• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bore sight blues

Bathrobeman

.270 WIN
I used an Amazon laser to bore sight a new scope. Well I went to the range and I wasn’t even on paper. Not even at 25 yards. I was lost at this point, didn’t know if I was high or low. So I went home and started over with the bore sight laser. Well this it’s what I have going on. If I remove the laser and put it back in after sighting in the scope the cross hairs are no longer aligned with the laser. It’ll be way off and the direction that it’s off changes every time. Crap bore sight laser I’m assuming?

Have no idea your type of rifle but here's a method I've used for years.

Remove the bolt so you can sight down the barrrel bore. Fix the gun so it doesn't move and setup your target at, let's say 25 yards. Sighting down the bore align the barrrel's bore on the target. Once aligned, adjust your scope crosshairs on the same target spot. Thus your scope and bore are perfectly aligned. Fire a couple of shots while the gun is still fixed to verify the impact point.

Regards

What Ernst said. If an AR you can do the same with just the upper. This should at least get you on paper--I never had great luck with the cheapie bore lasers...

On an AR simply pull the bolt and charging handle to clear the bore sightline.

I use an old magazine or mag insert fitting held in place with a bench vice to steady the gun while aligning the sights. You can align the iron sight, a red dot, a scope or even a laser utilizing this method. Typically align an AR at 25 yards and it's good at distances out to 500 yards utilizing a dope card.

On a bolt action hunting rifle simply remove the bolt and use bags to steady the weapon during the alignment process.

Note: For scope mounted rifles BSA makes a boresighter which allow very precision alignment of scopes. The tool works on calibers from .177 to .50. Not sure about the cost these days but site is www.bsaoptics.com. Have one I've had for years and it works good. Purely mechanical, no electronics or batteries.

Regards

@Ernst

Wow. An endorsement for BSA Optics. I never would have expected that, but it is good to hear that there is something they offer that does the job and does it well.

Nitesite, you got me there. Know nothing about BSA Optics!

I bought this unit about 15 to 20 years ago and like I said it's totally mechanical. And it works. Just checked an elk rifle the other day. Was right on.

Regards

Congratulations.

And, that's awesome.

Here's a few from my trailcam. Sadly, the state in their inifinite wisdom has trapped them all and relocated them to the jurassic park of southeast kentucky in bell county (that isn't even built) so tourists will spend their money.

seKYdCn.jpg

QovFqe8.jpg

John, these are magnificent animals. We are fortunate to live where they come around routinely. My wife likes taking pictures of the elk, bears, cougars and her birds. Here's a couple.

DSCN1271x.jpg DSCN1264x.jpg m

Back