• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Choke tubes for turkey and deer

I have a mossberg 500 all purpose 28in. I was trying to figure out what is a good choke tube for turkey and deer. I’ve been looking at Carlson’s is long beard better or the same as bone collector. They are both .660.

I personally like a modified choke for slugs and buckshot in my 500.

I wouldn't use something anywhere near as tight as .660 for slugs. Sabot with a felt card underneath of it MAYBE, but still probably nothing tighter than a full choke for buckshot and slugs.

.660" xxfull/turkey chokes for birdshot for turkey would be fine. But not for anything larger than #4 at most.

Not sure if you know this or not, but the H&R Pardner chokes you can find on ebay for ~$15 or so each will also fit the mossberg.

Example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193051337546?hash=item2cf2c1a34a:g:m~IAAOSw3tNfS~KB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193051402744?hash=item2cf2c2a1f8:g:5RUAAOSwB9Fb4H8V

I have a mossberg 500 all purpose 28in. I was trying to figure out what is a good choke tube for turkey and deer. I’ve been looking at Carlson’s is long beard better or the same as bone collector. They are both .660.

You want a more open choke for slugs and tighter for turkey. I don't know what buckshot you will use for deer if that is what you use, but the choke tube makkers seem to like #4 buck for max size in their I/C tubes.

Guide to Shotgun Choke Tubes | Bass Pro Shops

I know was I want for buckshot but how good is Carlson. And well I listed the bone and long beard for which would be a better turkey choke. I should have wrote it a little bit better. I’m on Carlson’s website and trying to figure out what would be the best turkey choke tube. And I haven’t tried hunting with a shotgun. So here I am asking

and what is the preferred preference anyway since I can you my improved cyl for slugs. But for deer would I be better off with 00 buck or stick to slugs

I like slugs for deer myself personally.

Some like buckshot for when hunting in brush and stuff, but I use buckshot for 2 legged critters and home defense.

Carlson makes good chokes. But, they tend to be more expensive than other comparable options. The way I see .660" diameter is going to be the same diameter regardless of who's name is on the package and I won't tell you to pay more if you don't have to, but at the end of the day, it's your choice.

Any of the XXFull chokes should perform very similarly.

You'll need to pattern your shotgun and whatever shells you're going to use regardless of which choke you pick up anyway.

For patterning turkey shot, I often draw a small circle in the middle of a piece of poster paper or on a bunch of pizza boxes and start shooting at 20 yards and keep backing up until the shot pattern reaches the end of its' effective range so you know where to aim and close you need to be for everything to be effective enough for it to do its' thing.

I know was I want for buckshot but how good is Carlson. And well I listed the bone and long beard for which would be a better turkey choke. I should have wrote it a little bit better. I’m on Carlson’s website and trying to figure out what would be the best turkey choke tube. And I haven’t tried hunting with a shotgun. So here I am asking

and what is the preferred preference anyway since I can you my improved cyl for slugs. But for deer would I be better off with 00 buck or stick to slugs
Is buckshot legal for deer where you live? I would prefer slugs over buckshot. Even a 20 gage slug is a bad omen to any deer that gets in range. And your range is longer with a slug. Go with I/C and a slug in whatever gauge you like best. (IMHO)

I have learned after spending a small fortune on chokes that there is no magic choke tube. Every gun, ammo, choke combination will be different. No matter the hype the price etc, you just need to experiment with what works best in your gun.

I have had some $100+ ckokes that didn't pattern well with my gun/ammo combo while a $20 option worked great. YMMV based on the results you are trying to achieve.

I would start with cyl for slugs and work back from there. A small amount of constriction may actually help

I've shot rifled slugs through turkey tubes without the gun blowing up, not that I recommend it. They are made of soft lead and the ribs account for some varying constrictions.

Back