• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 barrel nut coming loose possable solution?

ekaphoto

Copper BB
I have a 590 from 20+ years ago. The dentent ball cam out so it unscrews when shooting. I got a GG&G sling mount with a detent ball, still unscrews. Here is my idea.

Drill a hole through the cap and mag tube and run a cotter pin through to keep it from coming off. I could also drill and tap and use a screw. Anyone think this would not work?

Welcome to the forum. Interesting question, but I don't think a cotter pin is your answer. I think a gunsmith is your best bet.

Seems like sn o-ring or something would be a better solution than drilling .

The teeth to engage the detent ball are still on the tube cap, right? No goofed up threads preventing the tube cap from screwing on far enough to actually engage the detent ball, right? Sorry if my questions sound overly basic! Original tube cap or aftermarket cap/extension?

Guess I don't understand why you're having issues. The mag cap has indentures which lock in with the detent. If you're screwing it on tight enough it shouldn't come loose. See picture of OEM cap below.

Question - is cap stock or some after market add on?

Is the detent in place?

If not OEM, I suggest you get a new OEM part and replace the current one.

Hard for any of us to make a recommendation without seeing close up pictures of current cap both installed and uninstalled.

Regards

Attachments

• 11239.jpg
    11239.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 2
Guess I don't understand why you're having issues. The mag cap has indentures which lock in with the detent. If you're screwing it on tight enough it shouldn't come loose. See picture of OEM cap below.

Question - is cap stock or some after market add on?

Is the detent in place?

If not OEM, I suggest you get a new OEM part and replace the current one.

Hard for any of us to make a recommendation without seeing close up pictures of current cap both installed and uninstalled.

Regards

cap is stock

detent ball fell out thus problem I would have to replace the barrel

ggg sling mount has detent ball. It is not working thus unscrewing. A common problem with the 590

Here is the sling attachment

https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-590-sling-attachments.html

Understand

If you haven't I'd check with Mossberg support to see if the part can be replaced. .

If not, I'd use a small portion of Blue Loctite on the threads. That should keep it tight and if you need to remove the barrel in the future a little heat will soften it for removal.

Good luck!

Many gunsmiths will have some springs & little balls to fix this, and I think you just have to stake the ball in place and it stays.

I have to take a look at my 500 cruiser which has the same arrangement.

Many gunsmiths will have some springs & little balls to fix this, and I think you just have to stake the ball in place and it stays.

I have to take a look at my 500 cruiser which has the same arrangement.
500 and 590 have a diffrent set up on that end. Thank you.

Not all of them. Mine is a factory mutt. The tube is 590 type with 500 breacher barrel.
12A20636-01B3-4F84-8AA3-52E56F34B9CD.jpeg

I didn’t understand all your comments until I looked at the picture of the sling mount, which has a ball staked into it, but no spring. It just presses on the detent ball you don’t have any more.

That’s an old photo of my guns.

Last edited:
Back