• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

sks spike bayonet

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I closed the WTB ad for the SKS bayonet but since I found one, but the topic had so many helpful replies, I moved it into the workbench section rather than deleting it.

I'm wanting to build a different kind of project completely with it.

A functional and full size spear.

Something my Cherokee ancestors would have been proud to have.

There will be more pictures and discussion to come after I get the parts. This SHOULD be a pretty simple project. Drill a few holes. A nut and bolt. Some epoxy. And I'm not sure what else just yet.

Funny story.
When I went to buy my SKS in CA years and years ago it had the bayonet on it.
When I went to pick it up 15 days later the store said ATF had come in and told them they needed to remove the bayonets. They told me I couldn't have one.

A while later, at a gun store, I was rummaging through a big bargain bin and found a cruciform bayonet for a SKS.
I asked the guy "how much for the SKS bayonet?"
He said "that's not a bayonet. It's a "tent spike".
I said "no. It's a cruciform bayonet"
He said "No..It's a tent spike and I sell tent spikes for $5."
It then dawned on me and I said "Ya know, I really could use a tent spike"
:lol:

Well, since you mentioned it, I'm also in the market for a cruciform tent spike if you have one or may have a lead on one.

I can't tell if that's the full size one or the "paratrooper". I'd have to call and check, but yes. Thank you.

Are you looking for any particular type of spike? I have 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" 6061 Alum. rod in stock if you want me to spike one end for you...

Thank you for the offer Bobster. I appreciate it a lot.

I was looking for the SKS spike bayonet because I was wanting to make a spear and was going to use it as the point. And with how that bayonet is made, would be perfect for that.

This is some random pic of 1/2" Al rod "prototypes" I had in my archives. Chucked up a piece of rod in a drill and pushed the spinning point against a running belt sander to achieve this although a lathe would work as well...

pointybits.jpg

That would definately be one effective point. It looks like it would pierce you just by looking at it.

I just don't know how durable the aluminum rod would be over time? I have some 1/4" aluminum rod in 6061 that I used when I made the extension for my crossbow stock. I just don't know how well they would resist bending with a lot of weight behind it and after they struck something a few times.

But that sure is some steady hands to sand that down to a point like that.

John, the other thing that I've seen is taking a common metal file and grinding it into a knife or bayonet.

Files are heat treated so retain strength.

Regards

You know, that's not really a bad idea that I hadn't considered.

I was mainly considering the sks spike bayonet due to the triangle shape/wound channel.

John, depending on the file size selected you could grind it into a single or double edge blade and whatever blade shape in between. Have a friend who makes certain size hunting knives from files. You just need to watch your metal temperature while grinding and use a water bath often. Then finish with a belt sander. Would assume you wouldn't need a razor sharp edge.

Any old files in your tool box?

Good luck.

Regards

I was able to find a bayonet. As was mentioned, I intend to make a full size and fully functional spear with it. May be a while before I get it in the mail and am able to do it. But, it seems like a fun project.

Well, after some trial and error, I think I have it the way that I want.

To begin with, I just drilled the hole for the tang, countersunk the entire bayonet into the wood a little and cross drilled for a pin to hold it together.

After about a half a dozen throws, the wood split under the force and the weight.

So, after deciding that I don't want to use sinew or wrap it with hemp rope or something, I machined out a collar to reinforce the wood further than the tang from a piece of aluminum bar stock.

I still need to use a piece of soft malleable metal to make a rivet the right length and diameter, or I may even just use a wooden dowel. I did put some epoxy between the collar and the wood, but obviously, it needs a pin or rivet to lock everything together. I may also end up putting some paint on it just to make it a little more tactical (that's sarcasm).

Since this doesn't use gunpowder or detachable magazines, I guess I don't have to comply with all those 80% personal made arms serial numbers and other assorted stupidity that the government is wanting me to do with guns.

sFAwrJ3.jpg

9FYPn3s.jpg

Well, after some trial and error, I think I have it the way that I want.

To begin with, I just drilled the hole for the tang, countersunk the entire bayonet into the wood a little and cross drilled for a pin to hold it together.

After about a half a dozen throws, the wood split under the force and the weight.

So, after deciding that I don't want to use sinew or wrap it with hemp rope or something, I machined out a collar to reinforce the wood further than the tang from a piece of aluminum bar stock.

I still need to use a piece of soft malleable metal to make a rivet the right length and diameter, or I may even just use a wooden dowel. I did put some epoxy between the collar and the wood, but obviously, it needs a pin or rivet to lock everything together. I may also end up putting some paint on it just to make it a little more tactical (that's sarcasm).

Since this doesn't use gunpowder or detachable magazines, I guess I don't have to comply with all those 80% personal made arms serial numbers and other assorted stupidity that the government is wanting me to do with guns.

sFAwrJ3.jpg

9FYPn3s.jpg
Looks more like a javelin that would be used for track and field events than a weapon. I LIKE IT!!!!

Back