• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wood Furniture - Black Aces vs. Ebay Thai Wood (Burma Padauk, Walnut)

Hey man thanks for the pics! I don't have large hands either so I was 'worried' about the grip as I already basically have my hand wrapped up to the top of the receiver to reach the trigger (Mossberg trigger group placed much farther forward than Remington for example)

I don't really have an excuse not to get a set of this furniture as I paid $250 for my Shockwave back in the golden days - Even at $400 invested its much more of a value than a 'new' Nightstick with the smooth grip.

Hey man thanks for the pics! I don't have large hands either so I was 'worried' about the grip as I already basically have my hand wrapped up to the top of the receiver to reach the trigger (Mossberg trigger group placed much farther forward than Remington for example)

I don't really have an excuse not to get a set of this furniture as I paid $250 for my Shockwave back in the golden days - Even at $400 invested its much more of a value than a 'new' Nightstick with the smooth grip.
My hands were up near the safety to reach the trigger also. I tried a few different things to keep the wave from jumping back in my hand and settled on modifying a Shockwave brand grip by adding the finger grip area of a Hogue Overmolded pistol grip. Now my arm moves back, not my hand.

Attachments

• 05AB31F7-F0B1-40EC-B780-280ECBC4B323.jpeg
    05AB31F7-F0B1-40EC-B780-280ECBC4B323.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 805B453E-20AE-4E39-8AA9-0F7699494340.png
    805B453E-20AE-4E39-8AA9-0F7699494340.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
So I'm pulling the trigger this week on Black Aces most likely as they are becoming almost gone forever -

I debated whether I should add the TL-Racker and get a fully stippled grip - my problem is, yes that is "functional" and makes the weapon more ready for HD - however, I'll be honest, the Shockwave is more fun/nostalgia/cool looking and range toy than an actual HD weapon for me - I am reaching for a pistol or one of my AR pistols or rifles for any defense duty, or probably even my full stocked M590 with 18" barrel and 7+1 tube, way before I would reach for the Shockwave -

The Shockwave is a toss in a bug out bag defense weapon for me as one of my last throw ins, if that makes sense.

Well I missed out on the Black Aces furniture - none to be had on Ebay or other suppliers from Google searching etc - so its either get the Vitoon Wood Thai furniture (he has $100 for ash stained dark wood, or $115 for walnut) or wait for more Black Aces

I did debate trading in / selling the Shockwave just because its not an ideal weapon for my uses but since I got it so cheap ($250 back in the golden days) I should just keep it for the cool factor -

Black Aces emailed me back - should have more sets after New Year - CD Arms is the main stocking dealer for them - they were nice enough to email me back quick

Usually when he is out of stock that happens - Black Aces has more sets coming to their preferred vendor which is C&D Arms Supply -

I am getting a set of Black Aces furniture and it is getting leather treatment on the grip, a leather strap, and I am having a braided leather "wrist loop" done by Northern Oak Leather Goods - if you look them up they have a lot of great pictures of their furniture with their leather work attached on their Facebook page -

53608567_2115598898555982_1488594587726381056_n.jpeg

So I am having the wrap on the grip done just not as wide (I'd like to keep some of the checkering exposed)
Getting a brown leather strap but plain, not stamped
Instead of the lanyard, I am having them do a 12" wrist strap/loop - the idea is that it would be functional to use as a Demonstrated Concepts recoil strap with my hand through it, but also have the option to remove it or not hold the weapon with hand through it as well.

That stuff looks great..my shockwave is almost entirely for home defense with maybe a little messing around at some gravel pit someday. I’ve never fired it outside my house, so I went a different way and made my own forend to give me a better grip up front. Super light also..2BCA8EF7-79A3-4F36-ACEB-217B6D42E4F3.jpeg

Last edited:
NOPE -

Lol - My dilemma was this -

Do I spend $270 (furniture plus leather work) on a weapon that I really don't love, it was ok to shoot, but I'll be honest since I am not a big guy - my PGO Mav88 is actually more 'natural' to shoot for me - I shoot my shotguns very square with short stocks - presenting the Shockwave actually makes me extend my body in a way that is not trained for me -

Its a great weapon for what it is - I ended up getting $100 more than I paid for it and the guy got a Vang Comp safety on it, and its going to his son for Christmas - I can't complain

NOPE -

Lol - My dilemma was this -

Do I spend $270 (furniture plus leather work) on a weapon that I really don't love, it was ok to shoot, but I'll be honest since I am not a big guy - my PGO Mav88 is actually more 'natural' to shoot for me - I shoot my shotguns very square with short stocks - presenting the Shockwave actually makes me extend my body in a way that is not trained for me -

Its a great weapon for what it is - I ended up getting $100 more than I paid for it and the guy got a Vang Comp safety on it, and its going to his son for Christmas - I can't complain
Good on you. I guess I’m lucky(?) in that I’ve never owned a shotgun with a long barrel or a stock.lol always pistol grip and now birds head. With no proper training, however I shoot it is the right way. In my home defense scenario, I won’t even see how I’m holding it. It will be off handed, from cover. As soon as the laser sweeps onto the target, that trigger is gonna get pulled.lol it sounds like there’s gonna be two good Christmas’s this year..

So I should probably have rephrased - the Shockwave is a great weapon for what it is - maneuverable and a big F off to the NFA -

My main defense weapon roles are AR and Glock and shotgun comes in 3rd - considering I train more on an 18" barrel or PG Mossberg for that '3rd role' I didnt want to put in the training effort on a birds head pump, I wanted it be more of a pretty piece, and like I said, after wood furniture and some leather work I did better off to just buy a different weapon and sell it -

Its more my stature and that I shoot all long guns basically squared up and elbows tucked in that the motion of holding up the birdshead grip was more unnatural to how I train -

I did pick up the Remington 870 this weekend and I must say I did not think I would be, but I am definitely impressed considering the 870's I saw a decade a go rolling off the assembly line, someone in Ilion is finally trying to get big Green's reputation back

And here is the 870 - police forend is on the way, will be stained to match (I actually really like the dark hardwood stain on this), the stock is going to LimbSaver for their grind to fit low profile pad install and he is going to bring my LOP down to 12.25" or so by chopping the stock down as well - waiting on the S&J +2 extension kit to be back in stock, will install a Volquartsen extractor and Wilson Combat dome safety on it -

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg

I like the wood myself too.

Is that one of the new REMARMS guns or a Remington?

I've been waiting to see one of the new ones and hoped they had improved.

My only 870 was made in December '89 according to the factory so it's a decent one.

Back