• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mav 88 “torture test” video

Not surprising. The 88's seem to be good guns. The pinned forend and being made in mexico being the biggest difference to a 500.

That's a Mossberg! 500 plus shells in a little over an hour utilizing a half dozen shooters from many shooting positions and different techniques. Good torture test.

My biggest dislike on an 88 is the trigger group mounted safety. Guess I'm to use to tang safeties.

Think the biggest takeaway is you really need to use blue Loctite to secure accessories!

Regards

Last edited:
No shocker to me. My Mav 88 20 gauge is the best $200 firearm investment I've ever made. Though I've not done the 500 round, 90 minute torture test, I have put way more than 500 rounds through my little Mav and she's still standing tall. She handles birdshot, buckshot and slugs with equal ease. I've met a few shotgun "snobs" who poo-poo my simple little Mav, but for my purpose she's a winner every single day. I highly recommend the 88. Thanx for posting this video, Bathrobeman! You've done us all a public service announcement.

The only problem that I’ve had with mine is the extractor broke. Which I guess is kind of a big deal. I wasn’t “torture testing” it either, just “regular” shooting. I didn’t notice when it broke, just all of a sudden it wouldn’t eject. Mossberg did sent me another bolt for free though and I hadn’t had any issues since.
@Major Dad I need to find a gun snob to shoot my 88. It’s a whole new animal after a little sanding with various grits of sandpaper. It’s a good gun at any price. As long as the the bolt assy stays together. Hopefully mine was just a fluke.
The recoil of the 18.5”er is kinda a mother though. I had to get an aftermarket recoil pad for mine. I dunno how the torture testers shoulders made it.

The pinned forend and being made in mexico being the biggest difference to a 500.

According to James, the 88 is actually made in Eagle Pass, TX near the Rio Grande. So while not "Mexican", I'm sure a large part of the work force are... :rolleyes: It gets its name because Eagle Pass is in Maverick Co. and was initially produced in 1988 to compete with "import" shotguns.

mossyeaglepass.JPG

According to James, the 88 is actually made in Eagle Pass, TX near the Rio Grande. So while not "Mexican", I'm sure a large part of the work force are... :rolleyes: It gets its name because Eagle Pass is in Maverick Co. and was initially produced in 1988 to compete with "import" shotguns.

View attachment 25902
Yep, it’s a Texican, being that it is assembled in Eagle Pass. Probably by Haitians soon though.

Attachments

• 70E3D3EA-4DCA-49A5-933D-791732ED7D7F.jpeg
    70E3D3EA-4DCA-49A5-933D-791732ED7D7F.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
This video got me motivated to go buy one, a Maverick Security 7+1. It'll be a truck gun mostly, and ride with me on the ATV. It it gets broken or stolen I don't give a shit 'cuz it was only $204 plus tax.

I think I am going to load it with Winchester copper-plated #4 turkey loads. They are 1-1/2 ounce at 1260 fps and have buffer material. Ought to do the trick against farm predators. Or other things.

This video got me motivated to go buy one, a Maverick Security 7+1. It'll be a truck gun mostly, and ride with me on the ATV. It it gets broken or stolen I don't give a shit 'cuz it was only $204 plus tax.

I think I am going to load it with Winchester copper-plated #4 turkey loads. They are 1-1/2 ounce at 1260 fps and have buffer material. Ought to do the trick against farm predators. Or other things.
Now you're making me think I should get one!

Yesterday I cycled the action a hundred or so times, and dry fired it a dozen times or so. It has slicked itself up quite nicely! :)

My new Mav 88 Security shot a buttload of Tru-Ball slugs and some Flight-Control buckshot today. It went perfect. :) Expensive, but worth it!

Back