• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Adding a Rear Sight to an M500- Bead Sight Upgrade Experiment

S.R. Crawford

.270 WIN
I kinda didn't want to make an entire thread for this but I don't know where else to put this.
I'm working on adding a little rear ring sight to my M500 to work with my bead. The idea is to have something small enough that I can ignore it when wing shooting, but gives me a little something extra when I'm shooting slugs. I've tested this concept with a mockup and it will certainly disappear the way I need it to if I'm not focusing on it so the concept is sound.

Here's what I'm working with:

rearsight.jpg
I chopped this off of a backup iron sight from an ACOG replica I have. I cut off more than I needed so I can grind it down on the belt sander to sit at the right height for my bead; that saying it will be even shorter when finished.

My plan is to JB Weld it to my receiver just behind the rail mounting holes, that way I could still install a rail if I ever felt like it. I'm not too sure how well this would hold up over time especially on such a small part, but I believe it's fairly common practice to install ghost rings with JB Weld. If anyone has any thoughts on this I'm looking for advice.

If worse comes to worse I could just screw it into one of the rail mounting holes.

This could be a good use for any extra pistol rear sights anyone has lying around; grind off the dovetail so it sits flat on top of the receiver and epoxy it on.

Scrapped the project, there's no way to get the sight aperture low enough to line up with the bead.

Last edited:
You could enlarge the bead.. and use the rail as rear sight
I'm not in it for that much, plus I feel like raising or enlarging the bead might throw off my trap game. In testing it seemed like the bead was such a small sight so far away that having the rear on there didn't really offer any advantage unless I put it further up the gun. Perhaps a very small blade sight might do the trick but I still don't think it would do much for me.

I'm not in it for that much, plus I feel like raising or enlarging the bead might throw off my trap game. In testing it seemed like the bead was such a small sight so far away that having the rear on there didn't really offer any advantage unless I put it further up the gun. Perhaps a very small blade sight might do the trick but I still don't think it would do much for me.
My wish is to add a small blade at the front, instead of a bead, for my new build.. and use the rail at the rear :D
I'm working on it :)

These are the "glhost" ring sights on my Turkey Thug. Mounted forward of the "scooped" scope rail, clamped to the barrel rib.

ghlowstring.jpg

Ok, no that's good enough. I just wanted to see placement / what distances they where placed in relation to each other. thanks

It is good enough when I SAY it is good enough! ;) To help with your placement, the barrel is 22" long. It came with a super-tight, extended turkey choke but now rocks a skeet variant--a tiny bit tighter than cyl. bore.

TAGs: SA-20 ghost ring glow sights scope rail

sight1.jpg

sight2.jpg

sight3.jpg

Back