• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Greetings from the West Coast of Arkansas.....

That's right! I live in Fort Smith, Arkansas! My name is Randie Coulter, I am 69 years old. I am married with 3 grown children and 6 grandchildren!

I first started hunting at the ripe old age of 9 years! I shot my first limit of doves with an old 410, side by side with exposed hammers, which I still have! I bought my first gun the following year, a single shot H&R Topper 410, that was choked down like a rifle! I started pheasant hunting when I was 12, using my dad's Remington Model 11, 12 gauge. I acquired my first 12 gauge, along with several other firearms, from my grandfather when I turned 16, a Winchester Model 97 pump! From that point on, it was all up hill!

I am looking forward to getting my Mossberg MVP Scout, along with several others, to the range and sighted in for the upcoming deer season. I've got my eyes on a Mossberg Patriot Predator in 450 Bushmaster, but that will be for hogs, a little too much for our little whitetails around here.

Looking forward to interacting with you all on here.

Randie
Fort Smith, Arkansas

Randie, Welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN!
index.php

One of our esteemed members who sadly is no longer with us (Lenny), would tell you that using a .410 bore should've been reserved for expert shotgunners. But, it's also what I started out using. Mainly because for my size at the time, even 20 gauge would've been too much and caused a lifelong flinch, so I'm thankful for my humble start using a 410. Like you, I moved up when I was ready. And I also taught my 3 sons how to hunt starting out with a 410.

You still gotta be on your game to be able to make hits on fast movers with a 410 though. So, I must admit that you did your part too.

I'm also going to welcome you to the forum and I'm glad you joined.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

One of our esteemed members who sadly is no longer with us (Lenny), would tell you that using a .410 bore should've been reserved for expert shotgunners. But, it's also what I started out using. Mainly because for my size at the time, even 20 gauge would've been too much and caused a lifelong flinch, so I'm thankful for my humble start using a 410. Like you, I moved up when I was ready. And I also taught my 3 sons how to hunt starting out with a 410.

You still gotta be on your game to be able to make hits on fast movers with a 410 though. So, I must admit that you did your part too.

I'm also going to welcome you to the forum and I'm glad you joined.

I love that little gun. It hangs honorably on the wall at my daughter's house. When he graduates from the University of Oklahoma, my grandson will be the keeper of family history. That little double was bought new in 1916 by my great-great grandfather and passed on to my grandfather, then to me.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR2018-11-18 410 02.jpg

Yeah, you're going to like this forum a lot.

What great family history !!

Both of my passions in one post, John! Guns and guitars! I've been playing guitar a year less than I have been shooting. Started in 1962. In fact, I'm getting ready to head out the door for church, where I will be doing the special music this morning

Oh, and I love me some Aaron Lewis!

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

Welcome, from The Sunny San Joaquin, to another old geezer with guns.
I shot from the age of 9, but never owned more than 2 at once until I was nearly 60.
I do own a couple old shotguns, but nothing with exposed hammers.
Color me jealous. ;)

Welcome, from The Sunny San Joaquin, to another old geezer with guns.
I shot from the age of 9, but never owned more than 2 at once until I was nearly 60.
I do own a couple old shotguns, but nothing with exposed hammers.
Color me jealous. ;)

The San Jo Whackin' Valley! Small world! That 'first limit of doves' I mentioned at the 'ripe old age of 9'? I brought them down sitting under a big old oak tree in the middle of a piece of permanent pasture, west of Tulare, California, off of Bardsley Road across from my grandparents house!

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

Last edited:
I started hunting about the age of 9 or 10 out in the Arizona desert. I’ve never been hunting in California except for the rare varmint.

I don’t get out to that part of Tulare much unless I’m driving to the coast, and I don’t do that much either. I am more likely to be fishing up at Pine flat.

We still get a lot of doves here on our property, although I cannot shoot them since we are legally in the city. Besides my wife would have a fit. She’s putting out food for them every week.

I live along the Blossom Trail. It’s in what was once an old fig orchard east of Clovis, when I moved here in ‘75. Clovis has sort of grown up around it since.

There are many layers of sand and hard pan underneath us, and in the old days they would drill a small hole with a rock hammer and drop dynamite in it. That would make a small hole to plant a tree that would grow through the layers.

Nowadays I am growing redwoods and eucalyptus and a Chinese Mulberry on that same soil, along with many other plants tended by my lovely wife.

I started hunting about the age of 9 or 10 out in the Arizona desert. I’ve never been hunting in California except for the rare varmint.

I don’t get out to that part of Tulare much unless I’m driving to the coast, and I don’t do that much either. I am more likely to be fishing up at Pine flat.

I live along the Blossom Trail. It’s in what was once an old fig orchard east of Clovis, when I moved here in ‘75. Clovis has sort of grown up around it since.

Nowadays I am growing redwoods and eucalyptus and a Chinese Mulberry on that same soil, along with many other plants tended by my lovely wife.

My wife was born in Clovis. I've done my fair share of fishing on Pine Flat, as well as Kaweah, Success, Courtright and Wishon! My dad and I split an old eucalyptus tree one time for fire wood. Those things twist as they grow and we had 3 sets of splitting wedges stuck in the darn thing at one point and had t go buy another set to get them freed up! LOL That wood sure did burn hot though!

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

Fun Factoid: isn't it true you can walk south from Arkansas into all of the neighboring states (6)? ;)

BTW: Welcome Aboard! (if I haven't already) :)

Back