• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Durn it. I did it again this week….

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
I bought a customized Springfield MC (Marine Corps) Operator. It’s way better than my other 1911 pistols, even the Colt Rail Gun that I carried for years while on duty. It’s a really amazing gun for starting out production and then getting neat stuff done on it to make improvements. Lots of Wilson Combat parts, and tuning and a S&A MSH with full mag well, and now has a trigger that is perfect at just under three pounds.

Sounds nothing short of amazing.

I really need to get a 1911. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I've never owned one for myself. Sold a bunch of Colts mainly. But I've never owned one for myself.

I'm partial to the 1911's as well...

This is an early shot. I've introduced a magwell/ mainspring combo, skeletonized trigger and a skeletonized hammer since this photo was taken.

5036e6ca3951f71ad464e9eb8c70d116.jpg

Chris/SirAltitude

I've never fired a 1911, never cared for that matter. But man, wow. That could change my mind.

They are actually quite nice to fire as they have a 5" barrel and plenty of mass to absorb the recoil (the steel guns I'm talking). Yes they are heavy but also have a long sight radius which aids aiming and hitting the target. I was running 185 SWC loaded light with a lighter spring and recoil "felt" less than a 9mm. :) I'm keeping a regular spring now with Golden Sabers but even then the kick is not anything to stop me from smiling... :D

1991.jpg

They are actually quite nice to fire as they have a 5" barrel and plenty of mass to absorb the recoil (the steel guns I'm talking). Yes they are heavy but also have a long sight radius which aids aiming and hitting the target. I was running 185 SWC loaded light with a lighter spring and recoil "felt" less than a 9mm. :) I'm keeping a regular spring now with Golden Sabers but even then the kick is not anything to stop me from smiling... :D

View attachment 25767

I also have a Filipino mfg 1911 combat model from ATI. It needed some throat work and better magazines, but overall I love the gun for the price.
20160727_210816.jpg

This one really likes the McCormick Power 10 mags.

Thanks for your posts, guys. And a big thank you for showing photos of other 1911 pistols!

These darn things are heavy, for sure. To think that I carried one (my choice) for years, along with all the other schmoo, still astonishes me. Four of the 34 pounds I wore was just the pistol and three more loaded mags!!! Man, the weight that I could have saved....... I'm paying for it all now that I have hung it up.

Best to you all. And again, thanks for showing some other 1911 pistols. They are fascinating guns.

Dave

Nitesite, we all have made choices in our professional careers that have worn our bodies down. I'm not comparing apples, but there was 1 time that I was curious how much weight that I was carrying around when I was a lineman. With full brim hardhat, leather gloves, climbing belt, safety strap, various handtools and small parts hanging off my waist in pouches, bashlin climbers with velcro pads and 16 inch leather climber boots, added 47lb.

When I removed the climbers and put the 28' fiberglass ladder over my shoulder instead (which I had to use a lot during any normal day as well), my extra gear weight ballooned to 128lbs of my already small 165 pound body. (89 lbs of which was the ladder itself).

I could've saved some weight by using Klein brand climbers but I hated them because my ankles would bang into the shanks and hurt. And I could've saved a few more ounces by using a standard hardhat with only a brim over my face but I liked the full brim engineer hats especially in the sun and rain. But, sometimes you need to pick the gear that suits you.

So, while you added a bunch of weight to you which I have no doubt that it took its' toll on your joints and body, the important thing is you are safe and didn't hinder you from doing your job, but rather allowed you to do it.

Back