• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Proud Dad Moment

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
My daughter hit the age in PA that she can buy a handgun and asked her ol' dad to help her get her first one. It didn't surprise me that she ended up with a revolver. She picked an aluminum frame Ruger, 5 shot that can take 38+ ammo. It helped that I can load them. She added a concealed permit and she's good to go. We broke it in and she was paper plate accurate at 10 yards with some fall off at 15 yards.

Attachments

• 20211017_114047.jpg
    20211017_114047.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 19
Is that a SP101? Nice choice--I've always wanted one... :)

My dot turns 21 next Feb. and I think she'll be getting a handgun to carry for her Bday. I doubt she'll want a revolver--too complicated... :D
FYI: 21 is now the "legal" age now to own a firearm in FL thanks to knee-jerking Gubna, now Senator **** Scott... :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have mentioned that she is also a heck of a fisherman too and has often outdone me for trout, bass and catfish since she was 13.

Nice. Now she can protect herself and others. Nice shooting too. Whats the required age to buy a handgun ?
In Pennsylvania the age to buy a handgun is 21 and 18 for a long arm. She was mad when she was 18 and wanted one.

Is that a SP101? Nice choice--I've always wanted one... :)
It's an LCR 38. It has a very light weight aluminum frame that she liked better than the SP101...her dad has a SP101 in .357 and loves it.

My daughter hit the age in PA that she can buy a handgun and asked her ol' dad to help her get her first one. It didn't surprise me that she ended up with a revolver. She picked an aluminum frame Ruger, 5 shot that can take 38+ ammo. It helped that I can load them. She added a concealed permit and she's good to go. We broke it in and she was paper plate accurate at 10 yards with some fall off at 15 yards.

Mike,
That is great. My wife has two revolvers. The first one was an 8-shot S&W .22 for training and familiarization.
Then she decided to get a Taurus 5-shot .38 for carry and self-defense.

I was very active in competitive shooting and I suggested that she go to some matches to get familiar with reloading with speed loaders under pressure and firing from different positions like behind walls and from inside cars.

She went to about 4 or 5 IDPA matches with that gun. Obviously she wasn't winning any trophies, but it gave her great experience firing the gun at something besides bullseyes from a stationary position. She had great support from the other participants.

So I suggest it would be a great way for your daughter to get into active shooting that has some self-defense relation.
IDPA is great with new shooters. Most clubs will even assign an experienced shooter to guide newbies thru the scenarios and explain the rules and challenges of each stage. Participation fees at my club are just $10 and juniors shoot free. Give it at try. [and report back.]

I thought the LCRs were polymer-frame with metal bits...
I double checked...they do have revolvers under the LCR name and they are internal hammer. Hers is an LCRx which has an exposed hammer for SA or DA.

Mike,
That is great. My wife has two revolvers. The first one was an 8-shot S&W .22 for training and familiarization.
Then she decided to get a Taurus 5-shot .38 for carry and self-defense.

I was very active in competitive shooting and I suggested that she go to some matches to get familiar with reloading with speed loaders under pressure and firing from different positions like behind walls and from inside cars.

She went to about 4 or 5 IDPA matches with that gun. Obviously she wasn't winning any trophies, but it gave her great experience firing the gun at something besides bullseyes from a stationary position. She had great support from the other participants.

So I suggest it would be a great way for your daughter to get into active shooting that has some self-defense relation.
IDPA is great with new shooters. Most clubs will even assign an experienced shooter to guide newbies thru the scenarios and explain the rules and challenges of each stage. Participation fees at my club are just $10 and juniors shoot free. Give it at try. [and report back.]
That all sounds good but unfortunately I don't see her having the time. She got married last year, attends college full time and has a part time job. I'll keep it in mind for that window of time between graduating and my first grand kid which she plans in 2-4 years from now

Back