• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Awwwww HELL.... I was going to wait until next year but I was weak

I have certain tools I will use on my VW and certain tools I do not. They may be OK, but I want the special tools.

I graduated to water-cooled VW long ago. ;) I maintain a fleet of four and just to be able to work on them instead of the dealer I have spent at least $600 on special tools. A VW-specific scan tool and 2in1 tablet to use it were $400, timing tools $100, Tri-Square sockets, etc. not to mention tools crafted out of necessity (and frugality). The attached is a special socket ($12) used to remove the timing adjuster (phaser) from the end of the camshaft. Note how it closely resembles a Torx but a Torx will strip the head of the bolt out and make removal quit difficult. The adjuster is removed to replace the chain and tensioner used to connect the two camshafts together.

camsock.jpg

I'm looking forward to it.

iu

I hope it didn’t get snatched.
:doh::doh::doh::doh:
That would be a quad-facepalm.

And everybody knows that the smoke from paper hull shotgun ammo smells distinctly different after firing than does plastic hull ammo. So there is that holding me back until the paper stuff arrives.

Some of us didn’t have a shotgun as a child and so don’t know this.

Dave, forgot to ask earlier. What generation is your SAA?

Regards

Sadly, it is not a Colt. It is a Cimarron made in Italy by Uberti, but is almost an exact copy of a Colt except for the cylinder pin being longer and the rear sight channel being slightly wider.. Cimarron places pretty high standards for their SAA guns, and mine is the Evil Roy version which got the factory gunsmith tune-up. It's a really fun gun to shoot!!!

Sadly, it is not a Colt. It is a Cimarron made in Italy by Uberti, but is almost an exact copy of a Colt except for the cylinder pin being longer and the rear sight channel being slightly wider.. Cimarron places pretty high standards for their SAA guns, and mine is the Evil Roy version which got the factory gunsmith tune-up. It's a really fun gun to shoot!!!

Uberti makes good guns and very accetable and quality versions of the Colts SAAs.

Is it a 7 1/2 inch barrel?

Do you shoot 250 grain 45 Colt ammo?

Colt SAAs are really getting pricey especially for some of the early models which were speciality engraved. The story of the three generations is something most gun enthusiasts should study. With a small number of years these guns have been made since 1873.

Okay. My paper hull shot shells are in UPS hell. But I can show a “teaser” until then….

View attachment 26525

OK, I'm just going to say it.

I love the checkering on the handguard. I love the case coloring on it.

That is a beautiful gun.

I appreciate attention to detail and craftsmanship. That gun has both. It's a work of art.

I believe many of us agree, there's something about steel and wood. Black plastic has its' place and own attributes (rot resistant and being cheap to produce being two of the biggest ones), but when you see quality steel and wood, there is no real comparison between the them.

Certainly around here the buying trend is toward new quality guns like the CZ Hammer Coach Nitesite bought and older model ones like "JM" Marlins and pre 94 Winchesters, as examples. These old weapons are commanding prices much higher than current production models and availability in the market place has become very limited. Our discussion above on Colt SAA availability and pricing reflects the same trend in older revolvers.

Agree black plastic guns have their place but how many do you really need? But tactical cool sells guns and lots of accessories right now. Wonder how many of these new owners have ever humped a 12 plus pound weapon and a full combat loadout all day?

Regards

Wonder how many of these new owners have ever humped a 12 plus pound weapon and a full combat loadout all day?

I have not, but I have packed enough crap on my back up and down mountains in summer and winter to have no illusions what it might feel like. That's why trucks, ATV's, motorcycles & animals.......LOL!

Speaking of which...I saw a deuce and a half for sale in my neck of the woods...10K...very tempting. Un-bobbed, full tandem 6x6. I'm licensed for it so.....

I'd love to get a 6 wheeler. If it was running and in decent condition, I'd love to get that.

When you can't afford deisel for it, just go to the local restaurant when they dump out their old french fry grease and filter it out. Those things are supposed to run on just about anything.

Ok, so you've had a couple days to play with that beauty and your new ammo. We're all being really patient here...but :oldman:

Ok, so you've had a couple days to play with that beauty and your new ammo. We're all being really patient here...but :oldman:

If the light outside "gets right" then today I will get some pics and post them. It's a bluebird sky right now and I need some more diffused daylight.

Thank you for your patience. :)

Dammie. The sun never got obscured so I didn't get the diffused lighting as I hoped. The pics kind of suck. :(

Anyway...

Here is my Hammer Coach gun patterned very closely after an 1878 Colt.

And my great grandfathers' pocket watch circa 1880.

And an 1873 pattern Peacemaker in .45 Colt.

And I think I sneaked in a modern Henry Rifle which is a close pattern to the original 1860 design but more like turn-of-the-century.

SxS-1.JPG SxS-3.JPG SxS-2.JPG

I was going to add my Marlin 39A Golden lever rifle, which is an 1891 patent but I couldn't fit it in. But it is gorgeous.

Back