• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lady's Workhorse - Mossberg 500 vs Remington 870?

Welcome to MO from the Left Coast :doh:

LOL...swamp donkey! I'm using that one.

The 870 and 500 as most people on this forum will tell you, are very comparable and it's more whatever floats your boat than anything else. Many members here own both.

Hard to go wrong with either one. I've had issues with both the 500 and 870 Express Super Magnum, but for the money they're both hard to beat.

There are better shotguns out there, but like anything else they come at a premium.

Good luck!

I have owned both and still have my Mossberg 500s while the Remingtons got sold. For me I like the ease of loading the Mossberg without pinching fingers or gloves. Plus being a lefty, I prefer the tang safety.

But in reality you won't go wrong with either one. Both have served police and the US Military just fine for quite a while. Go with the one that fits yo the best and has more of the features you like.

First and foremost, welcome to the forum!

While I prefer the Mossberg you can't go wrong with either. You touched on the real issue - the ergonomics.

In my opinion, the Mossberg is easier to load on the go, has a tang safety and the location of the slide release make it the best choice.

Once you've made your choice I'd recommend Bernneke Black Magic Magnum slugs for bears and 00 buckshot for other two and four legged creatures.

I live with bears, cougars and other creatures.

Good luck and Regards

My replies in red

"Hayley Davidson, post: 292695, member: 23827"]Hi everyone!
And before anyone decides to lecture me on the basics of hunting/guns because they assume I'm a pretty lil princess, I know what birdshot, buckshot and slugs are used for. I've likely killed more moose and black bear than most of the men on this site have killed living things! Plus, how many of you who are hunters can brag about clubbing hundreds of harp seals to death every Spring? That's what I thought! :read:

I don't recall anyone assuming anything here, or judging you.

I’ve handled and shot both of them before (as my father and uncle have two sets each) but I feel myself gravitating towards the Mossberg more.

I’m a smaller lady and I can load the Mossberg easier as the shell elevator stays up. I’m always wearing leather gloves when out and have got them caught in an 870's loading gate a few times. I’ve also had the Remington’s lifter spit cartridges back out at me if I let them go when loading the gun upside down, whereas they just fall right into the Mossberg’s port.

Sounds like you just made your choice a lot easier.

FWIW, I own both 870 and 500's. When I check the trail cams and am working out in the woods, the 500 is also what I choose. For me, they are just better for me. Not that the 870 is a bad gun. It's not. But I like the layout of the 500 controls better and for me, are more intuitive and just what I prefer better.

I keep second guessing myself into thinking that the Mossberg is somehow an inferior shotgun when compared to the 870. When I’ve asked this question on other forums, I'm usually bombarded with older trap shooting dudes and Fudds who think the Remington 870 is like God’s walking stick while the Mossberg is simply a poor peasant’s stick shift.

As I mentioned, I own both. I could carry either one. But, the mossberg is just a better fit for me and just more instinctive, from a lack of better explanation. At the end of the day, if you're picking a gun for yourself, take it all into consideration and pick what's best for you. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time and money on something you don't really want just to impress someone else or make someone else happy.

If the 500 works for you, great. Pick it.

You're in good company.

Plus, in recent years, the 870 quality really nose dived, especially the last few years leading up to bankruptcy and in the end closing the company down entirely.

A new group of investors has since bought the remington name and intellectual property late last year, but they have not been making guns long enough for me to even compare them to remington of old or know if they're better yet or not.

Old being pre-2007'ish.

My 870 was made in 1989 according to the serial number.

“Steel reciever, WiNgMaStEr, MoSSbErG’s PlAsTiC TrIgGeR gRoUp, etc, etc”

I’ve seen Maverick 88 guns in the field operate just fine with abnormal abuse, while some of my friends who bought Freedom Group 870 Express models have had nothing but trouble. Shells stuck in rough, unpolished chambers, weak ejection/stovepiping because of MIM parts, finishes that rust while the gun is on the store shelf, etc.

Well, sounds like you've already heard some of the complaints of the cerberus/freedom guns. Lots of metal inejection parts (not as good as forged parts) and shoddy quality first hand.

Just wondering what some other members think?

Should I grab a Mossberg and forget about it or is the Remington 870 truly a better built gun when it comes to durability?

Kind Regards,
Hayley

Well, you have came to an opinionated place. While we are a mossberg forum, you wouldn't be shunned if you ultimately chose an 870. We'd still be just as welcoming to you and we'd still have enough in common to talk to each other. You'd still be welcome here if you don't get the 500. Or if you do.

There is a topic just the last day or two concerning plastic and metal trigger groups. And the consensus is that none of us (even the guys here that are as old as rust LOL) have never seen a broken plastic trigger guard. But the mossberg 590A1 does have an aluminum trigger guard that if you were to be lucky enough to find one, would swap out without issue into your 500 if that's what is causing your hangup and is a dealbreaker.

Or, if you ever did break it, you can pick up a complete drop in replacement plastic 500 group from ebay for about $45.

For reference, I have carried my 500 at work--many miles through the woods. I have strapped and banged them around on atv's. Bounced around in the bed of a 4x4 pickup truck through muddy trails. Been in boats caught in the rain. And has put food on the table with it.

My oldest 500 is 22 years old this year. Other than needing to finally replace some small parts, has never missed a lick.

Like I said earlier, pick what works best for you. With millions of both guns being made, there's both good ones and bad ones out there, but you don't sell millions of guns by consistently being bad. That's not a good business model.

Well, in thinking more about it, I guess remington found this out from first hand knowledge.:idk:

Hayley, not much more "commom sense" I could add to John's response but let me point out a couple of issues which you may or may not be aware of.

First, many are critical of the Mossberg's aluminum receiver and say it's not as stong as the 870's steel receiver. Truth is you have a steel bolt to steel barrel lockup when in battery with the Mossberg so that argument is not relevant.

Secondly, a problematic issue with the 870 is a broken ejector which without tools or a trip to a gunsmith can not be changed in a time of need. The Mossberg's ejector can be changed in the field with a screwdriver. Given, by your initial writeup, you live in a very rural area this might be an issue to consider.

Also, given where you live you might want to consider if you want screw in chokes or not. These work well if you maintain them but tend to freeze up from corrosion in harsh enviroments if left alone. Many of the pump shortguns today will come with a built in cylinder choke barrel which is probably all you need unless you're duck hunting.

You said you were a "small lady". Given that you should also consider the weapon's length of pull (LOP) so it will best fit your stature.

One last thought, if you can't find a 500 the Maverick 88 is also an excellent choice. There is a video on it's durability posted on the forum if you search.

If you decide on an 870, I'd try to find an older one. IMO they are superior to recent Remington offerings. Reference John's writeup on recent Remington management.

Good luck on your final selection. Let us know what you decide.

Regards

Last edited:
Back