resized 7.62x39 in my instance, so I'm not going to be able to achieve near the ballistics as the actual 9.3mm mausers and such. But it's hard to argue with a 300 grain jacketed steel dangerous game bullet screaming toward you. It would certainly have the right of way.
Now this is why I need to get busy with learning to reload. I could probably find commercial ammo for the 8mm Mauser pretty easily, but the big 9.3x62 might be harder to come by and I would expect it to be pricey. But, it's definitely on the "do want" list now. Getting into a 300gr lead chucker for sub $500 bucks gets a whole bunch of my interest.......

I understand Cmcdonald. It is good to reload. In the US right now, components such as powder and primer and such are out of stock everywhere, but as you mentioned, the obscure sizes are the last ones off the shelf.

I understand Cmcdonald. It is good to reload. In the US right now, components such as powder and primer and such are out of stock everywhere, but as you mentioned, the obscure sizes are the last ones off the shelf.
Exactly, I could likely find projectiles...but finding everything else could present a challenge.

Oh and do I need to tell you that I'm super jelly over that little 9x39 suppressed cream puff you got there???

I really like the 9x39 round. Where subsonic/suppressed guns is concerned, it's a hoss.

There are two places that have done some extensive testing at longer ranges and the 9x39 is a solid performer.

My personal comfortable place for max range for 300 blk (a somewhat comparable subsonic rifle round) is around 125'ish yards. I'm sure I could do hits at longer ranges than that, but the ballistics of the 9x39 is FAR superior.

Couple of examples.

Back