• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NY SAFE Act compliance?

BadKarma0007

Copper BB
Hello All,

So I'm interested in getting a NY complaint AR15 not because I want a restricted rifle BUT because I live in NY and don't want the headache. So here's a snippet of the NY SAFE Act:

"The SAFE Act has banned the following features from any semi-automatic rifle that is ‘capable of receiving a detachable magazine’ AND has ‘one or more of the following military characteristics’:
  • Folding or Telescoping Stock
  • Protruding Pistol Grip
  • Thumbhole Stock
  • Second Handgrip or Protruding Grip that can be held by non shooting hand
  • Bayonet Mount
  • Flash Suppressor
  • Muzzle Brake
  • Muzzle Compensator
  • Or a threaded barrel designed to accommodate the above (flash suppressor, muzzle brake or muzzle compensator)
  • Grenade Launcher
The SAFE Act also limits the capacity of removable magazines and even fixed magazines to 10 rounds. Hunting laws limit all semi-automatic rifles, shotguns, or pistols with a barrel length of 8-inches or longer to a 5-round capacity during hunting use."
With that "said", does that mean I would be allowed all those features (not interested in the M203 grenade launcher) if I had a FIXED 10 round magazine?

Thank you in advance :)

Save yourself the hassle and embarrassment of owning a NY compliant AR15 style rifle. If you want a semi auto consider the Ruger mini14. If you want a Bolt Action then Mossberg makes a nice rifle that accepts AR style mags. Of course I am talking about rifles chambered in .223.

Hello All,

So I'm interested in getting a NY complaint AR15 not because I want a restricted rifle BUT because I live in NY and don't want the headache. So here's a snippet of the NY SAFE Act:

"The SAFE Act has banned the following features from any semi-automatic rifle that is ‘capable of receiving a detachable magazine’ AND has ‘one or more of the following military characteristics’:
  • Folding or Telescoping Stock
  • Protruding Pistol Grip
  • Thumbhole Stock
  • Second Handgrip or Protruding Grip that can be held by non shooting hand
  • Bayonet Mount
  • Flash Suppressor
  • Muzzle Brake
  • Muzzle Compensator
  • Or a threaded barrel designed to accommodate the above (flash suppressor, muzzle brake or muzzle compensator)
  • Grenade Launcher
The SAFE Act also limits the capacity of removable magazines and even fixed magazines to 10 rounds. Hunting laws limit all semi-automatic rifles, shotguns, or pistols with a barrel length of 8-inches or longer to a 5-round capacity during hunting use."
With that "said", does that mean I would be allowed all those features (not interested in the M203 grenade launcher) if I had a FIXED 10 round magazine?

Thank you in advance :)
I believe @Water Monkey is probably your best source of info for this question. I'm pretty sure he built a NY compliant AR a few years back.

Maybe just LEAVE NY and try a state that respects the Constitution?

It's not always easy to move. Been trying to leave my state for a few years but just cannot find viable work/wages in the areas we have looked at.

As was posted, check with Water Monkey. He was stuck there for a while.

Hey guys

checking in:

there’s no precedent on what’s legal and what’s not legal with regards to the stock for AR-15s in NY. You basically have two options:

create a fixed magazine with a 10 round mag locked in there using epoxy in the mag release area. There’s a few people who make something that locks the magazine in there and you add epoxy. If you do that you can have any feature you want. You just have to feed the magazine with a device like the bear mag device which feeds the rounds into the magazine through the ejection port.

or you can buy a thordsden stock and make sure you don’t have any muzzle device, bayonet lug, front grip… ergos suck, you’ll need an extended mag release button and an ambi safety. But you can change mags fairly quickly and stay in the fight.

again both options have zero legal precedent. Many shops are doing both. The thought process is that if you do either one you are showing due diligence in adherence to the law for legal cover. But who knows how the DA will wreck you in court.

remember the law’s intent was to ban ARs and kill your round count to protect yourself.

eff communism.

Back