• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Can I cut the barrel off?

Marvel

Hi ya
I've got a Maverick 88 20 gage. It's got a long barrel with the rib and 2 bead sights on it. Any reason that I can't stick it through a band saw or something and shorten the barrel to just in front of the first bead? I've just got it as a home defense type weapon. 590 up stair and the 88 down.
Me 590:
IMG_4878.jpg

Nothing wrong with that as long as the barrel remains a minimum of 18 inches long and the overall length of the gun meets or exceeds 26 inches.

Anything less than those minimum measurements is felony territory unless you apply for a $200 SBS (short barrel shotgun) tax stamp to go any shorter.

Nothing wrong with that as long as the barrel remains a minimum of 18 inches long and the overall length of the gun meets or exceeds 26 inches.

Anything less than those minimum measurements is felony territory unless you apply for a $200 SBS (short barrel shotgun) tax stamp to go any shorter.
And that measurement is from where the barrel meets the receiver to the end of the muzzle, correct? My 590 is listed as an 18 inch barrel, but if I measure it when removed it has a length of 20 inches, installed it is 18 inches muzzle to receiver.

No.

Barrel length is measured from inside where the shell would meet the bolt to the end of the barrel.

Easiest way to check the barrel length, close the bolt, slide the cleaning rod in the barrel until it stops. Then mark the cleaning rod where it exits the muzzle.

Measure it, that will tell you how much you can cut off.

If the barrel is listed at 18 inches, I doubt you'll be able to remove much, if any off of it.

I thought mossberg used 18.5" barrel minimums?

But I doubt you'd want to go through the trouble to cut 1/2 off of it and redo the front sight, etc.

Search my posts--I've shortened several barrels over the years and posted about it. Most recent was a Pardner Pump. It too had a vent rib. I think I ended up at 19ish inches just forward of the vent rib support. Then I drilled/tapped and installed the bead in the support.

No.

Barrel length is measured from inside where the shell would meet the bolt to the end of the barrel.

Easiest way to check the barrel length, close the bolt, slide the cleaning rod in the barrel until it stops. Then mark the cleaning rod where it exits the muzzle.

Measure it, that will tell you how much you can cut off.

If the barrel is listed at 18 inches, I doubt you'll be able to remove much, if any off of it.

I thought mossberg used 18.5" barrel minimums?

But I doubt you'd want to go through the trouble to cut 1/2 off of it and redo the front sight, etc.
My 590 is listed at 18 inches (on the box). The Maverick 88 that I want to shorten is much longer.

Well, as long as the barrel length remains at least 18.0 inches, you're golden.

Well, as long as the barrel length remains at least 18.0 inches, you're golden.
Well I just pulled it off and measured it. Muzzle to breech is 26 inches. Breech to where I WANT to cut it off is 16.5 inches. Time to reevaluate. Suckbutt feds. I searched through the headings on your posts and didn't see anything regarding barrel shortening. Maybe they only go back so far.

I'm not sure, but the National Firearms Act (NFA) was enacted in 1934, which regulated barrel and overall lengths.

There are a number of bills that have been submitted this year to abolish those, however, they have very little chance of passing without a lot of support and gun owners making noise.

But, if you can contact your elected reps to let your voice be heard, is all that I can suggest you do about that unless you want to file a form 1 and pay the gov. $200 to cut it where you want. Or cut it to 18 inches or more and be done with it.

Click the link below and you should be able to use a pre-written letter and read the bills if you'd like because I agree, they are stupid laws.

https://www.gunowners.org/goa-backed-bills-repeal-sbr-sbs-aow-regulations/

Back