• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

original vs new 500's

Mirameiah

Copper BB
as stated in my welcome thread, i do have an original mossy 500, early 1960's. it's been rebarrelled with an accu-choke barrel.

stating that, ignoring the foreend action bar (which mine is a single bar), are the recievers the same as newer 500's if i wanted to mount something simple like a side saddle for 5-6 shell holder on the side of the reciever? it looks like they kept it the same but i am wondering if there are little differences (for example plastic safety switch vs metal, which mine is metal.)

I don't know of any differences in the receivers, other than the dual vs single action bar you mentioned.

And, probably the top of the newer receivers being tapped for a scope mount.

I'd recommend using Velcro mounted shot cards vice a hard mounted side saddle.

Not sure how much use your gun gets but on very hard use guns the bolts / pins used to mount a hard side saddle tend to elongate the receiver pin holes. This, again under hard use, can cause issues with the trigger group. Not typically an issue with a lightly used guns but certainly a consideration if using it as a work gun.

IMO Esstac shot cards are the best quality. Some cheaper ones will not securely hold the rounds during firing.

Regards

I'd recommend using Velcro mounted shot cards vice a hard mounted side saddle.

IMO Esstac shot cards are the best quality. Some cheaper ones will not securely hold the rounds during firing.

Regards

^THIS

I have several aluminum shell holders. I have not noticed them moving around when fired, or bothering the receiver pin holes. If anything, I would have thought that having two contact points between an aluminum plate would actually reinforce the pin, like those antirotational AR15 pins, only on a larger scale.

1 hole/screw goes through the trigger pack to attach the rear and the other hole is at the ejector screw.

Back