• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

If you have an ATV 4x4 single seat, do you have any extra stuff packed on board?

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Me, I’m not very fancy or trendy. I have an axe tied on board the back rack, a Ka-Bar BK-2 knife bolted to the fender, some gloves and a microfiber towel, a gun rack and a rifle, several extra bungee cords and a nylon strap or two, and maybe 25’ of rope which I keep looped on the front for an added bumper.

I have sometimes bungee corded a 24” tool bag that contains a chainsaw with extra fuel and bar oil and a sharpening file and a sqrench.

am I over-doing it? Everything probably adds thirty pounds. I think I need a good LED flood light source that runs on AA batts. They are cheap these days.

pics if you are curious…..

Curious what rifle you carry onboard...

I don't have an ATV (or rifle onboard ;) ) but my Honda XL350R on-off road has had a machete on the handlebars since about a month after I bought it new in 1985... :) It also came with a built-in tool kit. I just went through it with new tires, fork seals, mild detailing, etc. I also added the HF ammo box ($12?) and 3/16" alum plate to the optional luggage rack. This is the size up from the smaller boxes they sell. There is an alum backing plate inside the box and you can lift the back end up by the box so it isn't going anywhere. :) Suitable for anything I wish to keep from getting wet. AND I can still carry a passenger and/or 2 cases of beer on the back! :D

PS: there is also a cigarette lighter socket for such accessories although the battery is small and not really suited for heavy draws but it will charge a cell phone... :) Kickstart only, BTW and the headlight doesn't work unless it is running.

xl350a.jpg

xl350b.jpg

Last edited:
All kinds of stuff.

winch and snatch blocks. Large nylon tow strap.

I have two plastic milk crates attached to the front rack for storage and place to haul everything. In them, you'll find aTire plug kit. Small air compressor. I keep a few basic/simple hand tools. Vice grip, channelock, straight and phillips screwdriver. Wire pliers. Electrical tape. Some short scraps of wire. Few extra fuses. Simple medicines like benadryl and imodium AD and goody powders and band aids (and other stuff you'd find in a small first aid kit).

Off the top of my head, that's all I can think of, but there may be some more.

Where I ride, there are no roads or trails most of the time. And it's rough. So, you gotta be able to tackle most things yourself.

I do need a little chainsaw like you got the other day though. I've been putting off getting one for a long time. I need to suck it up and just get one. I have always used gasoline but I'm honestly thinking about a 40v electric saw. 12-14" cut would be plenty and would serve most of my needs without a problem.

I think I saw this "scenario" on a FB ad. A "self-defense" business or something. I thought it was kind of funny that someone would come at you with a knife on an ATV. :) The more I look at it, the more it would seem the person with the gun is the aggressor... :eek:

scenario.JPG

All kinds of stuff.

winch and snatch blocks. Large nylon tow strap.

I have two plastic milk crates attached to the front rack for storage and place to haul everything. In them, you'll find aTire plug kit. Small air compressor. I keep a few basic/simple hand tools. Vice grip, channelock, straight and phillips screwdriver. Wire pliers. Electrical tape. Some short scraps of wire. Few extra fuses. Simple medicines like benadryl and imodium AD and goody powders and band aids (and other stuff you'd find in a small first aid kit).

Off the top of my head, that's all I can think of, but there may be some more.

Where I ride, there are no roads or trails most of the time. And it's rough. So, you gotta be able to tackle most things yourself.

I do need a little chainsaw like you got the other day though. I've been putting off getting one for a long time. I need to suck it up and just get one. I have always used gasoline but I'm honestly thinking about a 40v electric saw. 12-14" cut would be plenty and would serve most of my needs without a problem.

Sounds like a great life, John. Congrats my friend.

And yeah, I think if you venture away from home a 12" chainsaw is a definite "must" whether 40V or gasoline. How I got along without it is beyond me!!!

My 1-up.

PXL_20201101_175555826.jpg

Just a chainsaw holder on the rear. Lost my front rack to the radiator relocator.

I used to have a gun rack but it is just more convenient to bungie it to the rack when needed. I do have a hitch installed to pull a sled or trailer for hauling gear/game/etc.

Been thinking of a rear box but just bungie whatever i need to the rack

All this talk about 4 wheelers is making me want to fire mine up later.

@MikeD I forgot to mention about my trailer hitch, but I hardly use it. I'm fearful of cracking the cast aluminum housing on my rear end.

I had to replace that part when I first bought it because the previous owner had already made that mistake. I had to have the rearend bushings and everything redone anyway and replacing the housing only added the labor and cost of the part. I think it was around $90, but still not something I want a repeat of.

It's still handy for light duty stuff though like hauling some cut up firewood and other stuff on a small trailer. It sure beats packing it all by hand. But I'm always mindful of how much weight I'm putting on it and how much pressure is on it when I'm pulling a trailer through a rough place with deep ruts and stuff.

Back