• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New guy saying "Hi"

A hacksaw and a file is what I've always used to chop a barrel. If you have a vise, put the area you want to cut outside of the jaws, and use the side of the jaw as a straight/guide for the hacksaw. Then you can go over it with a file

To add to John advice. If you barrel doesn't have a raised rib you can take a common rotary pipe cutter and use it to get a squared up a groove in the barrel. That also gives you slight relief on the crown.

Once you've done this it's easy to follow John's advice regarding the use of a hacksaw with barrel in a vise.

One other tip. Take a piece leather or a leather belt and wrap around the barrel where you put it in the vise. The leather protects the finish and keeps it from turning.

Good luck. We need pictures of the final product!

Regards

It’s your shotgun so do as you want. My $0.02 is to leave it as is. It’s a beautiful shotgun and that choke system is a treasure.
If you want a short barreled HD gun (semi or pump) you can get one for probably less than $300 if you look around.

A hacksaw and a file is what I've always used to chop a barrel. If you have a vise, put the area you want to cut outside of the jaws, and use the side of the jaw as a straight/guide for the hacksaw. Then you can go over it with a file

You're reading my mind John. IF I go ahead with it, that's exactly how I intend to do it. JMM's subsequent reply encompasses x-actly why I'm in a quandary. When I bought it, the pix of it weren't really of good resolution and I sorta expected to be getting a "beater." I didn't expect to get a gun that was in such nice condition..... and that's what's making me hesitant. Decisions-decisions! :idk:

I have an old 16 gauge with an adjustable choke.

For starters, you can't really adjust the pattern much, if any. Even screwed in as tight or as loose as it will go, pretty much still shoots the same patterns.

It fouls up very quickly with plastic wadding making a mess in it.

And you can forget about getting a good tight bead on a turkey with it because the choke blocks most of your sight picture.

I'm not a big fan of adjustable chokes to be honest. But that's just me.

srfHQ7r.jpg

Hi Back to ya Scoop. . . . Love your area! When we lived in VA we did a LOT of camping up and down the Blue Ridge and on both sides of the Smokies. Have friends over in Marysville.

index.php
[/QUOTE]

Hi Back to ya Scoop. . . . Love your area! When we lived in VA we did a LOT of camping up and down the Blue Ridge and on both sides of the Smokies. Have friends over in Marysville

That's not far from my old stomping grounds. Dad had a houseboat in Claiborne County for years. We were dual residents for a long time :)

This is all much easier if you own a pickup truck. First, unload yer gun. Then lay it down on the tailgate and draw a line around the barrel.

Next, just hang yer arm out, and you drag that muzzle on the pavement as you drive.

Keep checking’ it, and it will soon be the right length!

:ripper:

By the way, this works with tube-fed guns too. (Take out that duck plug first, so it doesn’t catch on fire!)

If you’re in a hurry you can just drive faster; or if not, drive slower for a better finish on the muzzle.
:gimme5:
(Not recommended during fire season.)

This is all much easier if you own a pickup truck. First, unload yer gun. Then lay it down on the tailgate and draw a line around the barrel.

Next, just hang yer arm out, and you drag that muzzle on the pavement as you drive.

Keep checking’ it, and it will soon be the right length!

:ripper:

By the way, this works with tube-fed guns too. (Take out that duck plug first, so it doesn’t catch on fire!)

If you’re in a hurry you can just drive faster; or if not, drive slower for a better finish on the muzzle.
:gimme5:
(Not recommended during fire season.)
@ Caddman - - - I LUV it when someone "thinks outside the box!" All I need to do now is go out and buy that pick-em-up truck. :lol:
Ummm.... on 2nd thought maybe I'll just follow John's advice (above) and go with the vise and hacksaw method. Wud love to follow the Bobster's route but he obviously has better equipped 'garage' than I have. :rolleye:

Welcome Aboard from another Bob! :)

I posted about cutting a barrel a little while back. Here is the LINK...
@ Bobster - -Thanx for the link! Would that I could imitate you! I'll probably just go (albeit carefully) with what I've got on hand. If I'm careful (realizing that 'Murphy's Law' is always in full effect) I have the files and a Dremel to dress up the muzzle and rib after I finish circumcising it. :giggle:

I have the files and a Dremel to dress up the muzzle and rib after I finish circumcising it. :giggle:

Husky (ie: Home Depot) has this deburr tool for around $9. LINK I can't vouch for this particular unit as I use NOGA brand from MSC Industrial Supply. A deburr tool is highly recommended for anyone's toolbox. :)

huskydeburr.JPG

Husky (ie: Home Depot) has this deburr tool for around $9. LINK I can't vouch for this particular unit as I use NOGA brand from MSC Industrial Supply. A deburr tool is highly recommended for anyone's toolbox. :)

View attachment 25611
Thanx Bobster - - Depot/Lowes have things I've never even heard of (and I've been a DIY homeowner for 35+ years). Based on your recommendation I'll certainly take a close look at this - for the price it may well be worth its price even if just for a 1-time use. :thumbsup:

Howdy, welcome to the club.
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.

Cheers!
:cheers:

Back