• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got a Smiff and Western 642 today, but sad to get it...

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
The good part, it has only had five rounds fired thru it. And it is a +P no-lock version. I like that it has no lock.

How do I know it has only had five rounds thru it?

About 12 years ago my wife and I bought this revolver for Kathy's dad because he had laid his Rossi 2" 5-shot on his truck and forgot it was there and he lost it somewhere when he drove off.

After giving this 642 to him, he came to my house and he shot five rounds of Federal NyClad 125-gr +P thru it that I had given him, and then I loaded it up with another five, and he apparently put it on his nightstand. Because those same five NyClad rounds are still in the gun.

And early this morning he passed away, and while our family was looking for important papers and funeral clothes I came across it. Kathy's brothers all said that I should get it back which was very kind of them.

It's a sentimental gun to us.

The good part, it has only had five rounds fired thru it. And it is a +P no-lock version. I like that it has no lock.

How do I know it has only had five rounds thru it?

About 12 years ago my wife and I bought this revolver for Kathy's dad because he had laid his Rossi 2" 5-shot on his truck and forgot it was there and he lost it somewhere when he drove off.

After giving this 642 to him, he came to my house and he shot five rounds of Federal NyClad 125-gr +P thru it that I had given him, and then I loaded it up with another five, and he apparently put it on his nightstand. Because those same five NyClad rounds are still in the gun.

And early this morning he passed away, and while our family was looking for important papers and funeral clothes I came across it. Kathy's brothers all said that I should get it back which was very kind of them.

It's a sentimental gun to us.

sorry for your loss!

In case you might think we were premature to start dividing up his belongings, there is a good explanation.

We had to get the few guns he had out of the house immediately because he was living in the house which had belonged to his girlfriend (herself recently deceased) and her family was ready to swoop in like vultures to take anything of value. So we had to get the family stuff belonging to him out right away.
image-jpg.1076859

...her family was ready to swoop in like vultures to take anything of value.

It is sad that this sort of thing happens and I've seen it too many times... :( But better to get the guns and ammo out of there than to let them fall into the wrong hands! Plus an estate is less complicated to settle if there aren't firearms in the equation...

Please give your wife my sincerest condolensces. I am very sorry to hear about this.

I also understand why the hurry to get some things. When my wifes' father passed away, his brother in law was taking stuff out of the house before they had even loaded him into the ambulance to take him to the morgue.

Seriously.

That was a tense moment when I went to his house after the funeral to demand the guns back. He wasn't wanting to and was trying to act like he hadn't taken them but I saw him carrying them across the yard and put them into his van and I would have stopped him then and there but my wife was distraught and more important at the time, but he seemed to have listened to reason when I was losing my patience. I finally told him I didn't care about the excuses or the lies, but I wanted my wifes stuff and told him he'd could do it the easy way or the hard way but I was completely OK with either way. His wife had been listening from in the kitchen, came outside on the porch where we were at and told him it wasn't worth the trouble and to come in and get them and give them to me.

What he didn't know is that if he hadn't given them to me, I had every intention to go straight to the police station and report them stolen and tell them I saw him take them. I had the serial numbers from when I had cleaned them all for him because my wife asked me to write them down just in case something like that would happen and I was 100% prepared and willing to do it and press charges. I can't stand someone like that.

Now, she has her fathers guns. Exactly as it should be.

Back