• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Elevator seems to be stopping unload

Marvel

So whats up with this? Everything to feed and eject ok. It's just when I press the shell stop, stuff don't come down and out. IMG_4827.jpg

Check that the lugs on the elevator that secure it at the rear of the action are both in the little holes properly and that the legs on the elevator or not bent.

You might have to take it out and straighten the legs and reattach it.

Check that the lugs on the elevator that secure it at the rear of the action are both in the little holes properly and that the legs on the elevator or not bent.

You might have to take it out and straighten the legs and reattach it.
I'll take it apart and check that this evening. Thanks.

You can see if the lugs are engaged from the outside of the action. If one of them is not sitting flush with the receiver but is slightly in then you have this issue.

I have seen somebody develop the same problem on YouTube simply by smacking the gun hard on the ground or the table.

The elevator comes slightly out of position.

Well. I disassembled it. I set the elevator on a flat surface, it sat straight, both legs on the surface and no rocking or any other indicators. Reassembled and it's still the same. Going to try to put some thumbnails on here, if they end up in the correct order it should be Fully back, halfway, in battery and then the blockage again. Full Back.jpg Halfway.jpg In Battery.jpg Elevator.jpg

I am not a 590 guy, but it appears to be bent sideways. Not up or down.

Does the bare elevator look square from the top?

05108DF3-35E8-44E3-96C2-2DEDEE038A4F.jpeg 49FCD4C7-F59F-4DB3-B0AA-76AA0F045A82.jpeg Marvel, I can make my shotguns (M500 and M590A1) do this as well. My question to you is why are you pressing the cartridge stop? If it’s for unloading then all you need to do is give the shell a light pull upward with with your finger to get it over the elevator. There is nothing wrong with your shotgun.
Personally I unload my Mossy pump guns by just cycling the action with the safety switch in the safe position. I position the shotgun such that the shells eject right into a soft bag or landing area.
The M930 is a different story.

Last edited:
View attachment 26676 View attachment 26677 Marvel, I can make my shotguns (M500 and M590A1) do this as well. My question to you is why are you pressing the cartridge stop? If it’s for unloading then all you need to do is give the shell a light pull upward with with your finger to get it over the elevator. There is nothing wrong with your shotgun.
Personally I unload my Mossy pump guns by just cycling the action with the safety switch in the safe position. I position the shotgun such that the shells eject right into a soft bag or landing area.
The M590 is a different story.
The shell won't come over the elevator. The elevator will not depress, it is resting on the bolt slide. I prefer to unload the proper way. Safetys can fail and accidents can happen. I'd hate to tell my wife why I've got to replace a thermopane window or patch holes in the wall or buy a new dog.

Well I guess my mind was in the right place yesterday because that is what I did. Filed the front hump down a little at a time. Didn't know about the other part, so maybe next time. I'll have to find some touch up bluing, got some in the garage but it's super old. In the meantime I'll just keep it well lubed to prevent rust. Thanks, works fine now.

Back