• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New shockwave owner, few questions.

DavidL

Copper BB
Hi all,
I've lurked on the forum a bit, but recently made an account. It has been great reading discussions you guys have had on hardware and accessories, really helped me out.

I've got a few questions though regarding my shockwave:
1. I replaced the stock follower (and safety) with an aluminum one from NDZ and noticed that the end of the magazine spring near the exit of the barrel had a green finish of some sort that slightly came off with some CLP. Anyone know what that is?

2. Is the heatshield that comes stock with the SPX variant removeable? I'd like to get under there for cleaning, but I don't want to bust anything up yanking on it too hard if it's permanent. It feels quite sturdy when pulling on it by hand.

3. I was thinking of getting a "Vickers Padded Sling", I noticed the SPX has two stock mounts (or rings? not sure on the terminology) would the Blue Force Gear "Side Release Swivel" be the correct mounting solution?

I'm open to advice/criticism so don't hold back.

Attachments

• shockwave 1.jpg
    shockwave 1.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 22
  • shockwave 2.jpg
    shockwave 2.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
A couple of additional questions if anyone's feeling chatty:
4. Eventually I want to mount a light of some sort, I figured a pressure pad for activation near the trigger hand would be nice, but I haven't done my research on this yet. Any thoughts?

5. I was looking at XS Sights "Big Dot Tritium", anyone have a preferred color (would a mounted light change your choice)?

6. The Blackhawk Knoxx "BreachersGrip Gen III" looks interesting... When I went to the range with my Shockwave the recoil wasn't bad, but I was just shooting bird shot. I haven't shot anything bigger yet. I'd consider the BreachersGrip if my wife thinks the recoil on buckshot is too much whenever I get her out to the range. Anyone have any thoughts on this addition? Or the legality of swapping out that raptor head?

Last edited:
Per #4:

I just got my Shockwave today. I'm thinking about the Streamlight TL-Racker for a light. Maybe that could be an option, but I'll defer to those who know more about it.

Hmmm that looks pretty interesting, hadn't heard of that. Anyone have any experience or comments?

David, first welcome to the forum and Mossbergs.

The best way I've found to clean the barrel under a heatshield is to take a length of stripped out paracord soaked in CLP and slide it back and forth over the length of the barrel. Then take a second dry piece and use it to dry and polish the finish.

Regarding your magazine spring coloring. Suspect used by Mossberg as identification as to which spring goes in which model.

One of the best lights for use on Shockwave is a Streamlight TLR-1 HL mounted on a GG&G tactical mount. Here's a link: https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-shockwave-flashlight-mount.html

Good luck

If you watch Demonstrated Concepts videos, I would either stipple the stock grip, talon tape if you prefer, or add the recoil strap - It looks simple but it is very functional and will keep that weapon tight to your hand -

The forend, I'd ditch out for a Magpul one and modify it for the action tube (vids on Youtube for this, they are normally sized for larger action tube), and another Demonstrated Concepts shout which I thought was phenomenal, he mounted a TLR7 or TLR8 on the 3:00 position on the forend to not only have his light mounted but actually acts as a functional handstop (the factory loop on the forend is one size and position fits all and really doesn't work well for my hands)

Can't help you with heat shield or magazine spring, I have a large disdain for heat shields on shotguns as they will very rarely be used in real life, and they tend to trap moisture and dirt underneath them - case in point my M500 had one mounted for a few years, I thought it was cleaned and oiled up well in the safe, brought it out 5 years later and removed shield and had to buff some fine rust marks out from where the dimples rested on the barrel - I also did not notice how much lighter the weapon felt with it removed -

Wolff XP mag springs are what I use in all my Mossbergs with an S&J Hi-Viz delrin follower, if I am removing/replacing those components

The breachers' grip (unless they recently changed it) will keep you within legal length, and can be used with a single-point sling to use the push-out technique for eye level firing far easier than the OEM grip.

Thanks for all the replies so far, I ended up getting a TL Racker for the forend. We'll see how that goes, I really like the idea of having the light so easy to toggle without disrupting what you're doing. Since this is my first shotgun I had no idea I needed a special tool to remove the Action Tube Nut to replace the forend, so that's on hold for a few days.

I also ordered an XS Big Dot Tritium Orange Sight and some JB weld that has yet to arrive. Now I'm hesitant to throw it on my barrel if this heat shield turns out to be permanent and I can't get under it for maintenance... I'm going to email mossberg and find out from the source.

Any preferred methods/locations for adding QD sling swivels? I like the idea of not having the sling on in the house, but the option of attaching one for a long trek.

I'm interested to get your thoughts on the TL-Racker. It looks great, but I'm not sure if I would accidentally turn it on and off when racking/firing. But it seems to be the best option for what I want to do.

Update:
Got a reply from Mossberg: "The heatshield on the Shockwave SPX is permanently affixed to the barrel it is not removeable."

I'll have to return the "UTG Deluxe Universal Shotgun Forend Wrench, Black" that I ordered off Amazon.
It took off the stock Action Tube Nut just fine, but where the arms attach is too short and I ended up scratching the top of my TL-Racker trying to tighten the nut. Ordering a "Shockwave Raptor Extra Long Forend Nut Installation and Removal Tool" to see if that works out better.

@Razzle The nut is tight enough to at least rack the slide and toggle the light, haven't taken my weapon with the Racker installed to the range yet. The TL-Racker grip is a bit thicker than the stock corncob and the cloth strap has a lot more room/slack than the stock one (which I feel defeats the purpose of the strap unless you're wearing winter gloves).
Not sure when I'll head to the range next, but I'll try to remember to update the thread when I do.

Pictures related

Attachments

• Racker light on forend back.PNG
    Racker light on forend back.PNG
    632.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Racker light on forend forward.PNG
    Racker light on forend forward.PNG
    624.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Racker light off forend forward.PNG
    Racker light off forend forward.PNG
    685.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Racker light off forend back.PNG
    Racker light off forend back.PNG
    873.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Racker light on ADS.PNG
    Racker light on ADS.PNG
    833.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Racker light off ADS.PNG
    Racker light off ADS.PNG
    511 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
The nut is tight enough to at least rack the slide and toggle the light, haven't taken my weapon with the Racker installed to the range yet. The TL-Racker grip is a bit thicker than the stock corncob and the cloth strap has a lot more room/slack than the stock one (which I feel defeats the purpose of the strap unless you're wearing winter gloves).
Not sure when I'll head to the range next, but I'll try to remember to update the thread when I do.

Pictures related

Thanks for the update. Please keep me/us posted on how it performs...particularly any activation/deactivation while firing.

When I bought mine, I intended to use minishells in it for home defense, exclusively. But then I realized that there were none to be found. But I remembered a YouTube video of a guy making them. I bought a few simple items (that should be arriving this week) and now I plan on rolling my own. It might be something you'd be interested in. Here's the link...

A couple of additional questions if anyone's feeling chatty:
4. Eventually I want to mount a light of some sort, I figured a pressure pad for activation near the trigger hand would be nice, but I haven't done my research on this yet. Any thoughts?

5. I was looking at XS Sights "Big Dot Tritium", anyone have a preferred color (would a mounted light change your choice)?

I thought about the Big Dot sight, but decided to add a Crimson Trace LaserSaddle to mine. Once I got the windage/elevation set, it seemed a lot easier to shoot from the hip. I haven't gotten the chance to shoot it yet, but I think I'm going to like it a lot.

... The best way I've found to clean the barrel under a heatshield is to take a length of stripped out paracord soaked in CLP and slide it back and forth over the length of the barrel. Then take a second dry piece and use it to dry and polish the finish....

Hmm, kinda like a :quote: exterior bore snake...?:quote:

Went to the range today, 100 rounds later I've come back with some feedback... (@Razzle )

I have very mixed feelings about the TL-Racker.
I found the most natural way I wanted to hold my weapon while shooting had me turning the light on accidently 1/4 of the time.
Not sure if it's because I went through 100 rounds and trying to modify my grip to not turn on the light, but the heel of my palm was getting raw from the material/recoil at about 70 rounds or so.
PXL_20210615_005022015.jpg
I added grip tape over the entire cob area before heading out. By the end of the range session, the grip tape was coming apart at the top and bottom of the cob portion so I had removed it while cleaning up at the range (don't have a pic of the tape job before heading to the range). The portion near the heel of my palm was rolled up to the point that it was useless, which probably led to my hand getting raw at the end.

It just wasn't very comfortable to shoot compared to the stock forend with grip tape.
I assume with gloves the comfort issue would be taken care of, though I can't speak to accidently turning the light on or not. In a home defense situation you won't be shooting 100 rounds or worried about a little discomfort, so if I can get to the point that I don't activate the light toggle accidentally it will be working as intended.

Here's the sight picture with the XS Big Dot Tritium Night Sight - Orange
PXL_20210615_004853791.jpg

And a pic of just the barrel + sight
PXL_20210615_004957564.jpg

The "Shockwave Raptor Extra Long Forend Nut Installation and Removal Tool" that I ordered to install the TL-Racker worked great. I read on some reviews that it can scratch the magazine tube so I put strips of grip tape covering 80% of the interior and it worked perfect.

I'll need to reapply some tape or think of a different solution for the forend, but here she is after some cleaning at the end of the day.
PXL_20210615_005125628.jpg

I guess I've read this thread at least 20 times...trying to decide whether or not to buy the TL Racker. I just couldn't make up my mind.

But then I decided to check on something. I buy everything with my credit cards - which pay me 2% cash back. I always use them for every possible purchase, and pay them off at the end of the billing cycle. I had $137 in cash back available, just begging me to make a frivolous purchase...so I did. The TL Racker should be here in a week. Normally, I don't do a lot of shopping at Optics Planet, but I had $20 in Optics Planet "Bucks" to spend, so the entire purchase allowed me to buy the forend nut installation tool on Amazon as well. My total purchase for the two items was $5.16 - which included tax and (free) shipping.

Hopefully I will figure out how to use it without inadvertently triggering the on/off switch. My Shockwave is, by far, my favorite gun to shoot. I'd love to be able to use it for home defense purposes at night.

Back