• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

20ga Shockwave questions

Razzle

Last weekend, I finally convinced my wife to try out my 12ga Shockwave...and she really liked it. So I started thinking about getting her a 20ga version. But I've got a couple of questions for those of you who actually have the 20ga Shockwaves.

First, is there any company out there who makes a polymer side saddle for a 20ga Shockwave? I really don't want a nylon version if something more robust is available.

Next, what are the options for mounting a light on a 20ga Shockwave? I emailed Streamlight, and they told me that they have no intentions of producing a TL-Racker for the 20ga...so I'll have to figure something out if I decide to buy one.

I know that Crimson Trace sends a 20ga converter/spacer for their Laser Saddle, so that won't be an issue. However, getting a suitable weapon light and side saddle shell holder might be a problem.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

First, congrats on your wife for being a firearm enthusiast. That is becoming more rare. And I do not want to discourage her willingness or interest.

Never having owned a Shockwave, I will not be much help. But I think in that scenario where she uses any shotgun, of any capacity, and then has to go to a fast reload....

Is she, or are you, planning to fight in place or advance on an adversary after running the shotgun more than 2-3 rounds? Are you expecting an adversary to advance on you while under fire?

That is not exactly the scenario that I (just my opinion) would envision, except for a well trained cop or soldier who had to take the fight to the adversary and could not retreat at the first opportunity.

I absolutely love pump shotguns, but they are not for the faint of heart and require a pretty complex manual of arms, and a lot of training under stress.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest. Take care.

Razzle, great you got your wife to shoot your shockwave. I've been running one as a work gun since they first came out.

GG&G makes the best wespons light mounts for both 12 ga and 20 ga Shockwaves. Excellent product at good price.

I'd recommend shell holder shot cards by ESSTAC. Well made product.

Other alternative you might consider is second 12 ga and have her shoot only low brass, low recoil birdshot or #4 buck. Once she masters the push/pull method of shooting shockwave it's easy to handle. The one caution is don't garbage them up with stuff that makes them to heavy to handle especially if you use them every day. IMO a light and shot card is really all you need.

Regards

Last edited:
My opinion is only worth the paper it’s printed on, but I agree with Ernst. She proved she could handle the 12, and if you Opsol a 12 for her to fire the shorty shells, you both can shoot the same ammo in a pinch, with just a flick of the finger to pop out the adapter on hers..

Flick of the finger..... And that takes what dexterity, in the confusion, in a pinch???? For just slow fire range shooting it sounds great. That is "planned ahead of time" shooting. No need for a side saddle for that kind of fun.

Well you got me there. Not being even semi coordinated much less an instructor, I guess the point I had hoped to express was that by having two 12s, if my wife had burned through a hundred each of her slugs and buckshot shorties holding off those intruders, it would be nice for her to be able to dig into a box of full sized shells, even if she would have to single shot them, if she didn’t have time to drop the adapter, as opposed to having who knows how many shells sitting there,unusable.

As fantastical and improbable as your scenario may be, ;) there is no harm in preparing for it. BUT, instead of worrying about an increased 12ga or 20ga load-out/reload, I would be working my way to an American Rifle... :D

I think I left out some important information in my original post.

First, she shot some of my home brew minishells...which have very little recoil. However, I'd like to get a 20ga for her and then try my hand at rolling some 20 minis. I think she'd love the milder recoil even more than what she tried in my 12ga.

Also, neither of us are training for some law enforcement/paramilitary operation. I (and now we) just enjoy plinking and dispatching the occasional opossum or other varmint that happens to be unfortunate enough to approach.

And finally, I don't plan on adding a lot of stuff to it. I'll probably just equip it with the same options I added to mine: a Laser Saddle, a side saddle, and a light.

Back