• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Surefeed AR-15/M-4 Magazines

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
Okay Industries, a U.S. based company who has been making aluminum mil-spec magazines for both the military and civilian use since the early 1970s has announced they will discontinue production at the end of the year. It's unknown at this time is they plan to sell the manufacturing assets.

If anyone needs additional Surefeed mags it probaby the time to buy them. Some retailers are already showing certain models out of stock. In addition to their 30 round and 20 round traditional offerings they make 10 round version. Plus, in addition to the traditional Grey these mags are available in Tan and Black finish.

Millions of these have been used by the military since Vietnam.

Regards

I have a bunch of those myself.

It's also the same as what our local national guard armory unit uses primarily as well.

I have nothing against them, but I still like magpul followers better and I generally swap out all of my followers for magpuls. They just seem to feed better.

Once upon a time, before photobucket screwed all their users, I had a topic here that had probably more than a dozen different brands, but that was very long ago before we got this software forum. There were a few earlier ones than this one.

^John, I certainly could be wrong but I thought Surefeed and Magpul currently use the same followers in their 30 round mags. The 20 round mags are of different designs. Whereas, Magpul uses a curved body, the Surefeed is the traditional straight body design. But both manufactures use the newer anti-tilt follower designs for positive feeding.

Regards

The ones that I had were the older light green follower mags.

They were "ok" (no pun intended).

But not as good as the magpul followers for sure.

The newer ones may have magpul followers in them? It's been a while since I've bought an AR mag. To be honest, I can't remember the last time that I have.

But these are the style that were in the okay mags I had.
587667.jpg

^John, I was curious this morning regarding the followers Magpul and Surefeed were using in their 20 round magazines so I downloaded two of my mags.

It's interesting because the Surefeed follower looks exactly like the green one you pictured above. Only difference is it's black.

Whereas, the Magpul follower is a totally different design and the raised part is squared off front to back with a flat ramp up front vice the bullet nose shape in your picture. And the color is grey.

Both of these magazines are fairly new.

Obviously the other differences are the overall shape - Magpul is curved whereas Surefeed is straight. Plus the Magpul magazine is 13/16 of an inch longer.

But, best for us, both function correctly.

Note: I looked at a sill new in the wrapper Magpul 30 mag and it has the same squared off design as the 20 round follower. Appeard the only difference is it is green.

Regards

Yeah, the magpul is a different follower. I was under the impression the green follower above was what OKAY always used. At least the ones that I have were all like that. I have a small ziplock full of those that I took out and replaced with the magpul followers.

I have several of all different colors. Orange. Yellow. Black. etc.

MAG110-YEL_Z.jpg

^John, yes, that's the Magpul follower I was describing (or trying to). Like I said the 20 round one is grey and the 30 round one is green. Both are recently manufactured mags.

They probably change colors depending on the mood of the assemblier that day! LOL

I have several of each manufacturer and have had no issues with either. I'm still old school and load either 18 or 28 rounds.

Regards

I generally download 1.

But, I understand. I was just trying to add some pics to the discussion.

Yep, I have a bunch of D&H mags. I even beta tested some they made for the 9x39 AR15 market. I have several of those. Last I seen of them, they were around $50 each at midway and brownells and such.

I'm not sure if they are going to continue making them however since the 9x39 russian import market is now DOA.

Their regular AR mags can be found between $8-12 pretty much anytime you see them.

Just a followup guys. I just received some additional Okay Surefeed 30 rd magazines today and they have the green Magpul followers which, other than a different color, are the same as John's post number 6.

Time to stock up if you need some.

Regards

Back