• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Forcing cone question

Just send it to magna porting. They have a website. They are the ones that do the magna porting for aim pro. They will lengthen the forcing cone and polish and back bore the barrel (supposedly) for 55.00 which i feel is a good price. Right now i live with some anti gunners (or at least the woman is the man has a carry permit like me.) therefore i can't send mine off right now to get work done. Ahhhh well perhaps some day. As far as it goes magna porting and others just need the barrel so shipping shouldn't be to terribly expensive.

Magna port website
http://www.magnaport.com/

Sent with Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

tnxdshooter said:
Just send it to magna porting. They have a website. They are the ones that do the magna porting for aim pro. They will lengthen the forcing cone and polish and back bore the barrel (supposedly) for 55.00 which i feel is a good price. Right now i live with some anti gunners (or at least the woman is the man has a carry permit like me.) therefore i can't send mine off right now to get work done. Ahhhh well perhaps some day. As far as it goes magna porting and others just need the barrel so shipping shouldn't be to terribly expensive.

Magna port website

Thanks for info

KentuckyWindage said:
tnxdshooter said:

Magna port website

Thanks for info

No problem at all. Glad I could help

I have an old New Haven 600. I want to say it's a '79 model, that was given to me by my late great-grandfather. I recently replaced the extractors, and now I have a problem cycling the action. Without a shell, the bolt nosedives causing the right extractor to contact the barrel just below the extractor slot. I took a look at the old extractor, and I notice that it had worn on an angle. I am not planning on using this shotgun often, but I would like it to be a functional firearm. Any suggestions?

olekennyroy said:
I have an old New Haven 600. I want to say it's a '79 model, that was given to me by my late great-grandfather. I recently replaced the extractors, and now I have a problem cycling the action. Without a shell, the bolt nosedives causing the right extractor to contact the barrel just below the extractor slot. I took a look at the old extractor, and I notice that it had worn on an angle. I am not planning on using this shotgun often, but I would like it to be a functional firearm. Any suggestions?

Any way you can get a side by side comparison shot of the two extractors? (old and new)

Unfortunately, no I can't. I pitched the old parts. I do have some pictures I sent to Havlin so that they could match the parts somewhere, I'll see if I can find them.

The old extractor was slightly different than the new one though. Here is a pic showing the difference.

mossbergextractor.jpg

What's a 500 AT worth?

I've got to sell a few guns to pay some medical bills & want some advice about the value of my Mossberg. I've got a Mossberg 500 AT 12 ga. It's a cruiser model with a newer cutdown "steel" barrel. Mechanically it's in fine working order, but has the usual cosmetic wear on the rails & a few minor scrathces & a few paint chips in the finish, but absolutely no rust. I'm very picky about keeping all my guns clean & oiled. Since I've never seen another 500 AT model I'm not sure what the average selling price is. Any help would be appreciated before I take pics and list it. Thanks.

Re: What's a 500 AT worth?

Check the auction sites, GunBroker Guns America etc. I did a quick search and prices for a 500 AT ram the gamut from 179 to 275 with the Turkey hunter models fetching a bit more $$$. Sorry to hear you have to sell your Mossy to cover medical expenses. Good luck and hope you can get top dollar.

Re: heat shield question

OK, I'm still pretty new to this shotgun thing, what purpose does a heat shield serve? Those with the ghost ring sights look cool. Are they very functional? My shotgun is for HD purposes.

since you shotgun is deemed HD only, a heat shield will serve no purpose to you at all. If you are generating enough heat in a home defense situation to need a heat shield you aren’t in a robbery you are in a battle...in which case a heat shield is a good thing IMO, one less thing to burn yourself on if you are moving and shooting maybe grab the chamber or barrel accidentally. The chamber and barrel are thin on a shotgun so it heats up quick. I have one but my shotgun is all purpose go everywhere utility gun and it’s not like it adds a ton of weight.....How are you associating ghost rings with a heat shield?

I'm assuming he's referring to the ATI heat shield with integrated GRS.

Like oli said, for HD purposes a heatshield is pretty useless. I spend a LOT of time shooting and put a LOT of rounds down range during each session. This last Sunday alone I put fifty rounds through the 590 in about an hour and a half. That generates a quite a bit of heat and switching back and forth between my shotgun and my AR, the heatshield has saved me more than once while handling the weapons.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I'm assuming he's referring to the ATI heat shield with integrated GRS.

Like oli said, for HD purposes a heatshield is pretty useless. I spend a LOT of time shooting and put a LOT of rounds down range during each session. This last Sunday alone I put fifty rounds through the 590 in about an hour and a half. That generates a quite a bit of heat and switching back and forth between my shotgun and my AR, the heatshield has saved me more than once while handling the weapons.
That is what I was referring to. You don't know unless you ask. Thanks! :?

The purpose for the gun is for those middle of the night doorbell rings. You don't know if it is kids or bad guys looking for a target.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I'm assuming he's referring to the ATI heat shield with integrated GRS..
Oh, that sighting system just doesn’t appeal to me personally

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I spend a LOT of time shooting and put a LOT of rounds down range during each session heat shield has saved me more than once while handling the weapons.
Me too and since I have been casing and reloading I shoot slugs and buck like they are .22's..seriously heated up the heat shield a couple times no lie, still able to grab it but it was about like holding a fresh cup of coffee

Hordack said:
The purpose for the gun is for those middle of the night doorbell rings. You don't know if it is kids or bad guys looking for a target.

A good light is what you need.

last round falling out

While duck hunting today, I noticed that I was only able to shoot the first 2 rounds out of my 500.
Aim, shoot, pump, shoot, pump, click. The last round seams like instead of it being cycled into the breach, it would just fall to the ground. This happens every time I tried to shoot 3 rounds. It does not happen when I cycle the rounds using the button that is behind the trigger guard. This happens with 2 3/4" and 3" rounds.

Re: last round falling out

I'm stumped.

Though it sounds like the cartridge stop is allowing the last shell to fall out... is it coming out before you pull the action back?

Back