• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Differences Between Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500?

It's made from the exact same receiver casting, same parts, same machines and same people. Same gun, just diff levels of work. Hung up in what way?

It's made from the exact same receiver casting, same parts, same machines and same people. Same gun, just diff levels of work. Hung up in what way?

the action would completely lock up and i'd have to wiggle the pump like i was chambering a round until it freed up. i checked to see if the shell elevator had come out of it's position, but the clips were still completely seated in their holes.

Sounds like a common "pulling on the pump" problem, It. Pump and dry fire it a few times fast and keep backward pressure on the forearm the entire time while firing. Pull it back while you're triggering it. Is that lock up what you mean? The gun won't release the bolt carrier/bolt until you release that backward pressure....push the forearm *forward* after you pull the trigger and see if that works for you. That wiggling the forearm sounds like you're pulling the pump and you're fixing it without realizing it.

If you pull your trigger group, that long thin thing right there on the top is the bolt lock. Hold the hammer and let it down slowly and watch that part drop. With the group in the gun and cocked, you can look up into it just at the back edge of the bolt carrier and you'll see it locks it in place. With pressure backward on that lock as you fire, the lock is held in place by the bolt carrier and prevented from dropping to unlock the slide. It just takes a split sec of forward pressure to release it.

Work on your form a bit by dry firing it any time you get the urge. It won't hurt it. Right hand pulls the grip/stock tight to your shoulder, left hand stays relaxed, forward to back I mean, and just aims the firearm and works the pump.

Sounds like a common "pulling on the pump" problem, It. Pump and dry fire it a few times fast and keep backward pressure on the forearm the entire time while firing. Pull it back while you're triggering it. Is that lock up what you mean? The gun won't release the bolt carrier/bolt until you release that backward pressure....push the forearm *forward* after you pull the trigger and see if that works for you. That wiggling the forearm sounds like you're pulling the pump and you're fixing it without realizing it.

If you pull your trigger group, that long thin thing right there on the top is the bolt lock. Hold the hammer and let it down slowly and watch that part drop. With the group in the gun and cocked, you can look up into it just at the back edge of the bolt carrier and you'll see it locks it in place. With pressure backward on that lock as you fire, the lock is held in place by the bolt carrier and prevented from dropping to unlock the slide. It just takes a split sec of forward pressure to release it.

Work on your form a bit by dry firing it any time you get the urge. It won't hurt it. Right hand pulls the grip/stock tight to your shoulder, left hand stays relaxed, forward to back I mean, and just aims the firearm and works the pump.

that sounds like it could be my problem, only i was putting forward pressure on the pump. it locked up about half to a third of the way back to the receiver when i was ejecting a cartridge after firing.

Sometimes they just need to be racked a few hundred times to smooth it out also. Sit on the couch and watch tv while racking it back and forth (not that you perves) DO NOT DRY FIRE. Just use the forend release and rack. It will help it out.

There's nothing a half to a third of the way back that it can snag on. Not that I know of anyway. You got me.

If you're wanting to work it out, rack it. If you want to work on your form and timing, dry fire it. Nothing really complicated there.

There's nothing a half to a third of the way back that it can snag on. Not that I know of anyway. You got me.

If you're wanting to work it out, rack it. If you want to work on your form and timing, dry fire it. Nothing really complicated there.

i was really confused myself. the only thing i can imagine is the forearm arms came off track of the action slightly and it got locked up. this is one of the reasons i asked my initial question. i have heard of numerous people having problems with their cartridge elevator coming slightly out of place if the shotgun gets jarred or dropped even lightly, and this would cause the forearm to lock up while racking a round. i was wondering if having the safety on the tang maybe held the cartridge elevator in place better.

edit: and i'm going to spend some time racking it. i need some quality time with my gun anyway.

i.e.----"made in mexico"......I own a new Maverick 88 made in "Eagle Pass" per Mossberg an old old Maverick 88 probably made in the same place, and a new Shockwave, where ever it was made. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter where they were made relative to quality or anything else. The guns all work the same and are of good quality. A testament to the good quality of a Maverick 88 is my old old one. I bought it cheap because it had not been taken care of at all and was probably, at one time, a cop gun used to break door hinges (it has the crash piece on the end of the barrel) The inside of the barrel is in like new condition though, so I bought it and put a pistol grip stock on it. I then gave the gun to a local gunsmith and he replaced the screws and pins then repainted the receiver after fixing the gouges in it, as well as took the gun apart, cleaned and lubed the action. His parting statement was that the gun's action was in as good a working condition as a new one. If you had seen the gun, nobody would have bought it but me. Today, it has a smoother action than my new Shockwave (not broken in yet) and it's a great gun. Mossberg makes one tough gun IMHO.

so the action is the same in the 88 and 500 models? i'm just wondering because my 88 has hung up on me two or three times, but i've not put more than 100 shells through it either.

For the most part yes, actions/receivers are the same with the differences noted above. If you bought your gun new, then at 100rds it is probably not quite "broken in" yet. Lube the slide and bolt and with unloaded gun work the slide back and forth about 100 times--see if that helps.

I prefer to "ease in" my guns by careful disassembly and cleaning/dressing of sharp edges on stampings and smoothing roughness here and there. I am mindful to not remove TOO much metal as it is very hard to put back... ;) I would only do this if you are confident you can put it back together properly. ;) And I am careful not to remove edges that are meant to be sharp like the sear/disconnector and extractors.

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

For the most part yes, actions/receivers are the same with the differences noted above. If you bought your gun new, then at 100rds it is probably not quite "broken in" yet. Lube the slide and bolt and with unloaded gun work the slide back and forth about 100 times--see if that helps.

I prefer to "ease in" my guns by careful disassembly and cleaning/dressing of sharp edges on stampings and smoothing roughness here and there. I am mindful to not remove TOO much metal as it is very hard to put back... ;) I would only do this if you are confident you can put it back together properly. ;) And I am careful not to remove edges that are meant to be sharp like the sear/disconnector and extractors.

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Thanks Bobster. I agree with you and no, I don't enjoy putting one back together. It either really is hard or I just don't know the trick(s). I don't think a Mossberg really needs to be disassembled completely if a good cleaning method is used. I think my method works very well and I like clean smooth guns. My Sig Sauer needed a lot of ammo thru it to break in well, so I think it applies to everything guns.

I've got a 1986 500 and it has the plastic trigger assy. No big deal IMHO. Just bought a new 88 Security model and it is just as nice as my old 500. It is also smoother than my Shockwave :angry:

My old Model 88 is smoother than the new Shockwave that I got rid of. I don't consider them practical SD guns but something for everyone. The 88 and 500 are the same gun except for safety and barrel weight. If I wanted a new one, I would get an 88. If one could have failed, it would have been mine. I bought it abused then had a gunsmith replace some screws and pins. He said he just cleaned and lubed the internals and it's perfect shooting now.

Bathrobman posted a great video on another thread regarding a torture test of the Mav 88. It’s a YouTube video by TFB. Here is a pic of the YouTube video.
650D38A5-7ED6-4FE7-A6EB-5DF59ACCE52B.jpeg

Just bought a Mav 88 7+1 yesterday. Seems to be a pretty useful pump gun for in the truck or around the farm on an ATV, especially considering the price.

I spent an hour or two Sunday and Monday, just cycling the action and dry firing it occasionally. I did disassemble it and oiled and greased the shit out of it first.

Anyway, it has smoothed up a LOT and now the slide is starting to jump back a little on its own, after pulling the trigger, much like an old Remington 870 would do. 870 shotguns I have owned that were slick with use would upon recoil almost pump themselves!

At first this Mav 88 was kinda reluctant to unlock after firing. I was pulling back on the slide (old habit) before firing and i guess that is a no-no with a brand new Mav 88. But I think I am getting close to solving that issue with having fired only ten shells thru it. It's doing the repeated cycling that seems to be making a difference, and pulling back on the slide before pulling the trigger to make it unlock. Probably just working in the barrel bolt edges at the beginning.

Back