• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Plain field barrels - no rib

M500CG

Copper BB
Does anyone know when Mossberg stopped making plain field barrels, and went exclusively with vent rib?

Cut to the chase: Having tried a total of 4 different barrels for my 1980s 500CG, when I picked up a very old, plain barrel (28” fixed modified), it was a revelation! The gun came alive: the gun carries better, shoulders better, and swings better! Truly a field gun now. I sold all my other barrels except for the 22” accu-choke (for turkey).

I don’t know how much of the difference is the weight of vent rib itself, and how much is that the newer, accu-choke barrels are thicker; but that 28” plain barrel is a full 1/2 lb. lighter than a 26” vent rib! It's like a "light contour" barrel. And after trying out the plain barrel, the newer vent rib barrels felt like lugging a sewer pipe.

So now to keep an eye out for an old, 26” plain barrel in IC.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, the Havlins are fantastic folks, and have helped me out with parts and information before - they're the best out there. I was hoping to not pester them with another question until I tried my hand elsewhere first.

As for plain barrels still being made: The only NEW plain barrels I've seen are either 18.5" security barrels, or 24" slug barrels with rifle sights. I have never seen a 26" or 28", factory accu-choke barrel that did not have a vent rib. The only plain field barrels I have seen are older, fixed choke - so I assume that ever since Mossberg went to screw-in chokes, they all got vent ribs?

Last edited:
AMEN about the Havlin folks.

Plain barrels with screw in chokes would see like such a simple process to continue making. I hope you get your answer soon.

Back