• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Serial Number Data Base

I just acquired a Maverick 88 in a trade deal for a planer i had. The serial number starts with MV 050. 20" barrel Security model I am guessing.

When it comes to the Mav88 Mossberg serial numbers seem to be all over the place. Something to do with the letter on the end.
Anyway looking at we have in our data base yours could be anywhere from a 2015 to 2020.
Sorry we can't give you a more positive answer.

Ok no worries, that range is newer than I thought it might be. The number I have doesn't match any of the ones in post 1, checked that before I posted it.

Hello Folks, I've been seeking to confirm the date of manufacture for my extremely early production Mossberg Model 930. [ SERIAL # AF0102XX ] It was initially purchased as an plain 18.5" 'Security / Riot' Model, without any adornments & or accessories. Over the years, I have 'upgraded' its configuration somewhat, primarily by installing a Nordic Arms +2 Magazine Extension with Bayonet Lug / Extension Clamp Assembly. Also added were a set of XS Ghost Ring Sights, consisting of Rear Peep & Front Tritium Blade w/ Wings. And lastly, I installed an Mesa Tactical, 'Urbino' Pistol Grip Buttstock to complete the set up. Based upon what available data I've been able to locate, I've estimated its approximate manufacture date as being somewhere prior, but close to November 2007, if I've figured correctly ? What I really wish to know is; although we're all aware of the initial problems with the 930's SPX Models shortly after their introduction, I however am interested in if there were any mechanical, & or functional issues encountered within these relatively early production examples ? If anyone happens to be aware of any such issue, or issues, I would deeply appreciate her from them. THANK YOU

Best regards, Dom Pastore Jr. / dpast32

Welcome. Seems you have the serial data ok. We have a vendor here that is very knowledgeable and makes custom parts for the 930 series. I would contact them about you question. http://www.oregun.com/ and also post this in the 930 threads.
Keep us posted

THANK YOU 'Old Mossy', very much for your kind & prompt reply ! Although I pretty much followed all the troubles related to the early production 930 SPX variants, but I hoi haven't heard, & or read about any problems related to the basic Model 930 action itself. Over the years, I have read numerous informal 'test' results where the 930's had been run relatively hard, yet exhibited no, or very few actual issues. My 930 was my first Mossberg auto, although I have used & owned numerous models throughout the years. When I Retired a few years ago, the M-590 A1 was our standard issue Duty Shotgun, & it served quite well indeed. I only ended up with my 930 because a fellow Officer had purchased it with the intention of adding an pistol grip to reduce its overall length for use on his cross country motorcycle. However, when I informed him that the 930 could not utilize a pistol grip due to its design, he was a bit upset. He offered to swap me even for my personally owned 590, & I simply couldn't pass up that deal !! In the end we both walked away happy. That's how I obtained my Model 930, & I've never regretted it. I'll get a message out to 'oregun.com' with my particular concerns, & see what they have to say. Of course I will Post my communications here on the Forum. THANKS AGAIN, I appreciate your reply.

Best regards, Dom P. / dpast32

Hi; new here, long time 500 owner but first thread ive posted on.

I have 3 500A's and 1 bolt action clip fed old mossie 12 gauge, don't even know what model the bolt would be.

2 of them are twins, bought 1 for me and one for my dad, that i now have back the unfortunate way. Both are the Big 5 combos with the ribbed field barrels and included the 18.5 inch security barrels and synthetic furniture. They do have metal slide tubes, not the maverick style 1 piece, or so im told, later 2006ish and beyond 500s?
My Sn is P961xxx, and dads is P910xxx. Can someone on here get them dated fairly close? I was reading up on adding a rail to the top of the receiver, and was told they changed on 1997 and later.

I will post the sn of my 3rd 500 when i get far enough into my safe to retrieve it. It is a wood stock with a ribbed barrel and interchangeable choke tubes. Got as a gift prior to above 2, so expecting the serial ID and year to be older.
Also, if there is a forum for the bolt gun i would like to be directed to that one as well. Would like to find a few more mags for it, and get some questions answered. Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome. Look's like they are both 2000.
As far as the bolt action you can check here under discontinued models or give Havlins a call. They are the pros when it comes to older Mossy's. (636) 937-6401

@JPower As far as adding a rail on the receiver you should be good to go.
They started drilling and tapping receivers in 1990-91. The early ones were 6-48 thread. After 1997 the are 8-40 thread.

Any idea on how long they need to be?
And what kind, socket head, torx, etc?
They have the rails on amazon, but a lot of the reviews said the screws included with the rail didnt work. The last thing i want to do is dick up my receiver. Mossberg.com parts situation frankly sucks.

Sorry I don't have any screws for the receiver. My 500 is from the 1980's and not drilled out. Someone here should pop up with your answer.

And what kind, socket head, torx, etc?
They have the rails on amazon, but a lot of the reviews said the screws included with the rail didnt work. The last thing i want to do is dick up my receiver. Mossberg.com parts situation frankly sucks.

The standard rail for a 500, 1997 and later, is made by Weaver, part number 417M in a 48440 matte finish.

It's 4.5 inches long and comes with 4 each 8-40 screws.

This rail also fits a 590 and 835 models.

If you only need screws any good hardware store has 8-40 raised headed screws. The threaded portion is about 3/16 of an inch long if my memory serves me correctly. Just use a good common screwdriver to install.

Hope this answers your question because unclear the length of rail your looking for or what you're trying yo mount.

Regards

The standard rail for a 500, 1997 and later, is made by Weaver, part number 417M in a 48440 matte finish.

If you only need screws any good hardware store has 8-40 raised headed screws. The threaded portion is about 3/16 of an inch long if my memory serves me correctly. Just use a good common screwdriver to install.

Hope this answers your question because unclear the length of rail your looking for or what you're trying yo mount.

Regards

Regards

Regards
Thanks for the info. Just the standard rail for a reflex or a red dot. With an 18.5 barrel i'm not going to be doing much slugs, mostly 00 buck or a little smaller for home d use.

Thanks for the info. Just the standard rail for a reflex or a red dot. With an 18.5 barrel i'm not going to be doing much slugs, mostly 00 buck or a little smaller for home d use.

Ok, but let's go one step further in our discusdion. The rail I referenced above is a weaver style rail which is typically for mounting scopes and rings. If you're going to mount a sight or optic which requires a MIL-STD-1913 style rail (also known as a Picatinny rail) then you need to find a comparable rail. However, the screws for mounting will still be 8-40. If you need a 1913 rail and the mounting holes are not aligned with your receiver then you will need to drill them (the rail not the receiver).

Regards

Last edited:
Looking at our data base it look's to be 1997-98.
Thank you for posting your numbers. I'll update our data base.

Back