• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

870 question, shell catches coming out of chamber...

Bobster

.30-06
This is actually an H&R Pardner Pump. Just finally took it to the range to check function and it didn't. :rolleyes: After firing a shell it FTE and tried to jam another shell up in there. Unloaded and put back in trunk. :(

Back at shop, I've determined the shell hangs up on what I call the "barrel locating lug, etc." (see pic) pulling the shell out of the extractor as the slide is pulled back. The assembly in question is pinned or brazed in but the pins are flush on the outside of the receiver so I don't think it is removable or meant to be.

Do you think I'll be OK smoothing the edge of the barrel locator? Anyone ever seen this problem?

20211130_145901-1.jpg

To my knowledge, even though marked as H&R, I'm pretty sure those are chinamese 870's.

No, I haven't see that before. I'm really trying to figure out exactly what you believe is wrong.

Is the extractor not extracting? Shell too tight in the bore?

Have you taken the barrel out of the gun and looked at it?

The gun is apart in the pic. Bolt/slide and trigger group out. I put the barrel back in to take a picture. Green arrows show the barrel, red arrow points to the rim of the shell where the "barrel locator" is blocking the shell from sliding easily. The locator is "pinned" or brazed into the receiver. You can barely see the "pins" (2) on the other side of the receiver and a slight tap did not dislodge them so I didn't push it because this gun is like-new but was only $55.55 "giggle bid" from a local seller on GB. I can see why it is like new because nobody could get it to fire properly. :rolleyes: The seller is a pawn shop and probably took it in on pawn...

PS: I went to the H&R and Remmy sister sites and sadly they are a ghost town. The barrel locator also incorporates a flat piece of spring steel that appears to put a little tension on the bolt when it is back in the receiver.

PPS: And with the gun assembled, the bolt stops at this point pulling the slide back. If I pull the extractor off the shell rim, the bolt will go back all the way. Then I can just face the ejection port down and give a shake and the shell will fall out. Everything else appears to function as it should.

shellhits1.jpg

Last edited:
To my knowledge, even though marked as H&R, I'm pretty sure those are chinamese 870's.

The "major" difference I am aware of is that the barrel loop that goes around the mag tube is in a different location but 870 barrels can be used with a tubular adapter between the 870 barrel loop and the magazine nut. Back a couple years ago when I first got it, I looked for an 870 18" barrel and would have paid more for the barrel than I did the gun so I just shortened the one that was on it... I think the adapter was another $20.

PS: I just got my nails done... ;)

hr1871apart.jpg

870baradapt.jpg

Last edited:
I would dremmel it.

If you want I can look at my 870 tonight and see how it is set up for comparison.

Out of curiosity/comparison I would like that. Just open the bolt, stick a round in the chamber and slide it back to the point I have in the pics and take your pic. No disassembly req'd. :) TIA!

@Bobster
+1 what Mike said....

I had to smooth out the leading edge (barrel locating lug LOL) of the chamber on my 870 Express Super Mag....it would jam up tight before dremmeling and polishing with emery cloth. Low brass hulls were particularly 'special' and jam-tastic...like hold the slide and pile drive the butt into the ground to open it kind of special!

I'll snap a pic for ya...I've just kept a lil extra oil on the bare metal and haven't seen any rust in the 8 years or so since. It's real smooth now...I love that gun.
20211201_185527.jpg

Pic above:
Bottom left corner of the edge of the chamber you can see a shiny spot.

Pic below:
You can see wear spots on the 'barrel locating lug'...I don't recall dremelling that part but I'm pretty sure I ran over it with emery cloth. Nonetheless...indeed a contact point. I wouldn't hesitate to take a hair off and see what happens.
20211201_185953.jpg

Last edited:
Out of curiosity/comparison I would like that. Just open the bolt, stick a round in the chamber and slide it back to the point I have in the pics and take your pic. No disassembly req'd. :) TIA!

Sorry got tied up last night and forgot. I set a reminder to do it tonight after work.

So I had to get me another "dremel" type tool from HF. $32. I mainly got it for the flexible extension. As you can see, the $5 pawn shop dremel I had was a little too fat to really get into the barrel hole in the receiver to remove metal from the locator. The extension fit much better and could also be used to remove metal from a P80 frame. The 940sc frame in the pic was done with sharp metal files and a little too labor intensive for my liking but came out good... ;) A dremel will expedite the process.

drem1.jpg

drem2.jpg

drem4.jpg

drem5.jpg

The extension attaches to the end of the dremel by tightening the collet onto a squared cable end not unlike a speedo cable then the housing screws onto the end of the dremel after the collar is removed. This setup worked well to remove about 1mm from the locator. Then I used some jeweler's files to smooth the ground end. The shell now slides easily past and the repair will be verified at the range the next time we go. A few mag loads of dummies cycled through showed no problems in and out so hopefully that is it... :)

drem6.jpg

drem7.jpg

I broke out the little armorer's stand to ease assembly. Note no hammer because one was not needed. Pins pushed right out and in with the pusher tool fabbed from a broken Ph#1 screwdriver. I ended up returning the dremel kit to HF mainly because it was battery op and they didn't have any spare batts for sale. I used the extension less than a minute. I've since ordered an even narrower handled extension from zamazom for $12. I should note that the extension from HF came not-lubricated and the biggest complaint from users was that it got hot which would make sense... :rolleyes: AND today, while looking in my toolbox side cab for a jigsaw, I came across a fairly new, brand-name Dremel that will fit nicely in the antique box... :)

drem8.jpg

drem3.jpg

Don't mention it...glad you got it sorted. I was nervous at first, thinking I might bugger it up. It really should have been a warranty issue but sending my gun away for several months didn't appeal to me either. That said, mine was a pretty common issue and there were a number of vids on Youtube showing exactly what to do. It took longer to set up and clean up than it did to fix it. LOL!

UPDATE: Finally got to the range after several months so consider this a semi- "range report" :). Usually I like to go to the range with one of the kids but they have been "too busy" on weekends to go. :( I took a late afternoon off last week to "test" 5 guns, the Pardner being the first on the list. I had 5 handguns to test as well.

My outdoor range is open from 9 to sundown and was vacant at 3pm on a Thursday. As a member, I have a keycard which opens the electronic gate allowing access to the archery, rifle, competition, pistol and plinking ranges. The weather was sunny about 85 with a mild breeze and occasional gust. The orientation of the range is that the sun shines into the covered shooting positions later in the day so while not an issue while standing (shaded) it was a little annoying shooting with sunglasses with the sun in my face. A vacant range also meant it was far more easier to sight in the pistols with frequent trips to the targets to mark them. With someone else on the range, "cold range" has to be called every time this is done which is safe for other shooters but also would be inconvenient for what I was doing. After an hour or so, I heard someone way over at the rifle range (100, 200, 300 yards) but I had the pistol range to myself the entire time... :) Thinking about it, it could also have been Sheriffs over on THEIR range on adjacent property because I didn't see any cars parked at the rifle range...

You can see a Heritage Rough Rider, its homemade stand, some ammo and another handgun in the pic along with a carpeted stand that is a club fixture and is the stand I used while seated. This is on the pistol range which has 7, 15, 25 and 50 yard backstops. This pic is of the 15 after I had moved over from the 7 (out of frame to the right). I started at the 7 for initial sighting in of the dot sight and function testing of the other pistols. The 7 is just on the other side of the plinking range which allows shotguns, mag-dumps and full-auto at clays or plastic bottles against the 15 or 35 yard berms. Shotgun slug sighting-in IS allowed at the pistol range.

range3.jpg

The layout of the ranges allows you to back right up to the range and open your trunk and unload right onto the tables. With the 15yd plinking range right next door, I tested the Pardner first with some slightly hot 7 shot. Loaded 5 then shot and cycled slowly with no problems. Loaded 5 more then shot and cycled quickly, also with no problems. The slide worked smoothly and point of aim seemed right on while shooting at leftover clay fragments on the berm. This berm is probably 40' high! :) Satisfied with the results :) and not wanting an overly sore shoulder ;), I put the Pardner back in the trunk for the day. I will probably put the "tactical" stock on for the next range outing to see if it is any more comfortable to shoot in that configuration. I'll report on the pistols in my other posts already created.

Back