• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mounting a Choate 2 shell holder to a fore end

ARP

Copper BB
I have a 930 spx and want to mount a 2 shell holder to my foregrip just ahead of the chamber. The Choate holder I bought came with a back plate and 2 screws. My biggest concern if the mount hardware will interfere with the inner workings of the action. I am considering skipping the plate and just using the 2 screws. Of course I need to drill 2 holes thru the fore end to mount and the plate will serve as a template.

Anyone do this type of a mount?

I don't recall seeing one specifically for the 930.

No, there is not a mount specifically for a 930. It is a 2 shell holder and you use your imagination as to how and where you prefer to mount. Some use the sling, some do it ad a side car. Some mount it to the foregrip on the right side near the chamber. You would put it there so that you would have 2 slug rounds availaible quickly if you needed.

The Choate holder I bought came with a back plate and 2 screws. My biggest concern if the mount hardware will interfere with the inner workings of the action.

That would be my concern, as well. Why don't you measure the inside of the foreend and outside of the tube/spring transfer bars to see what kind of clearance you have?

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

I saw a video of the Or3gun marine tube spacer in action without the hand guard/fore grip in place. I am beginning to believe if I locate the screws between the barrel and the marine tube spacer, I should have enough clearance for it to work. Going to mask tape the plate in the hand guard first to see if it will clear and I might also find a screw the same size as my mount screw, cut the head off and tape it in as well. I may not need to use the backing plate as the screws provided have a fairly large flat underside to snug up to the hand guard

I saw a video of the Or3gun marine tube spacer in action without the hand guard/fore grip in place. I am beginning to believe if I locate the screws between the barrel and the marine tube spacer, I should have enough clearance for it to work. Going to mask tape the plate in the hand guard first to see if it will clear and I might also find a screw the same size as my mount screw, cut the head off and tape it in as well. I may not need to use the backing plate as the screws provided have a fairly large flat underside to snug up to the hand guard
If this will be your tacti-cool, burn it up at my firing lane toy, then yes, you can just use the bolts. If you plan to do any sort of competition, takes a class (-es), or use it in your home, use the back plates. Yes, if you place it over the MST, you generally have enough room. Use LT red on the bolts, and use a Dremel to grin any protrusions as flat as possible. Manually cycle your action, and look for any rubs on your MST. You can use a woodburning tool to heat and slightly depress the plates into the forearm, if necessary. By "slightly", I literally mean about 2mm. On your first range trip, fire about 3 rounds, then take the forend off and check for rubs again with live-fire.

The 930 auto loader IS a defensive/offensive tool. I sure would not use it for hunting if I hunted. But I am sure you are aware of that. When I bought it off GB, I read up on the hits and misses of the 930 before firing a shot. I then bought the parts that address the shortcomings that I saw repeatedly mentioned about cycling problems etc and installed them. I am at the point where mounting this 2 shell slug holder is all I care do to this gun. I use card shell holders on the left side of the chamber, I replaced the stock with a Choate pistol grip stock, relocated the rear sling attachment to the grip area. It is possible I may do a class at some point in the future, right now I am using video as my training aid and working the manipulations for reload.

Just to be clear, the Choate 2 shell holder is a polymer piece, the screws are for gripping plastic, I may put some type of glue in the screw holes to grip the mount screws.

Thanks for the advice on location of the part.

I mounted a 5 slot magpul pic rail section to mine just in front of the ejection port. I believe all I had to do was shorten the screws a little. I have fired several rounds through it with no issues so far.

Back